The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

As it stands right now, Do you think we'll win the Stanley Cup?

Sedinry

Will we win the Stanley Cup with this current team?  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i thought we paid 4.6M/Y for 6 years for a top 2 defenceman in Garrison???

Ballard sure isnt cheap either..

Maybe our over hyped third liners will tear it up and live up to thier CDC potential?

For a team on the cusp of winning the cup who had alot of money to throw around, now look like a contract retirement land. We made some questionable signings, and are no better for it.

Gonna continually hope for some amazing trade for real impact players that will never happen.

No doubt we are a good team but at the moment, clearly not ready to win the cup

The problem from what I see stems from their back end. We lack a defencemen that can clearly handle the puck without fumbling it.

No where is the problem more glaring then on the power play. Sedins are great but without a real quarterback at the point, they become too one dimensional

Its clear now that mg has not found a suitable replacement for either Erhoff or Salo. Garrison for now has shown a clear habit of just throwing the puck down the ice when he feels pressured even though hes not.

Until we truly find an offensive defencemen, our only chance is to play the lock it down approach that AV advocates, good luck with that in the playoffs.

No. I am not sold on our offense, despite the talent on "paper" so i think we could use another top six forward. The defense should be adequate as long as we get healthy but we should have a clearer picture by the time the trade deadline rolls around..we definitely need some stable lines back there tho; none of this changing up the pairs every god damn game. If they really don't start to improve maybe look at trading Ballard now and finding a suitable RH d-man...

Clearly any team can win a Cup in todays day and age. Favourites are thrown out the window. I believe a big, strong but skilled team with great goaltending will win the Cup and these are the teams that fit that bill:

Pittsburgh

Boston

Tampa Bay (very big, playoff-ready defence and highly skilled forwards, need a goalie though)

Philadelphia

Rangers

Anaheim (my personal favourite, basically L.A 2.0)

Vancouver

St Louis

Los Angeles (maybe not after they pissed away Gagne for nothing)

San Jose

Notice Chicago aren't on that list. Quite simply, they're built for regular season success with all their skill, but don't have great offensive depth (pretty poor 4th line) and defensive depth will be a worry in the playoffs. They're a relatively small team now, and despite their numbers these goalies are far from elite, they're just enjoying great team defence in front of them.

So based on that we have a 1/10 shot.

No. I am not sold on our offense, despite the talent on "paper" so i think we could use another top six forward. The defense should be adequate as long as we get healthy but we should have a clearer picture by the time the trade deadline rolls around..we definitely need some stable lines back there tho; none of this changing up the pairs every god damn game. If they really don't start to improve maybe look at trading Ballard now and finding a suitable RH d-man...

As it stands right now....no.

The 2nd line is disfunctional as is. There doesn't seem to be any real chemistry between Booth and Kesler. I think that Kesler should be up on the 1st line with the Sedins and build a 2nd line around Burrows and Higgins. The 2nd line centre is going to have to come via trade. If Kesler is going to stay on the 2nd line then it should be as a winger.....not as a centre.

We need a centre like Malhotra that can dominate the faceoff circle on the 2nd line and who is willing to utilize his wingers.

The 3rd line needs a centre with size. Schroeder has done an admiral job of filling in but he is too small to be a longterm solution.

The defense looks solid on paper but I wonder about that when they totally fold as soon as Bieksa goes down to injury.

In goal we have too really solid goalies but they are inconsistant just like the rest of the team.

This team seems to panic in our zone and then take a cheap penalty to stop the play. We have some forwards who are not willing to pay the price to get the puck out of our zone....they look great against teams that don't have size and backcheck but they have not comitted to turning it up against the bigger teams...they rely on the PP to bail them out. What we really need is a bonavide goal scorer or two so that we are not playing so many come from behind games. Those last minute goals are exciting to watch but not very reliable.

I'm sorry I completely disagree with that. You can't compare regular season games to playoffs. Detroit is exactly the type of team we would break in a series. Chicago is the only team we may have difficulties with but they're firing on all cilinders and we are 1-0-1 against them. There is no way in hell luongo loses a series to crawford or emery.

Edit... only way we lose is if we match up against a goalie who pulls a thomas or quick

As it stands this very minute...no..because there are guys coming off injuries that haven't played competitively in almost a year.

Do the have a chance in April?...yes..If last year taught us anything.it's that anything can happen.If the Canucks get on a roll ,and our goaltending gets hot..why not?..Most of the armchair experts here on cdc who say the Canucks have no chance, are the same ones who discounted the LA King last year.

My heart says yes, the mind says no!

2010/11 was our greatest chance, two chances to win it and we still lose. If my facts are right,NO TEAM in NHL history has lost the Cup after having a 2-0 in the Finals except the Canucks.

Since Game 6 of the final against Boston, we have not been the same team. Something is missing and I don't believe we have the toughness, size and shut down D to eat up minutes in the playoffs.

My other area of concern is the stat thrown around on this board in the past. NO TEAM has won the cup with a coach that they have had longer than 6 years having not won it previously. I like AV, agree he is a very good coach, but firmly believe that he has passed his expiration date. With the same group, the message goes stale, no matter how much the players buy in or how good the coach is, history shows this to be a truth.

That is how I feel TODAY. I hope and pray that I am wrong. The 38 year long fan in me always thinks, "This is the Year"!!!!

Why they will win

Mike Gillis has assembled a team that is capable of grinding through a long playoff run

- Deep on Defence

- 2 solid goalies

- We have the offence on paper.

- we also have depth on fowards Booth, and HIggins are not even 30 yet and are proven 30 goal scorers in the leauge. WE also have Mason Raymond, who is having a career year, and we have the Sleeper in Ryan Kesler.

Why we wont win.

Despite having a deep defence, we are missing a star defencemen. Nuff said. Our offence has looked different ever since the departure of Christian Ehrhoff. We have yet to really replace him, and losing Salo hurt us too.

I do believe anything can happen.

Archived