11 replies to this topic

#1 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,884 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I don't think it's been posted here yet, not that I looked very hard mind you.

http://www.vancouver...4111/story.html

VANCOUVER — Amid reports, since denied, that the Calgary Flames were planning to move their Abbotsford Heat farm team to Utica, N.Y., Chicago Wolves GM Wendell Young was left wondering Monday about his American Hockey League affiliation with the Vancouver Canucks.
The Canucks and Wolves are in the final year of a two-year agreement and Young doesn't want to be left at the altar if something happens in Utica, where people there are actively pursuing an affiliation, and a pile of dominoes begin to fall. There are 30 AHL teams and each has an NHL affiliate.
"With all the rumours out there, I've probably already had 8-10 inquiries on whether we're going to be an open affiliate in Chicago here," Young said over the phone. "Vancouver is not saying 'no' and they're not saying 'yes.' I don't want to be sitting here in June and have to take what's left. I'm antsy myself.
"If we're back with the Canucks, then I kind of have a read on who's coming through junior, who has a possibility of being on my team and what would be needed from a veteran or free agent standpoint to complete the roster. It's hard to plan ahead when there are so many uncertainties. It's a little frustrating from my side."
The Flames admit they have been approached by Utica interests but issued a statement saying they were "committed to Abbotsford and have made no alternate commitments." They are in the fourth year of a 10-year
deal

in Abbotsford. If the Flames opted to sell the Abbotsford franchise to the Canucks, who would then put their farmhands there, they would themselves need to purchase another AHL franchise. The Canucks don't own the Chicago Wolves.
Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman was guarded Monday when asked for a comment.
"We've had a very good relationship with the Wolves, their ownership and their management over the last two years and we are currently in discussion with them about what the future holds," Gilman said. "As of this point, I'm not sure how it's going to unfold. My experience in the American Hockey League, there are times when affiliations don't get sorted out until the summertime, as was the case last time."

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#2 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

If the Heat do leave Abbotsford, I'd love to get the Canucks AHL affiliate. However, I'd hate to see a situation where Abbotsford ends up with no team in any league.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,485 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

"We've had a very good relationship with the Wolves..."

Past tense.

I'd start acting like the Canucks were no longer the Wolves' affiliate if I was Wendell Young.
Posted Image

#4 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Past tense.

I'd start acting like the Canucks were no longer the Wolves' affiliate if I was Wendell Young.

... over the last two years..."

Should be past tense.

Though I think that is wise for Young to do no doubt, but I am sure all will be revealed in the "discussions" they have. Either way I am sure the Wolves will have an affiliated NHL team next season.
Posted Image

#5 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,100 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Past tense.

"We had" is more indicative of a past relationship that has since ended, while "we have had" tends to indicate what a relationship has been without placing the same finality on it. I'd hardly say it's conclusive, and since Gillis recently met with Young to discuss the future, I'd assume Young is going to base what he does off of what conversations happened in that meeting versus a single comment in a news article.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,485 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Didn't say 'we have.' 'We had' sounds worse for a relationship you want to keep, no matter how you interpret it.
Posted Image

#7 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,485 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Not conclusive of course, but if they aren't coming out and telling us directly they're staying in Chicago, then it's likely coming to an end. Depending on what happens with the Calgary->Utica situation.

That being said, Chicago's one AHL team that will definitely survive without an NHL affiliation.
Posted Image

#8 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,342 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

I think it's a safe bet that Gillis and co haven't been happy with the situation in Chicago.

They have no control over how their prospects get developed there, and our prospects are more often scratched in favor of veterans.

It will be good for the Canucks to get their own farm team where they can focus on developing all of our prospects in one place. Chicago has an agenda of winning, not developing prospects. That's not gonna help the Canucks going forward.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#9 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

I think it's a safe bet that Gillis and co haven't been happy with the situation in Chicago.

They have no control over how their prospects get developed there, and our prospects are more often scratched in favor of veterans.

It will be good for the Canucks to get their own farm team where they can focus on developing all of our prospects in one place. Chicago has an agenda of winning, not developing prospects. That's not gonna help the Canucks going forward.

There are a few organizations in the AHL that are more about winning that player development, Chicago is one of them. The AHL is a developmental league to helping your top prospects become NHL ready is the number one priority. Some people may argue that winning will help develop the prospects, but not if it means playing the AHL verterans (who aren't Vancouver property) ahead of your prospects. If Gillis has the opportunity to move the minor league affliation away from Chicago I say do it as quick as possible.

#10 Gillyfluffball

Gillyfluffball

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

So I have a really dumb question if the Canucks end their relationship with the wolves and put their own AHL team in ABBY they still will get to take all those wolf players that Van drafted/traded for right? I am assuming even if they play for the wolves they are still part of the canuck organization? I know nothing about junior hockey.

Posted Image
Do Not Trade TanevPosted Image

Thanks TS <3

#11 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

So I have a really dumb question if the Canucks end their relationship with the wolves and put their own AHL team in ABBY they still will get to take all those wolf players that Van drafted/traded for right? I am assuming even if they play for the wolves they are still part of the canuck organization? I know nothing about junior hockey.

Any players that the Canucks drafted or signed would relocate to Abbotsford. The Wolves have signed some players to AHL contracted directly, those players would stay in Chicago.

#12 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,100 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Didn't say 'we have.' 'We had' sounds worse for a relationship you want to keep, no matter how you interpret it.

Yes he did. 'We've' is a contraction of the words 'we' and 'have'. All we know right now is there isn't any positive language about the affiliation continuing beyond this season, which can be interpreted in a number of ways, as you've done below.

Not conclusive of course, but if they aren't coming out and telling us directly they're staying in Chicago, then it's likely coming to an end. Depending on what happens with the Calgary->Utica situation.

That being said, Chicago's one AHL team that will definitely survive without an NHL affiliation.

The Calgary/Utica situation has already been debunked, so I don't think it changes what we do with the Wolves.

That doesn't mean things can't change. Perhaps the Canucks are having conversations with the Flames to buy the Heat and swap affiliates (or at least take over the Abbotsford affiliation) and if that's within the rules then it'd certainly change things. It's more likely that if we do change, the Heat end up having nothing to do with it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.