The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel Day-Lewis...the greatest actor ever?

Dream Theater

I believe a strong argument can be made for this. He has only acted in 28 films total which makes his 3 leading actor Oscars absolutely amazing and he is the only actor to ever win this many leading actor awards at the Oscars. The argument can also be made that he should have won Oscars for his leading roles in Gangs of New York and In the Name of the Father as well.

What are your thoughts on this?

Well, I love Daniel Day-Lewis, so I'm inclined to agree. Personally, I think he should have won over Adrien Brody in 2002, but Brody was excellent in an Oscar guaranteed role regarding the Holocost. You take Daniel Day-Lewis out of Gangs of New York, and the movie is just not nearly as watchable, which is why I would have given it to him. The same can be said about There Will Be Blood. Though truly superb writing, the film would have been all sorts of snooze had DDL not been involved.

If anyone doubts DDL's ability, watch My Left Foot. That role itself truly separates DDL from all current actors. There are a lot of actors, I assume, that just put in the bare minimum as it's a paycheque, and they're too far gone now to do a "normal" job. It's clear that DDL sees what he does as an art, and not a job.

Without question the greatest working actor, case could be made for a few past generations actors. However there are still 3 actors that have no academy awards that blow my mind:

Johnny Depp

Leonardo Dicaprio

Julliane Moore

Now, Johnny takes on more comedic/slapstick roles, however his portrayals and dedication is amazing.

*** Christoph Waltz should also be in this discussion, the man now has 2 oscars and has only done a small handful of non television films, but will be a force going forward.

Without question the greatest working actor, case could be made for a few past generations actors. However there are still 3 actors that have no academy awards that blow my mind:

Johnny Depp

Leonardo Dicaprio

Julliane Moore

Now, Johnny takes on more comedic/slapstick roles, however his portrayals and dedication is amazing.

*** Christoph Waltz should also be in this discussion, the man now has 2 oscars and has only done a small handful of non television films, but will be a force going forward.

When I saw him in Gangs of New York I was hooked. I had no idea who he was but his performance was awe inspiring. I instantly began watching his other works and I soon realized that he was the best that I had ever seen. I don't expect to find anyone who is better either.

Johnny Depp

Leonardo Dicaprio

Julliane Moore

Archived