The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel Day-Lewis...the greatest actor ever?

Dream Theater

People play the same character over and over. Some of them just get lucky and happen to pick the right movies to get the most success of. Johnny Depp is guilty of being the same character in almost every movie unless it's a dramatic one. I like Leo but he's like exactly the same in every movie. I'm not sure if it's right to blame the actors, or more that movies suck and have horrible writing that makes it impossibles for characters to have actual depth and diversity. I almost think that the best actors would be ones that aren't from Canada or the US. Because they can use different accents to an extent to break apart their characters more, as stupid as that might sound. Philip Seymour Hoffman's accent and voice are too distinctive in every movie, and it makes it hard for me to think of him as a different character, not to mention his appearance.

But yeah, I definitely think the best actors are the ones that can change their appearance and their accent and pull it off in a believable way. And like.. actually change their appearance. Not just get a haircut.

DDL is a treasure. Best ever is a bit much. You could make a strong argument for DeNiro, if you choose to ignore his nest building over the last decade. Personally, I think DiCaprio is a phenomenal actor. People trash on him for Titanic, but no actor alive would have turned down that opportunity. And his role choosing is exceptional, he just never seems to take a bad role. Christoph Waltz is way too early. Wait until he's water cooler talk in a movie not written by QT.

In a wild card choice, I think Ryan Gosling is well on his way. His body of work is phenomenal, save one or two early films (again, which rising actor wouldn't have done The Notebook) and he's just beginning his prime. Also, he's beloved, both by his audience and the industry. He'll get a shot at almost any role he wants. If he keeps doing things the right way, he could end up being a generational actor.

In a wild card choice, I think Ryan Gosling is well on his way. His body of work is phenomenal, save one or two early films (again, which rising actor wouldn't have done The Notebook) and he's just beginning his prime. Also, he's beloved, both by his audience and the industry. He'll get a shot at almost any role he wants. If he keeps doing things the right way, he could end up being a generational actor.

DDL hamming it up with the funny accent and scowl for the 5th time in his career? please

his performance in Gangs of New York was the least impressive of the bunch in that Oscar year

Nicholas Cage should have won for Adaptation, hands down

turturro is awesome, but i don't know if it's just that he always works with great filmmakers like the coen bros.

i agree with CAPSLOCK re: Leo. While he did do a good job in Django, it wasn't anything remarkable, and was just more in line with the typical "Leo role" of a larger than life historical figure that occasionally speaks calmly, but then has big, dramatic outbursts in a funny accent. Isn't that the bulk of Leo's career at this point?

Although he was great in Gilbert Grape, he just does more of the same these days.

Archived