The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel Day-Lewis...the greatest actor ever?

Dream Theater

re: Leo in Django, I thought he was great. There's a lot of subtle nuances to his playing that character. I have a bad Oscar version on my computer and I've watched it a few times, and there's some reaction shots (when Django lips off to Stephen, when he's coming to grips with the reality of the situation) and a lot of great deliveries. If anything, you could say that the pompous airs that give that aura of 'Faux Southern Gentleman' is because that's exactly what he was. A Southern man who thinks too much of himself (the French-love, considers himself intellectual) to create a veil of sophistication over a man who is really just pampered and ignorant.

Also, there's a scene in Django, where Leo slams the table and his men get the jump on the good guys, and he smashes a sugar holder that was on the table, and he was visibly gushing blood out of his hand. The remainder of the scene, where he's talking to them, he not only refuses to break character, he calms down after his victory and slowly picks shards of glass out of his bleeding hand while addressing his foes. That was a brilliant scene that kind of underscored why his character worked. He was simply too proud to ever concede anything to anyone.

Anyways, I thought he was very good in Django, but it was also a film where everyone around him was borderline flawless. I probably wouldn't use it as an advertisement of his greatness, more supporting fodder if anything.

re: Leo in Django, I thought he was great. There's a lot of subtle nuances to his playing that character. I have a bad Oscar version on my computer and I've watched it a few times, and there's some reaction shots (when Django lips off to Stephen, when he's coming to grips with the reality of the situation) and a lot of great deliveries. If anything, you could say that the pompous airs that give that aura of 'Faux Southern Gentleman' is because that's exactly what he was. A Southern man who thinks too much of himself (the French-love, considers himself intellectual) to create a veil of sophistication over a man who is really just pampered and ignorant.

Also, there's a scene in Django, where Leo slams the table and his men get the jump on the good guys, and he smashes a sugar holder that was on the table, and he was visibly gushing blood out of his hand. The remainder of the scene, where he's talking to them, he not only refuses to break character, he calms down after his victory and slowly picks shards of glass out of his bleeding hand while addressing his foes. That was a brilliant scene that kind of underscored why his character worked. He was simply too proud to ever concede anything to anyone.

Anyways, I thought he was very good in Django, but it was also a film where everyone around him was borderline flawless. I probably wouldn't use it as an advertisement of his greatness, more supporting fodder if anything.

Archived