Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Daniel Day-Lewis...the greatest actor ever?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#61 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,808 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Glory, Philadelphia, Training Day.

Yeah, 3 identical characters.

please. Denzel has played cop / FBI agent or renegade cop at LEAST 15 times in his career. denzel is king of middle-of-the-road thrillers.

he's good at what he does (i guess?) but let's not suggest he's got a wide range or something

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#62 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

re: Leo in Django, I thought he was great. There's a lot of subtle nuances to his playing that character. I have a bad Oscar version on my computer and I've watched it a few times, and there's some reaction shots (when Django lips off to Stephen, when he's coming to grips with the reality of the situation) and a lot of great deliveries. If anything, you could say that the pompous airs that give that aura of 'Faux Southern Gentleman' is because that's exactly what he was. A Southern man who thinks too much of himself (the French-love, considers himself intellectual) to create a veil of sophistication over a man who is really just pampered and ignorant.

Also, there's a scene in Django, where Leo slams the table and his men get the jump on the good guys, and he smashes a sugar holder that was on the table, and he was visibly gushing blood out of his hand. The remainder of the scene, where he's talking to them, he not only refuses to break character, he calms down after his victory and slowly picks shards of glass out of his bleeding hand while addressing his foes. That was a brilliant scene that kind of underscored why his character worked. He was simply too proud to ever concede anything to anyone.

Anyways, I thought he was very good in Django, but it was also a film where everyone around him was borderline flawless. I probably wouldn't use it as an advertisement of his greatness, more supporting fodder if anything.

#63 Spoderman

Spoderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Guys, the greatest actor ever is Tommy Wiseau

Posted Image

Posted Image

Credit to BananaMash for both

STHS GM Anaheim Ducks

#64 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

re: Leo in Django, I thought he was great. There's a lot of subtle nuances to his playing that character. I have a bad Oscar version on my computer and I've watched it a few times, and there's some reaction shots (when Django lips off to Stephen, when he's coming to grips with the reality of the situation) and a lot of great deliveries. If anything, you could say that the pompous airs that give that aura of 'Faux Southern Gentleman' is because that's exactly what he was. A Southern man who thinks too much of himself (the French-love, considers himself intellectual) to create a veil of sophistication over a man who is really just pampered and ignorant.

Also, there's a scene in Django, where Leo slams the table and his men get the jump on the good guys, and he smashes a sugar holder that was on the table, and he was visibly gushing blood out of his hand. The remainder of the scene, where he's talking to them, he not only refuses to break character, he calms down after his victory and slowly picks shards of glass out of his bleeding hand while addressing his foes. That was a brilliant scene that kind of underscored why his character worked. He was simply too proud to ever concede anything to anyone.

Anyways, I thought he was very good in Django, but it was also a film where everyone around him was borderline flawless. I probably wouldn't use it as an advertisement of his greatness, more supporting fodder if anything.

I agree he did a good job. I just don't think his performance was particularly remarkable. He didn't sell the character to me. I saw an actor playing the role of a Southern Gentleman. Whereas with say Waltz and Jackson, I believed they were those characters.

BO KNOWS

#65 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

please. Denzel has played cop / FBI agent or renegade cop at LEAST 15 times in his career. denzel is king of middle-of-the-road thrillers.

he's good at what he does (i guess?) but let's not suggest he's got a wide range or something

So you just prefer to ignore him when he reaches out?

Mo' better Blues and Cry Freedom can be added. Apparently he was great in 'Flight' as he was nominated (again) for best actor tho I haven't seen it.

Have you even seen any of his other films or are you just interested in gangsta stuff??
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#66 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Denzel received all these awards/nominations for one of his roles. Guess what film this was.

Chicago Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor
Kansas City Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor
MTV Movie Award for Best Performance - Male
NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture
New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor
Silver Bear for Best Actor43rd Berlin International Film Festival.[37]
Southeastern Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor
Nominated—Academy Award for Best Actor
Nominated—Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#67 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

There will be blood was brilliant.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#68 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,808 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Denzel received all these awards/nominations for one of his roles. Guess what film this was.

Chicago Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor
Kansas City Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor
MTV Movie Award for Best Performance - Male
NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture
New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor
Silver Bear for Best Actor43rd Berlin International Film Festival.[37]
Southeastern Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor
Nominated—Academy Award for Best Actor
Nominated—Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama

no idea, but he probably played a renegade authority figure in it.

Safe House
Unstoppable
Taking of Pelham 1, 2, 3
Deja Vu
Inside Man
Manchurian Candidate
Man on Fire
Out of Time
John Q
Training Day

Here are 10 of his last 15 movies. Are you suggesting these roles require a large range?

Denzel Washington has been in a few good movies, some may even be considered a stretch from his usual role, but are you honestly going to say the bulk of this dude's career isn't cruising down safe street?

I'm not saying LITERALLY every single movie he's in is the same role, but there's A LARGE chunk of his filmography devoted entirely to the same feel, yeah.

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#69 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,200 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

Although he was great in Gilbert Grape, he just does more of the same these days.

Referring to his early career, he was also pretty good in Basketball Diaries.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.