The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Higgins a Severely Under-rated Player

D-Money

Higgs is awesome in his role. Unfortunately he is a UFA at the end of this year, and we're currently cash strapped with 55m tied up in 13 players for a 64.3m cap hit. It really creates the debate as to who we can keep in the ~2mil range between Higgins and Raymond, while we still have to sign Lapierre and Tanev. In my opinion, we keep Higgins, and Gillis pulls a money ball move and deals Raymond at the deadline for a banger. This way we don't lose Raymond for nothing, as he will most certainly see a bigger paycheck on the open market than here, where his salary was cut.

He's the best forechecker on this team and one of the best in the league. If we had more players play the gritty, tough but skilled game of Higgins the Cup would be ours. You win in the playoffs with guys like this. Big hitters who have amazing hands and a great shot.

Hopefully Hansen, Booth and Kassian can learn from Higgins and play as good as he does because if we have 4 Higginses this team will win a Cup for sure.

Yep, Higgins is great. And you are right, he is underrrated by a lot of Canucks fans because he isn't flashy. He's the kind of player you never have to worry about because of his tremendous work ethic. Even if Higgy's not scoring, he is extremely effective.

He's extremely strong along the boards, and combined with his work ethic, always giving full effort, he is a tenacious forechecker and excellent at puck retrieval. He has pretty decent hands too.

Oh, and DAT BEARD, and DEM ABS. :bigblush:

I couldn't agree with you more OP. I love Higgins! I was so happy he got a goal last game and I hope that one goal will make it so other fans will watch his play more carefully. He may not be the most offensive as in scoring goals player but he is one of the most consistent.

I agree OP! Higgy looked mighty sharp out there with Kassian. They just need someone other then Kesler for that 3rd spot. I wouldn't mind seeing Schroeder out there with them, Kassian would keep the other team in check around Jordon.

Archived