The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Minor Hockey Coach who Tripped Opposing Players -15 Days and 1 Year Probation

Wetcoaster

That right there is why I could never be a lawyer.

As for this particular case - disgusting attitude that the coach had. His fingering the crowd after just proves what a "gem" he is. Question: If the kid hadn't hurt his wrist, is it still considered assault? It reminds me a lot about hockey (oooh, note the tie-in!) when it seems that the outcome more determines the severity of the punishment. I've seen some bad hits that thankfully didn't result in more major injuries go unpunished. Why is it that the consequence of injury severity weigh on the outcome (I mean, a kid tripped doesn't always end in a broken wrist!)

I don't see how the kid wearing hockey gear has any bearing on it. What if it was a playground and he pushed a kid off the swing?

The bottom line is, it was an adult (and I use that term loosely) assaulting a minor. That is completely unacceptable and the punishment fit the crime, IMHO.

The punishment fit the crime? Jail is going to make the old man more angry than he clearly already is. This guy needs rehabilitation.

I understand that what he did is a crime. But jail isn't the solution to crimes like this.

I doubt that this sentence has anything to do with rehabilitation. This guy has been banned from coaching, and rightfully so.

The severity of the sentence is more likely than not, meant as a deterrent for other adults, who might get too "emotionally involved" in the sporting activities of children.

Using this as a precedent for future incidents similar would be stupid in my opinion. This guy is not a criminal. I cannot stress this enough. He clearly has anger management or something similar of that sort. Jail as retribution for this "crime" is not fitting in any way. Economically, it's going to cost a lot of money. Politically, it's stupid. And socially, we should be getting this old man the treatment he needs. Once again, jail isn't going to get this guy to have an epiphany and become all happy overnight.

Rehabilitation.

Using this as a precedent for future incidents similar would be stupid in my opinion. This guy is not a criminal. I cannot stress this enough. He clearly has anger management or something similar of that sort. Jail as retribution for this "crime" is not fitting in any way. Economically, it's going to cost a lot of money. Politically, it's stupid. And socially, we should be getting this old man the treatment he needs. Once again, jail isn't going to get this guy to have an epiphany and become all happy overnight.

Rehabilitation.

Rehabilitation.

Archived