68 replies to this topic

#61 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

That right there is why I could never be a lawyer.

As for this particular case - disgusting attitude that the coach had. His fingering the crowd after just proves what a "gem" he is. Question: If the kid hadn't hurt his wrist, is it still considered assault? It reminds me a lot about hockey (oooh, note the tie-in!) when it seems that the outcome more determines the severity of the punishment. I've seen some bad hits that thankfully didn't result in more major injuries go unpunished. Why is it that the consequence of injury severity weigh on the outcome (I mean, a kid tripped doesn't always end in a broken wrist!)

Every person deserves a defence regardless of a lawyer's personal opinion.

It is up to the Crown to prove all elements of the crime charged for as the Charter notes it is legal guilt that is at issue. "Any person charged with an offence has the right..to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal."

And it is a duty upon lawyers to provide the best defence possible for all accused as allowed by law.

Per the BC Code of Professional Conduct - Canons of Legal Ethics:

It is a lawyer’s right to undertake the defence of a person accused of crime, regardless of the lawyer’s own personal opinion as to the guilt of the accused. Having undertaken such defence, the lawyer is bound to present, by all fair and honourable means and in a manner consistent with the client’s instructions, every defence that the law of the land permits, to the end that no person will be convicted except by due process of law.

http://www.lawsociety.bc.ca/page.cfm?cid=2637&t=Chapter-2-%E2%80%93-Standards-of-the-Legal-Profession#2.1-3
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#62 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

I don't see how the kid wearing hockey gear has any bearing on it. What if it was a playground and he pushed a kid off the swing?

The bottom line is, it was an adult (and I use that term loosely) assaulting a minor. That is completely unacceptable and the punishment fit the crime, IMHO.

The punishment fit the crime? Jail is going to make the old man more angry than he clearly already is. This guy needs rehabilitation.

I understand that what he did is a crime. But jail isn't the solution to crimes like this.

Edited by MillerGenuineDraft, 01 March 2013 - 01:42 AM.

MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#63 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,017 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

The punishment fit the crime? Jail is going to make the old man more angry than he clearly already is. This guy needs rehabilitation.

I understand that what he did is a crime. But jail isn't the solution to crimes like this.

I doubt that this sentence has anything to do with rehabilitation. This guy has been banned from coaching, and rightfully so.

The severity of the sentence is more likely than not, meant as a deterrent for other adults, who might get too "emotionally involved" in the sporting activities of children.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#64 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

2 weeks for breaking someone's wrist? What a joke.

#65 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

I doubt that this sentence has anything to do with rehabilitation. This guy has been banned from coaching, and rightfully so.

The severity of the sentence is more likely than not, meant as a deterrent for other adults, who might get too "emotionally involved" in the sporting activities of children.

Using this as a precedent for future incidents similar would be stupid in my opinion. This guy is not a criminal. I cannot stress this enough. He clearly has anger management or something similar of that sort. Jail as retribution for this "crime" is not fitting in any way. Economically, it's going to cost a lot of money. Politically, it's stupid. And socially, we should be getting this old man the treatment he needs. Once again, jail isn't going to get this guy to have an epiphany and become all happy overnight.

Rehabilitation.
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#66 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

Using this as a precedent for future incidents similar would be stupid in my opinion. This guy is not a criminal. I cannot stress this enough. He clearly has anger management or something similar of that sort. Jail as retribution for this "crime" is not fitting in any way. Economically, it's going to cost a lot of money. Politically, it's stupid. And socially, we should be getting this old man the treatment he needs. Once again, jail isn't going to get this guy to have an epiphany and become all happy overnight.

Rehabilitation.

A sh!t leopard can't change its spots.

#67 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

2 weeks for breaking someone's wrist? What a joke.

???? with children, why not?

#68 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,017 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Rehabilitation.

You missed my point. This isn't about stopping this particular guy from doing it again, it's about making sure that some other clown doesn't decide to do it.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#69 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

Rehabilitation.

In this case Tremblay was already on probation for an earlier assault.

Parliament has set out that offences against children are to be treated seriously as an aggravating factor on sentencing and the judge was clear this sentence was to send a message to Tremblay and society at large (aka specific and general deterrence).
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.