The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Coyotes 4-2 Canucks

JE14

Would take any of them over AV anyday.

Quinn and Ruff especially. Those guys can motivate players and gets teams ready to play.

Lol rather than call us all morons, I would love to hear a logical explanation from one of you AV supporters as to why he should remain the head coach of this club, every one that wants him gone, provides reasons, it would be nice for the opposite side of the debate to do the same rather than just trashing everyone who can see reality.

I'm just an armchair GM.

For the people that defend AV, what makes him a good coach?

Does he inspire and motivate his players?

Are his strategies better than opposing coaches?

Does he recognize team chemistry and creates optimal lines that get the best results?

The only thing I constantly hear is, he led the team to 2 presidents trophies and the stanley cup finals.

But my question is, did he do anything special to make that happen?

If we had hitchcock, babcock, tippet, quenville, would we not have won the 2 presidents trophies?

If so, what did AV do to make this happen?

I'm just an armchair GM.

Does he recognize team chemistry and creates optimal lines that get the best results?

The only thing I constantly hear is, he led the team to 2 presidents trophies and the stanley cup finals.

If we had hitchcock, babcock, tippet, quenville, would we not have won the 2 presidents trophies?

I hope you dont think my previous post that you were responding to was serious, it was complete sarcasm. I've had it with AV and I want him gone.

To partially answer your question, I think AV is a decent regular season coach especially when he has good talent to work with. Other than that he's nothing special. The Canucks would appear to have tuned out whatever (if any) messages he's had to send them.

AV's system played to the strengths of this team. He focused on passing, cycle game, puck possession and the power play to generate scoring. He was a perfect match for a team led by the Sedins and stocked with quick, agile wingers.

The problem is that AV's system has essentially been neutralized by the league. Our team's kryptonite is slashing, holding, hooking, interference and a lack of powerplays. I watch games now and "defensive" teams are really just obstructive teams. Look at 2010-11 games and you'll see how successful our style was and how different the play was compared to now. We used to generate odd man rushes. Now guys are held behind the play and refs turn a blind eye. You'll also see a lack of odd man rushes when we lost. Some teams had the defensive ability to shut us down but many didn't and we rolled over them. Now you don't need defense. You just need warm bodies to whack away like morons, grab jerseys/sticks and clog up the neutral zone. When the Canucks could no longer play their game, good hockey became infinitely more rare across the league.

The question is, when does AV abandon his system and draw up a new one? Does he even have time to develop one, let alone teach it to the team when we're playing every other day and travelling more than any other team? Personally I think the lack of practice has a profound effect on us regardless of systems and realignment will benefit us massively. But then we'll have to wait quite a few months to find out if that's the case.

I have to laugh at the full throttle homerism on Sportsnet. Play of the game is Garrison's all but meaningless goal and they chalk up the loss to being tired even though Phoenix were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights on the road.

Pretty dull game. Lappy was bad. It would nice to see Kassian or Schroeder do something offensively, both are pretty cold. Edler and Garrison were a disaster on that 3rd goal.

Just answered your own question. It wasn't just today, that's how the Kings waltzed all the way to the Cup last year. Aggressive, aggressive forecheck is the name of the game last year and this year.

Of course, we could adopt our style and have it change entirely next year.

Consistency needs to happen in this league, and fast.

You guys are such lousy fans, if you paid any attention to hockey you would know that the first game after a road trip is always tough. Phoenix played hard and the Canucks didn't have the energy to fight through Tippet's hard-checking style of defence, it happens sometimes.

But all I hear is that the sky is falling! Get real, it's regular season, none of this is *really* critically important. They're exhibition games for the most part. If the Canucks were going all-out 100% every night and losing that's one thing, but with this schedule it's more important to conserve energy, some games you're just not gonna have it. I accept that, it's a realistic point of view, but you guys expect perfection night-in, night-out, no exceptions. That is NOT a realistic point of view. Your negativity and betrayal of the team you supposedly roots for offends the hockey gods, and as a consequence they turn their faces from this team and smite us. That is on all y'all for your negative attitude!

Now for real, the coach/GM is not gonna get fired. There are not gonna be any big deals before the deadline, and maybe not even then. The Canucks are most likely going to have a really good month of March, after all we play Columbus three times, Colorado twice, Edmonton and Calgary one apiece, Minny twice. No ridiculous stretches of games, all manageable. We should have the division locked up by Equinox.

But that ain't good enough for you, is it? You want to see perfection in a random regular-season game on a weekday. That's because you're unreasonable and stupid. You think that how the team played tonight is a portent of how it will play in the playoffs, or something; well how does that make any sense? I'll give you a portent: if y'all turn your backs on this team, despite how good and successful it is; if you cry for the coaches' heads like the traitorous Province editorial section has taught you; if you boo, and curse, and whine, and heckle your own team, and trash them in the comment boards and on the call-in lines; if, in short, you act like you hate this team and want them to fail, THAT is what will ruin this team. Y'all did it last year, at the end of the season! I saw it, you turned tail, you undermined them, you booed and you doubted and denied so much that Jesus Christ took St. Peter and St. Thomas aside and said "see boys, that's how it's done." I for one have had enough of this garbage...it's time for you to just shut the hell up and get behind your team!

I'm just an armchair GM.

You guys are such lousy fans, if you paid any attention to hockey you would know that the first game after a road trip is always tough. Phoenix played hard and the Canucks didn't have the energy to fight through Tippet's hard-checking style of defence, it happens sometimes.

But all I hear is that the sky is falling! Get real, it's regular season, none of this is *really* critically important. They're exhibition games for the most part. If the Canucks were going all-out 100% every night and losing that's one thing, but with this schedule it's more important to conserve energy, some games you're just not gonna have it. I accept that, it's a realistic point of view, but you guys expect perfection night-in, night-out, no exceptions. That is NOT a realistic point of view. Your negativity and betrayal of the team you supposedly roots for offends the hockey gods, and as a consequence they turn their faces from this team and smite us. That is on all y'all for your negative attitude!

Now for real, the coach/GM is not gonna get fired. There are not gonna be any big deals before the deadline, and maybe not even then. The Canucks are most likely going to have a really good month of March, after all we play Columbus three times, Colorado twice, Edmonton and Calgary one apiece, Minny twice. No ridiculous stretches of games, all manageable. We should have the division locked up by Equinox.

But that ain't good enough for you, is it? You want to see perfection in a random regular-season game on a weekday. That's because you're unreasonable and stupid. You think that how the team played tonight is a portent of how it will play in the playoffs, or something; well how does that make any sense? I'll give you a portent: if y'all turn your backs on this team, despite how good and successful it is; if you cry for the coaches' heads like the traitorous Province editorial section has taught you; if you boo, and curse, and whine, and heckle your own team, and trash them in the comment boards and on the call-in lines; if, in short, you act like you hate this team and want them to fail, THAT is what will ruin this team. Y'all did it last year, at the end of the season! I saw it, you turned tail, you undermined them, you booed and you doubted and denied so much that Jesus Christ took St. Peter and St. Thomas aside and said "see boys, that's how it's done." I for one have had enough of this garbage...it's time for you to just shut the hell up and get behind your team!

I really think this is the what happens to this team when you take away a lethal powerplay.

This team has always gotten confidence from its powerplay. It's what has allowed us to dominate and get those one or two extra goals to put us over the top.

But now the word is out, and the refs aren't giving the Canucks the benefit of the doubt with tripping calls. Not that it would matter cause our PP has been very weak.

If we don't get the PP going, this team will not be the same team. Maybe we should look into getting Whitney from Edmonton. Somethings gotta give though.

Archived