The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Refs

The Magician

I cannot stand the refs anymore. They are driving me crazy. Everytime we build some momentum hamhuis brushes beside a guy and boom what do you know he's sent to the box. Or we are cycling the puck and there's a trip that a 5 year old could make the call on, but they just allow play to continue. I mean how is the Burrows getting punched in the face not equal to or worse than the Hansen suspension on Hossa? Daniel has no reputation of diving what so ever and gets a stick between the legs and its diving? Like come on. Everyone will say that the Canucks are to blame and the refs have barely anything to do with it, but it's hard to do anything when you get in a rythm and the refs ref like they are blind folded with broken whistles that they swallowed. Anybody else feel the same way?

The Reffing has been brutal for every team, not just the nucks, whichs makes me wonder, who the frack is in charge of reffing operations?

For the football fans out there, what does the NFL do that is different from the NHL in terms of ensuring consistent calls (in regular season and playoffs) and accountability on the officials? I saw how much of a debacle the replacement ref saga was last year and was very impressed by how the NFL addressed it.

I used to feel bad for the refs for not having jobs during the lockout, now, i'm not even sure they deserve to be employed. (harsh, i know, but you can't help but feel frustrated as a fan of the sport)

Maybe I am reaching here but it seems from the small amount of games I have seen with other teams playing if any team is up against one of the original 6 the refs pretty much will play favors for those teams. Then again I haven't had a chance to watch a lot of other teams play so the sample size I am using is quite small but its still an interesting note.

The Reffing has been brutal for every team, not just the nucks, whichs makes me wonder, who the frack is in charge of reffing operations?

For the football fans out there, what does the NFL do that is different from the NHL in terms of ensuring consistent calls (in regular season and playoffs) and accountability on the officials? I saw how much of a debacle the replacement ref saga was last year and was very impressed by how the NFL addressed it.

I used to feel bad for the refs for not having jobs during the lockout, now, i'm not even sure they deserve to be employed. (harsh, i know, but you can't help but feel frustrated as a fan of the sport)

The Canucks are reaping what they sowed.

problem is two-fold.

1) Reffing league wide is bad

2) Canucks are known to be divers (they actually do dive a lot) so the memo is out against them. When have you ever seen dives being called in back to back games?

I think it's a vicious cycle. The guys aren't getting the calls so they are embellishing but that in turn results in a diving penalty or even more non calls.

What they need to do is realize it is what it is. All is not lost. They need to pull their socks up and start battling without looking for calls. Continue to play hard and I guarantee the league will take notice and we'll start getting calls in our favour again.

I actually remember a few times noticing the Canucks were getting the favourable calls so far this year.

It's a natural human reaction though, more clearly remembering when negative things happen. Not saying the reffing has been good by any means; there have been a few really bad calls lately that have cost us, but in the end, it all evens out.

Archived