The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Refs

The Magician

The GM's have to start talking about it. TSN and others are talking about it every night... not because they choose to, but because it actually is the worst reffing ever.

But it's not really... because they are just following orders.

It's the worst NHL ever.

Thanks Bettman.

The refs have been horrible. I don't remember what game it was but i think it was the one before the Detroit game where Burrows got 2 INSANELY BAD calls against him it was like Auger mentored the ref that was on the ice.

That being said the team has to be a lot better but still F the refs.

I won't complain about the reffing as related only to the Canucks. The reffing is terrible league wide and should rightly tick off Canuck fans, let alone fans of hockey in general. Game management that strongly favors certain teams and greatly disadvantages others. The Canucks are not the only team to be hurt, but we are one of the teams negatively affected!

It makes me want to boo the refs if I were at the game for minutes on end. I want them to go home knowing they did a TERRIBLE JOB and maybe comprehend ending their reffing careers if they are going to call games like the amateurs they are calling like.

The refs have been horrible. I don't remember what game it was but i think it was the one before the Detroit game where Burrows got 2 INSANELY BAD calls against him it was like Auger mentored the ref that was on the ice.

Wish it was just lately but I really feel it has gone back many years, maybe even back to 1980, maybe Nielsen humiliating the refs is still in their minds especially when we erect a statue out front commemorating it.

Its amazing that if anyone else in any other job was so feeble at their profession at minimum they would be fired or perhaps even actually put in jail.

I realize its not the Canucks only problem, I know, but come on it is boarder lining on the absurd, how can a team sustain offensive pressure constantly killing bad call penalties while the exact same thing is let go when the roles are reversed?

I really dislike whining about reffing but I watch the games, I try to be objective, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, that it is a fast game, and human error comes in to play, but why is it always an uphill battle with the Refs? When was the last time we could honestly say the reffing was ridiculously in favour of the Canucks?

I really think that for the sake of the league, to be assured that prejudice doesn't come into play, there needs to be an overhaul of the reffing system.

I know it will never happen but I feel a joint US/Canadian government regulated reffing system needs to be adopted where there is accountability for the mistakes made. Again I know it is just fantasy, but maybe its a potential solution should things get bad enough across the board and is actually talked about in mainstream media (should something crazy like a betting scandal emerge or something like that)

Wish it was just lately but I really feel it has gone back many years, maybe even back to 1980, maybe Nielsen humiliating the refs is still in their minds especially when we erect a statue out front commemorating it.

Its amazing that if anyone else in any other job was so feeble at their profession at minimum they would be fired or perhaps even actually put in jail.

I realize its not the Canucks only problem, I know, but come on it is boarder lining on the absurd, how can a team sustain offensive pressure constantly killing bad call penalties while the exact same thing is let go when the roles are reversed?

I really dislike whining about reffing but I watch the games, I try to be objective, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, that it is a fast game, and human error comes in to play, but why is it always an uphill battle with the Refs? When was the last time we could honestly say the reffing was ridiculously in favour of the Canucks?

I really think that for the sake of the league, to be assured that prejudice doesn't come into play, there needs to be an overhaul of the reffing system.

I know it will never happen but I feel a joint US/Canadian government regulated reffing system needs to be adopted where there is accountability for the mistakes made. Again I know it is just fantasy, but maybe its a potential solution should things get bad enough across the board and is actually talked about in mainstream media (should something crazy like a betting scandal emerge or something like that)

I still say the league should go back to the old way of doing things and go back to one referee.

As for the Canucks, the officiating has seemed slanted against us lately and that's being generous. This isn't really a new thing but it usually doesn't present itself until the playoffs. Even if our team wasn't playing below standard I wouldn't be too confident in seeing a Vancouver championship very soon. Call me a conspiracy theorist or whatever but I'm not entirely convinced that all of the officials are simply idiots, I'm beginning to wonder if they've been instructed to "manage" games the way they have. If that is the case I dont believe Gary is all that interested in presenting the cup to the Canucks. It would be in the league's ( and Bettman's) best interest to have a champion in an american market, preferably one with poor attendance.

It's just a thought though and we'll probably never know for sure what's said behind closed doors.

Maybe once we stop sucking out there we won't notice the refs.

Unlike many of you I'm retired and have time to watch quite a few other teams on Game Center and the decisions are just as bad. You just have to get on with it and play with more determination.

We are poor just now. Our dumping and chip and chase style is just awful and it has been for a while now .........even when we were winning. We need to get back to basics of puck possession, accurate passing and shots, shots, shots on the net.

Last night with a man advantage and in possession of the puck Hamhuis, with no one near him, chose the most idiotic slap up the boards...........result Coyote goal. Bieksa would have carried that puck till he saw an opening.

We are playing like a team that has forgotten how to do the basics.

You would think that with 2 refs and 2 linesman on the ice at all times, the number of blown calls will be minimized with 4 sets of eyes watching the play. As long as getting the correct call is less important than the refs feeling that they are the ones responsible for "managing the flow of the game", we will continue to see the inconsistencies in games around the league. Good thing I've turned in my seasons tixs this year and no longer supporting this sub standard product.

The amount of no calls in the third period alone was astounding. I didnt think the hit to Burrows in the head was that bad but considering what happened to Hansen....... I just dont know why we are always getting screwed over. Its soooo obvious that other teams get away with murder and our team gets called on B.S. How the hell can it be diving when you are being tripped? Would the calls change the outcome? Maybe. I saw at least 8 obvious infractions in the 3rd alone. Its possible to think the nux would have scored on at least one of them. I just want to see things called fairly and consistantly for both teams. And that game day film should be sent to the leagues office. I would like to hear an explanation why the hit to Burrows head doesnt deserve a penalty and suspension. Its gettin a little WWF or out there.

"It is what it is"

I noticed that Burr hammered someone into the boards near the end of the game last night. He tends to score when he gets angry and I was hoping for that. Take it out on the opponents when the refs play favourites. I don't see things changing any time soon, unfortunately, so back to frustrated hockey. I wonder if the refs have some secret club where they trade eyeglasses for kicks pregame.

Archived