The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arranged/Love Marriage

DhillonCanuck

Society has high enough divorce rates when people freely pick their own spouses - In some sense I guess that suggests that arranged marriages couldn't be any worse but still - If folks won't be happy with someone they freely picked what would suggest they would be any happier with someone picked for them?

after nearly 25 years of happy marriage 2 things my wife and I promised each other have really helped to keep things in percpective.

First - A promise to never cheat - If either of us should ever want to be with someone else pick up the phone - call the other person and tell them it's over then go have your fun .... Should my marriage ever failed my personel experiance shows that friends who have divorced and either party cheated have never been able to function as a family unit - ever. Friends whos marriages ended prior to either of them entering new relationships have had a better change at atleast being friendly. If you have kids you owe it to your kids to ensure that should you marriage be over that you end it in such a manner that it does not prevent the parents being able to be civil and loving when together for family functions. Kids for the most part can understand when parents fall out of love - in fact they probably saw it before you 2 do - kids also understand cheating is wrong.

Second - Any time you fight either one of you should keep in mind - "is this issue worth divorcing over ?". In other words pick your hill to die on. Many times over the years during an arguement either my wife or I have raised that point during the arguement - When fighting over who did what ( normally something pretty stupid - not cheating or anything one would end a marriage over ) - when you think about it ... is that particular issue worth dying on your hill when you take your stand? Every single time that point is raised it deflates the arguement pretty quickly. The art of being able to see others opinions and to being willing to bend without breaking seem to be lost arts in relations. In this time of instant gratification things become far to disposable and that includes relationships and marraiges.

Being ex military before we could get married it was compulsary to take pre marriage counceling as a couple. Sounds silly but it is still in most units a unit policy ( if not from QR&O's ) to request permission to get married. It also in many units considered proper protocal to invite either the RSM or CO depending on rank. Don't think anyone is ever denied but it provides a chance for counciling first. The counciling focused on effective communication in conflict and boundry setting. The boundry setting was specific discussion for couples on what the issues where that you felt where or could be "divorce issues" and how to aviod them or deal with them. Everyone picks the same 2 as tops ( cheating and abuse ) but the other on the top 5 lists may raise an eyebrow or 2.

We require people to pass driving tests - fire arm tests. Marraige and or raising Kids is equally as important and worthy in my opinion in some pre marraige education before issueing that marriage license. In the older generation that was provided by manditory church counciling, but as we seperate Church and State it has fallen by the side over the last 40 years.

You do realize that if you live with someone for 6 months... then they are common-law...... which basically allows them to the same rights as a marriage....

So.............your view is one that is going to live alone for the remainder of your life.

I know what common law marriage, and obviously I'm against that if I don't like the idea of getting married. As for your snide remarks on living alone, I have no idea what the future holds. Also, you do realize not everyone ever has to spend the rest of their lives in BC, right?

So you are against the possibility of losing 50% of you assets to someone who you may separate from then.

Common-law status is common throughout first-world countries.... so although BC has more stringent guidelines to these laws, it is still only avoidable by not living with anyone...ever....

I once told a friend (brown) that I thought her friend (also brown) was cute. I was just being polite and complimentary and didn't have any real intentions.

The response.... Don't go there. It seems they are keeping them all for themselves. Tradition dies hard.

Her dad said he'd be happy to take me to India to set me up with a wife if I wanted tho.

I once told a friend (brown) that I thought her friend (also brown) was cute. I was just being polite and complimentary and didn't have any real intentions.

The response.... Don't go there. It seems they are keeping them all for themselves. Tradition dies hard.

Her dad said he'd be happy to take me to India to set me up with a wife if I wanted tho.

OP, is this for a family studies course? :P

I'd heard of the notion that the people with whom you live often have a better idea of who is and isn't a match for you, so going by the presumption that the son/ daughter still lives at home their parents should have the best understanding of who's a fit, and with whom you really share the most commonalities. With that in mind, (unless your parents are trolls) I'd say if they suggest it (NOT force it) they probably know the reasoning for their suggestion and so, given that you are interested in them also, I'd say give it a go.

So you are against the possibility of losing 50% of you assets to someone who you may separate from then.

Common-law status is common throughout first-world countries.... so although BC has more stringent guidelines to these laws, it is still only avoidable by not living with anyone...ever....

There is no fallacy in my point of view. The only fallacy is how you associate whats considered law with what is good.Whats hilarious is how condescending you are when you're trying to point out how I'm supposedly wrong.

"I think marriage is dumb"

"Yeah well if you live with someone for awhile in BC you're considered married."

"So?"

"So therefore marriage is good and you're wrong."

Archived