The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time for the Edmonton Oilers to name a new captain? And Who?

Honestly, I think it's the perfect time, right now mid-season, especially with Horcoff injured long-term (and their going to buy him out eventually), I think it's better to do it now and have a chance at saving the season (I think the main reason for their underperforming is that their isin't a sense of internal leadership in the dressing room without a "C" on either Taylor Hall or Jordan Eberle. It would be much better to do it now if they want to try to make the playoffs then have no leadership and make the captaincy decision in the summer but yet again end up in the bottom dwellers "top five draft pick" position again.

Who would be better suited: Taylor Hall or Jordan Eberle? I say Hall.

It will most likely be Hall. Eberle would be a good choice but the Oilers appear to go as Hall goes. He's extremely competitive and he's always the guy leading by example. It seems like anytime the coach says "we have to do more of this". Hall is the guy that is out there doing the next game.

...and I'm not saying Eberle is a product of Hall but Hall is definitely the guy driving the offense on that line. Especially this season. He's also the one that always faces the media after a tough loss and answers all their questions.

Eberle is a great player but most Oilers fans will tell you Hall is the obvious choice.

As for Smyth. He's not even in the conversation. This isn't Smyth's team anymore. You think he leads Hall and Eberle onto the ice every night? Not a chance. I have a lot of patience for Smyth because he's been a good Oiler for so long...but I've needed a lot of patience. He's a 4th line/PKer on most playoff teams.

...and for the record. Ignore the contract and there isn't much to dislike about Horcoff. He's a fan captain for now and you definitely don't strip him of the C for Smyth. The Oilers REALLY miss Horcoff right now.

It will most likely be Hall. Eberle would be a good choice but the Oilers appear to go as Hall goes. He's extremely competitive and he's always the guy leading by example. It seems like anytime the coach says "we have to do more of this". Hall is the guy that is out there doing the next game.

...and I'm not saying Eberle is a product of Hall but Hall is definitely the guy driving the offense on that line. Especially this season. He's also the one that always faces the media after a tough loss and answers all their questions.

Eberle is a great player but most Oilers fans will tell you Hall is the obvious choice.

As for Smyth. He's not even in the conversation. This isn't Smyth's team anymore. You think he leads Hall and Eberle onto the ice every night? Not a chance. I have a lot of patience for Smyth because he's been a good Oiler for so long...but I've needed a lot of patience. He's a 4th line/PKer on most playoff teams.

...and for the record. Ignore the contract and there isn't much to dislike about Horcoff. He's a fan captain for now and you definitely don't strip him of the C for Smyth. The Oilers REALLY miss Horcoff right now.

Archived