Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elvis15

[Waivers] Volpatti put on waivers by Canucks, McGrattan clears

167 posts in this topic

Pinizotto is exactly what this team has needed for a long time. For those of you who weren't following, he was a lock for our 4th line center spot at the beginning of last season. The guy played unreal in the pre-season, was up there in terms of scoring for us and looked amazing. Great passer, nice shot and obviously he can hit and fight.

In terms of the depth chart I see our 4th line players something like this:

Pinizotto

Lapierre

Weise

Volpatti

Ebbett

Yes I'm putting Pinizotto ahead of Lapierre, he's far more skilled offensively. Wait till you see this guy in action again. Hopefully though he gets some conditioning games in the AHL, but I fear there isn't enough time for that in a shortened season and with Kesler and Malhotra out it makes sense to throw him right in the deep end.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Schroeder - Booth

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Weise - Pinizotto - Kassian

Give him a few games to find his feet and timing before moving Pinizotto up to the 3rd line and popping Lapierre back down.

Perhaps they will be picking up seine off waivers if volpatti goes? Canucks have first pick if that's the case no?

This should help us realize that gooey soft consistency of a jelly donut that Gillis has been striving for!

Pinizotto!!! We need an injection of something, hopefully he's it.

Perhaps they will be picking up seine off waivers if volpatti goes? Canucks have first pick if that's the case no?

I am still in the mindset that there is actually a trade in the works.

Too many good players being benched around the league. Timing on the Kesler news is a little odd, I don't think the coaching staff JUST did a CT scan. I think they let Kesler play until they had some framework for a deal in place and have no pulled the plug on his season (Kesler would have continued playing unless told otherwise).

I just cannot see GMMG risk losing Volpatti for a player that did not show the ability to fill in a top 9 role or a player who has been plagued with injuries for the last few years and has never seen an NHL game.

Maybe I am looking to much into it, but I smell something a brewin'

I feel the same way knoxdown, with the general state of the league (this is basically the point where a lot of teams have to make a decision if they're going to make a push this season) and this being our last real break before we go into the meat-grinder portion of our own schedule, these few days would have been circled on the calendar as the time to make a deal. Combined with everything that's transpired in the past day, we either see MG make a move or we wait til the deadline. Personally I hope for the former.

I am still in the mindset that there is actually a trade in the works.

Too many good players being benched around the league. Timing on the Kesler news is a little odd, I don't think the coaching staff JUST did a CT scan. I think they let Kesler play until they had some framework for a deal in place and have no pulled the plug on his season (Kesler would have continued playing unless told otherwise).

I just cannot see GMMG risk losing Volpatti for a player that did not show the ability to fill in a top 9 role or a player who has been plagued with injuries for the last few years and has never seen an NHL game.

Maybe I am looking to much into it, but I smell something a brewin'

I feel the same way knoxdown, with the general state of the league (this is basically the point where a lot of teams have to make a decision if they're going to make a push this season) and this being our last real break before we go into the meat-grinder portion of our own schedule, these few days would have been circled on the calendar as the time to make a deal. Combined with everything that's transpired in the past day, we either see MG make a move or we wait til the deadline. Personally I hope for the former.

If I remember correctly, this year's deadline is right after the end of the regular season. I don't think any of the playoff bound team (unless they got hit with a serious injury bug at the last week) are going to mess with the chemistry of their team and throw in a new player right into Game #1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. I think most contenders will make their trades at least a few games prior to the playoff such that the coaching staff has time to evaluate and organize the lineups. I think if the Canucks are making some moves.. it will be around now till the end of March, so you might be on to something.

Let's hope something huge is in the works, something massive and legendary that we will be talking about for the next decade, after winning four consecutive cups.

Twelve noon when we find out if he has cleared? Or twelve eastern/nine pacific?

Good points, good sir. It doesn't make much sense to waive Volpatti and the toughness he brings, while inevitably having to send Pinizzotto back down for a conditioning stint after being activated off of IR. Essentially for our lineup it means we waived Volpatti to bring up Ebbett... fishyness. So we waived a 4th liner who brings toughness for a guy who couldn't make this team, that brings virtually nothing.

It could also be the case that Volpatti being sent down is just a temporary glitch, as we needed to bring the roster down to 22 so we could activate Pinizzotto. This of course being before the Kesler news, of which we still have to retroactively place him on IR.

Oh, and as of right now, with the injuries (Booth, Kesler, Malhotra) and the ~2m we had in cap space prior to the season, we have about 5.168m in cap space available at the deadline. So we can actually afford a big player at the deadline, in terms of cap space anyway.

Let's hope something huge is in the works, something massive and legendary that we will be talking about for the next decade, after winning four consecutive cups.