166 replies to this topic

#61 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,815 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

i dont get it. so pinni has to report to the canucks? why cant he just report to chicago after injury then call him up if he's playing good after a little conditioning down there. It wouldnt make much sense to waive volpatti now, we could have an injury from now untill pinnizotto is up to speed in the minors

is that mackenzie speculating or the actual plan we have to follow?

I can't remember if Pinizzotto was among the players we put on waivers prior to the lockout to allow him to play on the Wolves or not. Obviously he had played for them, but if he was brought up to allow him to rehab with thee Canucks, then perhaps that's why he'd have to hit our roster first before going down to the Wolves?

It'd be much more clear if Pinizzotto had been injured since the summer, since he'd definitely be on the injured non-roster list in that case. Then he'd have to clear and go down to the Wolves once ready and we'd have to have a roster spot for him to come off IR before he could be sent down. Not so sure since he was injured during the current Wolves season, but then also before the NHL season due to the lockout...

More from twitter:

News1130Sports
Volpatti's agent Peter Cooney says his client is "dissapointed" because he wants to be in the NHL and in Vancouver.
Cooney was told by Canucks they like his client but that they want to free up a roster spot and get Volpatti more ice.
Cooney is confident Volpatti will be back in the NHL soon - in Vancouver or elsewhere.

sportsnetmurph
#canucks need roster spot, Weise kills penalties+Volpatti doesn't. VAN didn't want to expose a d-man on waivers. Reasons for decision.

Also, Jonathan Willis put up an article on this in the Edmonton Journal:

A team looking for fourth-line depth and toughness could do worse than Volpatti, but it would not be a surprise if the 27-year old cleared waivers either.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#62 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,104 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Weird.. I'm hoping he isn't claimed. I'd like to see him get another shot in Vancouver.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#63 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

change is good on the 4th line. Can't do any worse than volpatti-weise

You know nothing. We've had worse players than both on our 4th line for the past 5 years.

#64 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

only player on the team that hits... better get rid of him.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#65 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,323 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Exactly. Last night showed clearly that we don't need another physical player. After all, we managed a whopping 9 team hits last night. Can't get much more physical than that.

#66 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

I can't remember if Pinizzotto was among the players we put on waivers prior to the lockout to allow him to play on the Wolves or not. Obviously he had played for them, but if he was brought up to allow him to rehab with thee Canucks, then perhaps that's why he'd have to hit our roster first before going down to the Wolves?

It'd be much more clear if Pinizzotto had been injured since the summer, since he'd definitely be on the injured non-roster list in that case. Then he'd have to clear and go down to the Wolves once ready and we'd have to have a roster spot for him to come off IR before he could be sent down. Not so sure since he was injured during the current Wolves season, but then also before the NHL season due to the lockout...

More from twitter:

Also, Jonathan Willis put up an article on this in the Edmonton Journal:

even if that is the case, i dont see risking volpatti as the best option. why not risk pinnizotto on the waivers, alot less likely to be claimed. Judging by SP's injury history and zero nhl experience it seems like he would be worth the risk more than a guy who has played his role great for us... to me this cant be about pinnizotto, it just doesnt make sense. He's the same kind of player, possible higher upside maybe but its not any kind of immediate help.

I dunno i think something has to be brewing tradewise

I feel bad for Patti, BC kid playing for his home team. Played so good as a 4th liner that any team needing toughness would be stupid not to claim him. only reason he isnt playing is weise has vastly improved. Also feel for his parents, they might have to buy oilers jerseys lol

#67 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

No Bieksa, no Volpatti, no Kesler...

Lol. Might as well hold up a sign saying 'Please run over our players!'
Posted Image

#68 Robongo

Robongo

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Horrible decision, like wtf is this management watching? He was exactly what this team needed; Wiese is garbage. He kills penalties? what about Kesler, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Lappierre?

Luongo-Userbar.gif
14vmxhf.jpg
In Benning We Trust!

#69 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,116 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

If Pinizzotto is healthy, he can actually play hockey.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#70 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,323 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Not enough room on the jersey for that. How about just painting big targets on the backs of the Sedins?!! :bigblush:

#71 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Or "We'll make em pay on the power play!". And of course, we won't.

#72 garthsbutcher

garthsbutcher

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

change is good on the 4th line. Can't do any worse than volpatti-weise

I would also look at moving Lappy if anyone will take him. Complete non factor and the worst fighter in the league.

#73 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,323 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

V

Volpatti fought Sutton Tootoo, Staubitz, Carcillo, Winchester last year. He’s a willing responder gritty players respect.

V

Van trailing Sj 4-1 in game, D Murray runs Volpatti. He gets up drops gloves goes right at him. Loses fight, doesn’t matter, Guy is a Gamer

Quotes from TSN.

Obviously we don't want a guy like this on the team.

#74 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,815 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Exactly. Last night showed clearly that we don't need another physical player. After all, we managed a whopping 9 team hits last night. Can't get much more physical than that.

You guys are good for a laugh at least. Only player that hits, despite being second in hits behind Lapierre. Apart from Edler missing a hit on the 3rd goal (I wonder if he held off thinking it would be late and get an interference penalty?) I don't think us not hitting was the issue last night. It would have helped, sure, but hitting doesn't always cause us to play better, sometimes playing better allows us to hit more.

even if that is the case, i dont see risking volpatti as the best option. why not risk pinnizotto on the waivers, alot less likely to be claimed. Judging by SP's injury history and zero nhl experience it seems like he would be worth the risk more than a guy who has played his role great for us... to me this cant be about pinnizotto, it just doesnt make sense. He's the same kind of player, possible higher upside maybe but its not any kind of immediate help.

I dunno i think something has to be brewing tradewise

I feel bad for Patti, BC kid playing for his home team. Played so good as a 4th liner that any team needing toughness would be stupid not to claim him. only reason he isnt playing is weise has vastly improved. Also feel for his parents, they might have to buy oilers jerseys lol

Well, Pinizzotto has to be on the active roster before we can put him on waivers. If there's no room to do so, then he can't even get to that point but he has to come off of IR once he's healthy so I don't think they had a lot of choice.

I would have thought to drop a defenceman instead, but they must have some information that Volpatti is least likely to be claimed over Barker or Alberts, and we still need one of them while Bieksa's injured.

A point I brought up in the "Kesler in an aircast" thread was if he's injured then we could maybe put him on IR to free up that roster space, or better yet Bieksa if he's due to be out longer (we can do it retroactive to before the last game). Then we wouldn't have had to waive Volpatti to get Pinizzotto off the IR and down to the Wolves (or in the roster).

Maybe that wasn't possible or they knew both Kesler and Bieksa wouldn't be injured long enough for IR. I'm sure they have it figured out.

Edited by elvis15, 27 February 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#75 garthsbutcher

garthsbutcher

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

V

V

Quotes from TSN.

Obviously we don't want a guy like this on the team.

well said!!

#76 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Volpatti clearing wavers would be great. Lots of ice time in CHI will no doubt do him good, because he needs to improve his overall hockey game to be an effective 4th liner. If time spent in CHI helps with this, then it will do the Canucks good come playoff time.

0au3Jj.gifhuntersmalll.jpg

#77 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Luongo for Parros
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#78 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Luongo for Parros

making up stuff eh?
Posted Image

#79 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

I think the Canucks will be signing Arnott. Arnott cleared medically, Kesler in a cast, Volpatti sent down.
Sig too big.

#80 kassian 09

kassian 09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Can we trade Av

#81 rightasrain

rightasrain

Comets Prospect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Really liked Volpatti!! Vancouver can't lose these types. Even Vancouver's commentators are weak. Last night they were discussing wether or not it was a good move by Kassian to drop the gloves on wimp eskimo man, give me a break, everyone else in the whole universe would say good move, but not anyone associated with Vancouver. Just take a look at Ottawa and you will see a team that makes the right moves. I am a huge Canucks fan, but they are weak.

#82 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,815 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Luongo for Parros

Clearly we'd have to add Volpatti so Florida doesn't get hosed in the deal, but since we're sending him down on waivers that can't be the trade. Duh.

#83 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

I think in the big picture they're wanting to see what they have before Nicklas Jensen arrives in N America. If they do not take a look at Pinizzotto now they may not have the chance later.

#84 Normal1

Normal1

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

YUP ! MOVE THE ONLY GRIT PLAYER YOU HAD ! GO OILERS - CAN'T WAIT TO
SEE FREIGHT-TRAIN VOLPATTI TAKING A RUN AT WEISE .

BACK TO THE "JERSEY-STORE" FOR A DIFFERENT VOLPATTI JERSEY FOR THE COLLECTION.

#85 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Volpatti's a better fighter and hitter than Weise.

#86 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Posted Image

#87 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Sure. The Oilers can claim him, and then waive who? Ben Eager?

Hordichuk
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#88 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Volpatti is great in his role as a 4th line wing. He bangs, and I can't recall him ever turtling from a fight. I guess we're giving career AHLer Pinizzotto a chance, although the conditioning stint in Chicago doesn't make much sense as the Wolves don't play till Friday, giving us 11 forwards right now with Kesler's injury.

So now is the time to make a trade! Seriously! We just lost our 2nd line centre for up to 6 weeks, and we demoted any grit that we have left in the lienup.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#89 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Another bad move by Gillis.

#90 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,815 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hordichuk

They already did that.

Edmonton Oilers less imposing as team looks to send Darcy Hordichuk to minors
POSTED: MONDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2013

The Edmonton Oilers, a team that once employed the likes of Dave Semenko, Marty McSorley, Dave Brown and Georges Laraque, believes the NHL has changed enough that a young, small team of skilled players doesn’t need protection anymore.

So Darcy Hordichuk is on waivers.
His departure leaves the Oilers essentially defenceless, with just multiply concussed winger Ben Eager, who they shouldn’t want fighting, to do all their dirty work. Mark Fistric’s had three fights in the last two years.

“I haven’t seen a lot of fights this year compared with my first season,” said Krueger. “My second year it dwindled and it’s even less right now.

“The battles for the points are so intense … the intimidation is speed and puck pressure, that’s the intimidation that’s going to decide success or failure in the Western Conference this year.”

Volpatti is great in his role as a 4th line wing. He bangs, and I can't recall him ever turtling from a fight. I guess we're giving career AHLer Pinizzotto a chance, although the conditioning stint in Chicago doesn't make much sense as the Wolves don't play till Friday, giving us 11 forwards right now with Kesler's injury.

So now is the time to make a trade! Seriously! We just lost our 2nd line centre for up to 6 weeks, and we demoted any grit that we have left in the lienup.

And we don't play until Saturday, so it's hardly that they didn't think it through.

Gillis won't panic with this, although I'm sure he'll be making some inquiries.

Edited by elvis15, 27 February 2013 - 02:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.