The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Volpatti put on waivers by Canucks, McGrattan clears

elvis15

Really liked Volpatti!! Vancouver can't lose these types. Even Vancouver's commentators are weak. Last night they were discussing wether or not it was a good move by Kassian to drop the gloves on wimp eskimo man, give me a break, everyone else in the whole universe would say good move, but not anyone associated with Vancouver. Just take a look at Ottawa and you will see a team that makes the right moves. I am a huge Canucks fan, but they are weak.

Volpatti is great in his role as a 4th line wing. He bangs, and I can't recall him ever turtling from a fight. I guess we're giving career AHLer Pinizzotto a chance, although the conditioning stint in Chicago doesn't make much sense as the Wolves don't play till Friday, giving us 11 forwards right now with Kesler's injury.

So now is the time to make a trade! Seriously! We just lost our 2nd line centre for up to 6 weeks, and we demoted any grit that we have left in the lienup.

From the Wolves perspective:

theshaves

If Volpatti clears waivers he could be assigned to the Wolves...the Canucks need an active roster spot to take Pinizzotto off of NHL IR.

Once Pinizzotto is off IR he could join the Canucks, be assigned 2 Wolves for 2week conditioning stint or placed on waivers & assigned 2Chi

The Canucks won't need to put Pinnizotto on waivers to do a conditioning stint... and I believe he doesn't count towards the 23 man roster when he on the stint.

Also - If Bieksa is a no go for Saturday, then safe to assume he won't go Sunday... so they could put him on IR (retroactive to Feb 24) and then free up another roster spot. (then re-activate him for March 5 or 7)

From the Wolves perspective:

Also, important to note if the Canucks do something else (Kesler will be likely to go on IR if not even LTI if we go after a replacement) to free up a roster spot then they don't have to assign Volpatti to the Wolves necessarily. Bringing up Ebbett suggests they will anyway, but Pinizzotto could either come up after a conditioning stint, or the Canucks could just put him on waivers to assign him to the Wolves right away and bring Volpatti back up.

Here's an example timeline:

1. Volpatti on waivers

2. Kesler on IR

3. Pinizzotto on waivers and assigned to the Wolves

4. Ebbett called up, Volpatti kept with team

That can all happen before Friday if they put Pinizzotto on waivers at latest by tomorrow and only call up Ebbett after Pinizzotto is assigned to the Wolves. Volpatti wouldn't even necessarily have to be assigned, just clear waivers, then if we do need to assign him in the next 30 days he won't have to go through waivers again.

I think it's just the opposite, that Pinizzotto gets activated off of NHL IR, gets the conditioning stint in the AHL so no waivers. It was reported that 16 teams were interested in him when he was a UFA, so I doubt Gillis risks him on waivers, which might better explain this entire circus.

By calling up Ebbett again we risk him on re-entry Waivers, so if he gets claimed our next option is Gordon... scary stuff. Even if Ebbett doesn't get claimed, thats a horrendous option for 2C/3C. The time is now to make a deal, especially while we have the time off to get some practices in.

Why not just send JS to the minors to take Pinozotto off the NHL IR, then send him down to Chicago and call back up JS?

Is MG really waiving Volpatti whose done everything he's been asked to do for a guy coming off an injury and has never played an NHL game?! dafuq kinda logic is that.

Why not just send JS to the minors to take Pinozotto off the NHL IR, then send him down to Chicago and call back up JS?

Is MG really waiving Volpatti whose done everything he's been asked to do for a guy coming off an injury and has never played an NHL game?! dafuq kinda logic is that.

Archived