Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Waivers] Volpatti put on waivers by Canucks, McGrattan clears

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
166 replies to this topic

#151 blooditsinyoutobleed

blooditsinyoutobleed

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

maybe Volpatti is included to a trade coming and the team that wants him cant clear roster for him at the moment, so if they were to acquire him from waiver, Volpatti goes straight to the minors.

i bet canucks make a trade with either columbus, buffalo, washington, or florida.

Now watch Vancouver make a trade with washington.
I bet original trade was Volpatti + Luongo for X but since washington wanted volpatti on their farm team , Van had to put him on waivers for them so when they pick him up he goes straight to the minors. It'll buy washington some time to make room for him

#152 Sestito29

Sestito29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Now watch Vancouver make a trade with washington.
I bet original trade was Volpatti + Luongo for X but since washington wanted volpatti on their farm team , Van had to put him on waivers for them so when they pick him up he goes straight to the minors. It'll buy washington some time to make room for him

Except that's not how it works. They claimed him to play with the big club, if they want him in the minors, they would have to waive him again.

#153 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Nice pick up for the Caps. And this should help Gillis soften the team up for a brisk spring ass whupping!

#154 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Except that's not how it works. They claimed him to play with the big club, if they want him in the minors, they would have to waive him again.

In addition, if they waive him, Vancouver would have first dibs to claim him.

#155 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,643 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

This is stupid.

One of our only tough guys, and a tough guy who can play. Those guys have value. Damn this was a stupid move.

zackass.png

#156 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,935 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

This is stupid.

One of our only tough guys, and a tough guy who can play. Those guys have value. Damn this was a stupid move.

He's been blinded by the the Detroit model and making the Canucks as soft and classy as them. Volpatti plays too rough and tough for this team.

#157 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Volpatti did not know how to play hockey..

Don't be silly.

Posted Image

#158 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,076 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Don't be silly.

:lol: Good one. Its pretty obvious you don't have a clue who Volpatti is. He was one of our best physical 4th liners who can chip in a goal here and there.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#159 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

:lol: Good one. Its pretty obvious you don't have a clue who Volpatti is. He was one of our best physical 4th liners who can chip in a goal here and there.

Tell me more how good he was defensively. Chip in a goal here and there? 3 goals in 54 games buddy. And i was at the game where he scored one of them against Nashville, that was when Schneider got lit up and Rinne was playing absolutely garbage. Volpatti scored a weak wrister from the slot. So yes, a goal is a goal, but in no way can you use that as an argument.

Lapierre - Weise are both better hockey players than Volpatti. Both of them can actually play on both ends of the ice and have proven it already. We have the following LWs

Higgins
Booth
Sedin
Raymond

All 4 of those players are better than Volpatti.

Edited by Django, 28 February 2013 - 05:12 PM.

Posted Image

#160 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,643 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

Don't be silly.

This is pretty rich.

Volpatti can play hockey, skates well, hits, brings grit. He can play the game. He isn't a 250 pound goon who can barley skate and all he can do is fight (and throw the occasional hit if the player doesnt move fast enough) Although he brings those qualities, aswell as that of a 4th line grinder who can wear down opponents, bang and smash, and chip in.

In otherwords, the perfect 4th liner for playoff hockey, and we just gave that away for nothing.

zackass.png

#161 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie
Aaron Volpatti on waivers for 2 reasons. 1. Get him icetime. 2. Open roster spot for Steve Pinizzotto, coming off injured non-roster status.

What does Bob know???Bob always tells us what we know but when it comes to trades, call ups and so on i would not believe a word he says, I do not know how he has a job!!!!
Posted Image

#162 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,152 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

This is pretty rich.

Volpatti can play hockey, skates well, hits, brings grit. He can play the game. He isn't a 250 pound goon who can barley skate and all he can do is fight (and throw the occasional hit if the player doesnt move fast enough) Although he brings those qualities, aswell as that of a 4th line grinder who can wear down opponents, bang and smash, and chip in.

In otherwords, the perfect 4th liner for playoff hockey, and we just gave that away for nothing.

Volpatti had heart, I'll give him that, but he's severely overrated.

That being said, I'm not pleased with this seemingly bone-headed move by Gillis - reminds me a lot like the Grabner waive. Terrible move.

Why would Gillis make this move?

Was he really going to sneak him through the AHL? And if not, why didn't he just try and trade Volpatti for some legit fighter or a low pick?

Dumb move that can't be justified by waiving him regardless of what your opinion is about Volpatti.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#163 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

To clarify "playing hockey" i meant actually being able to play an effective 2-way game and stop/cause scoring chances.

Posted Image

#164 Sestito29

Sestito29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

What does Bob know???Bob always tells us what we know but when it comes to trades, call ups and so on i would not believe a word he says, I do not know how he has a job!!!!

Yeah! He's only.....the best hockey analyst on TV....

:sadno:

#165 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,709 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

physical, yes, but the latter no....

Anyways, this is a bigger loss than most think... Lappy does not play the same as last year, and Weise tries too hard to skate the puck in instead of forecheck and use his body to win the puck battles to wear out the opposing dmen (which patti does consistently and effectively). Volpatti only has four hits less than Lappy with less games played.... There are many players like him in the league, but most of those guys are unavailable (Asham, Reaves, Tootoo, Glass, Brown etc.)

but im soo excited to see Ebbett come up in his place!!!!!!
/sarcasm
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#166 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,243 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

This could easily have been a move by Gillis for later on.

To be clearer: If he traded Volpatti, he would not have had special waiver rights if said team decided to send down Volpatti. Now, if WSH decides to put him thru waivers, Gillis can put him on Chicago until the playoffs and then have awesome depth. It's a gamble, but it might be worth the 7th pick Volpatti could have gotten.

#167 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,984 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

I like the part of this thread where CDC freaks out that we lose a big guy who can hit, then we call up Pinnizzotto and sign Sestito.

You were saying guys? :bigblush:

Keswho.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.