The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows, do the refs really 'love' him or what?

coyotecanuck

I've been lying in the weeds not posting much these days and trying not to take hockey too seriously.

But of late I must admit that my blood is starting to boil when it comes to the 'treatment' Alex Burrows is getting from the zebras.

The amount of abuse he takes on a nightly basis, with rarely any calls looking out for his safety, has become downright disturbing and I think it is bordering on career threatening. Besides the interference last night, and the punch to the face, there were literally six or seven position battles in front of the net where he was obliterated and or tackled from behind. When it comes to Alex Burrows it seems the words interference, crosschecking, head shot are not relevant, unless, of course, the call is on him.

I honestly don't know how he takes it night after night. He's like the Energizer Bunny that your kid keeps throwing into the wall but keeps getting back up to beat the drum; like a Timex watch that takes a licking and keeps on ticking, but the batteries and the heart will run out if he keeps getting used and abused by the refs. Honestly, I think even opposing players sometimes seem shocked at how much they can get away with when it comes to pulverizing Alex Burrows.

One would think that the refs would come to respect the fact that Burrows is a human Pinatta on a nightly basis and rarely shows them up. In fact, when he is sent off due to phantom calls he almost always goes straight to the box. No matter what he does, or how he plays it, it just seems that he gets zero respect from the refs, and ZERO protection.

So the blow back/ fallout from 'Augergate' continues. We all knew the ref fraternity is punitive. Ron Mclean leads the charge in proving that one. And we all expected there would be repercussions. But how long can they carry this on for? Will it be for his entire career -- which will be shortened significantly if that's the case -- or will the refs take their pound of flesh and start giving Burr a fair shake?

I am not personally optimistic that anything will change. The refs, under direction from the league, have made the game about the number on the back of the jersey and the colour of the jersey. Reputation is everything in the NHL. And it takes a PR makeover (see the media blitz the Pens orchestrated for Matt Cooke) to change opinions. In fact, fan and team driven propaganda has become a huge part of the NHL, but that's a discussion for another day.

I wish I was savvy with video because it would make quite a compelling case if someone were to document the abuse Alex Burrows, a star and a talented player in the NHL, takes on a nightly basis.

To paraphrase Richard Nixon, I fear the refs won't have Alex Burrows to kick around much longer if this keeps up.

Though the refs should be unbiased, and as a Canucks fan it is infuriating to see one of our boys get targeted, you can't not expect Burrows to get poor treatment from the refs. His playing style and history has brought it on himself.

It may not be fair, but honestly I think he thrives on it. We all know he plays with a chip on his shoulder.

Though the refs should be unbiased, and as a Canucks fan it is infuriating to see one of our boys get targeted, you can't not expect Burrows to get poor treatment from the refs. His playing style and history has brought it on himself.

It may not be fair, but honestly I think he thrives on it. We all know he plays with a chip on his shoulder.

It doesn't matter if he was telling the truth or not, the problem stems from the fact he called the ref out. There are channels in which to do this and the media is not one, so he will always receive the rough end of the stick as refs go.

Doesn't matter if its hockey or any other sport for that matter, the refs stick together.

It doesn't matter if he was telling the truth or not, the problem stems from the fact he called the ref out. There are channels in which to do this and the media is not one, so he will always receive the rough end of the stick as refs go.

Doesn't matter if its hockey or any other sport for that matter, the refs stick together.

from the nashville side of things, its in there game plan to get burrows out from in front of the net. if you look back to a lot of our goals from the point this year, burrows is blocking the goalies vision. he is on top of his game in front of the net.

the refs choosing not to call penalties, allows the opposition to accomplish their goal much easier.

Yes, hockey referees, even at the high school level, have prejudices against certain players and target them for calls or non-calls. It seems so simple to think, can't they just call the game based on how it's played? But it never works that way. If you were to interview one of these refs, totally off the record, they could tell you exactly what they think of every player in the league. The referees should not have the luxury of personal bias, they are supposed to be completely impartial and fair, but they're nowhere near that. The NHL might be the poorest offciated of the four major north american sports leagues, nobody knows the rules, not even the refs. I mean how does Daniel get called for diving? Would the same thing be called if Shane Doan was tripped by Ryan Kesler? If the answer is no, then these refs need to be disciplined and given demerits or a cut in pay to let them know that bogus, prejudiced officiating has no place in the league. Problem is, all the refs are buddies with one another and they're all doing a "wonderful job" and the players are nothing but spoiled, disrespectful punks. It's ruining the game, the NHL is going downhill very fast and unless things change in this league in the next 5-10 years, I am very concerned that the league as we know it might cease to exist in a decade. Somethings gotta change, this is unacceptable.

I agree 100%. Great post.

Last game really highlighted it, with not only that punch to the head going uncalled but a clear crosscheck/interference as well. But its been going on all year and frankly ever since Augergate. I too am astounded how he can get slashed, crosschecked, punched with apparent immunity in every game. Other teams are all catching on and know they can get away with it. I too fear for Alex's health. Alex has listened to Gillis and AV and toned down his jackass shenanigans. But it seems like it is clear that nothing is going to change no matter how much Alex reforms his behaviour. The referee brotherhood has decided that he will pay for the public shaming of one of their own.

Its infuriating when one of the most intelligent NHL players, who plays on one of the top lines, and scores a lot of points, is one of the most consistent performers...gets this kind of abuse from the refs. And maybe not all the refs, but enough of them are on board with the brotherhood's edict to threaten not only team wins, but the health of one of our top players.

I think it's fairly obvious that the Canucks have a reputation, bot amongst the referees and the hockey community in general.

For the last few years now, it seems like you can't watch a sports show, or read the sports section of a paper and not see/hear about the Canucks being "whiners" and "divers". Referees are human and not immune to public perception.

Case in point would be the diving call to Dan last night. The zebra had no way to know that it was a dive. He made that call based on reputation.

Well put.

The abuse Burr takes, especially in front of the net, harkens back to the Tim Kerr era. Kerr was a four time 50 goal scorer who staked his claim in the crease area knocking home rebounds. Though he was a tank, the cumulative effect of cross check after cross check wore him down and he retired after 13 seasons.

However, in recent years, the NHL has made new rules in front of the net based on body position. Those vicious clear outs were supposed to be curbed by these new rules. The idea was to promote more offence and to protect players from neck and shoulder injuries.

I think what is happening here is that teams are allowed to go 'old school' on Burrows in front of the net. If ever there is a scramble look close and you will see an opponent's defenseman right on top of Burrows. He's always the last guy to dust himself off from the bottom of the pile and never is there a penalty.

I honestly admire him for how he has put up with it.

Archived