Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Burrows, do the refs really 'love' him or what?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Typical Canuck fans. We're on a losing skid, so blame the refs. Exactly why the refs probably hate us. We're playing like dog $hit. WE need to be better. The refs are bad every where, not just in Vancouver games
Posted Image

#32 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Typical Canuck fans. We're on a losing skid, so blame the refs. Exactly why the refs probably hate us. We're playing like dog $hit. WE need to be better. The refs are bad every where, not just in Vancouver games

You must have a seriously talented dog....
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#33 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

from the nashville side of things, its in there game plan to get burrows out from in front of the net. if you look back to a lot of our goals from the point this year, burrows is blocking the goalies vision. he is on top of his game in front of the net.
the refs choosing not to call penalties, allows the opposition to accomplish their goal much easier.

True, that's how Kes managed alot of his goals in his 40 goal campaign, he parked himself in front of the net and had tip-ins or garbage goals and took a lot of abuse for it. Burr has been doing that alot this season with some success. I am glad Burr is being put out in front of the goalie for screening the goalie, he did this in the past and now for some reason Canucks brass are finally tuning in.

#34 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Gillis and AV need to man up, take the fine and call out the refs.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#35 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

It has been bad for a whole range of players taking strange minors (hahahha, yeah, i know that reads funny), especially for Burr.

I am sure that every single GM have been bantering with the NHL about the reffing.

Suprised the Canuck bias has extended this long.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#36 LionofJudah

LionofJudah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

I missed the punch to the face he took, anyone have a video?
Sabali, Sabali, Sabali, yonkontê. Sabali, Sabali, Sabali, kiye. Ni kêra môgô.
Sabali - that's patience.

#37 coyotecanuck

coyotecanuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Typical league apologist all worried about what Flames fans think. Frankly, I don't give a damn what any other fan from any other city thinks -- Alex Burrows does not get an ounce of fairness from the refs -- and I say it's dangerous.

This 'rant' has been brewing in me for awhile now. The recent losing skid (two games is not a skid by the way) has nothing to do with it.

"Who knows, the center ice ref might have had a better view than the ref 5 feet away."

#38 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

This
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#39 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

I'll reiterate for the OP, because black and white only type posters like you only read what you want to read. This OP is not about the refs in general its about the targeting of Alex Burrows for "special treatment" by the ref brotherhood, especially since the Auger incident and Mcleans one-sided video smear.

Are there other players that are targeted by the refs? probably. And its unfair to them as well. Although I can't think of ANY current player with the same kind of bias that Alex takes on a nightly basis. And its starting to get dangerous especially when other teams pests see an opportunity. Like in a prison when other inmates see that the guards will look the other way if they choose to abuse that one prisoner that complained about one of the guards at one time to a TV news reporter.

#40 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Our PP isn't exactly carrying our team right now anyways ;)

#41 coyotecanuck

coyotecanuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

I'll reiterate for the OP, because black and white only type posters like you only read what you want to read. This OP is not about the refs in general its about the targeting of Alex Burrows for "special treatment" by the ref brotherhood, especially since the Auger incident and Mcleans one-sided video smear.

Are there other players that are targeted by the refs? probably. And its unfair to them as well. Although I can't think of ANY current player with the same kind of bias that Alex takes on a nightly basis. And its starting to get dangerous especially when other teams pests see an opportunity. Like in a prison when other inmates see that the guards will look the other way if they choose to abuse that one prisoner that complained about one of the guards at one time to a TV news reporter.

exactly!

"Who knows, the center ice ref might have had a better view than the ref 5 feet away."

#42 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

i was 100% behind burrows calling out the reffs against nashville years back

but its followed him and his linemates and really wish he never did it
Posted Image

#43 coyotecanuck

coyotecanuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

i was 100% behind burrows calling out the reffs against nashville years back

but its followed him and his linemates and really wish he never did it

I agree. Emotions got the best of him. But as I explained earlier, that whole situation was pretty unique.

#44 Geoff Peterson

Geoff Peterson

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

Funny how most of the calls seem to go to the American teams way, more often than not, when they are playing a Canadian based team.

#45 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

I guess Burrows bit off more then he could chew.

I would hope that the purpose and goal of a referee is fairness and to make sure the game is played according to the rules, but of course, that is not the purpose in the NHL - along with making sure as much as possible that the games end up according to league dictates, they also have their petty axes to grind. Of course, once you have sacrificed your honor by giving up your sense of justice to gain the favor of your employer, you have precious little honor left to resist the desire to gain the satisfaction of your own personal petty grievences and punish your favorite whipping boys - especially the ones who have the nerve to speak about the way they have been threatened and then treated in the past. When a man is already a cheat, it doesn't take much to make sure he can find victims to compensate for his lack of pride and self-esteem. For me, the actions of the league and their represtatives on the ice, and in Toronto reviewing calls, have made officiating laughable even by NBA standards (Bettman's dubious background), and have brought it down to the level of WWF - it is such a terrible shame for what used to be such a great sport.

#46 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Well too bad so sad. What can Burrows do to fix this? Shut his mouth and stop complaining after every penalty he gets. He might even have to over do it to finally get respect from the refs again. We and Burrows need to stop complaining, and he needs to just focus on his game and produce points. Nothing else to say really
Posted Image

#47 coyotecanuck

coyotecanuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

I would hope that the purpose and goal of a referee is fairness and to make sure the game is played according to the rules, but of course, that is not the purpose in the NHL - along with making sure as much as possible that the games end up according to league dictates, they also have their petty axes to grind. Of course, once you have sacrificed your honor by giving up your sense of justice to gain the favor of your employer, you have precious little honor left to resist the desire to gain the satisfaction of your own personal petty grievences and punish your favorite whipping boys - especially the ones who have the nerve to speak about the way they have been threatened and then treated in the past. When a man is already a cheat, it doesn't take much to make sure he can find victims to compensate for his lack of pride and self-esteem. For me, the actions of the league and their represtatives on the ice, and in Toronto reviewing calls, have made officiating laughable even by NBA standards (Bettman's dubious background), and have brought it down to the level of WWF - it is such a terrible shame for what used to be such a great sport.

The WWF is an interesting analogy. Burrows has been black marked as a wrestling heel; but no matter what he does it seems there will be no 'heel face turn.'

#48 coyotecanuck

coyotecanuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Well too bad so sad. What can Burrows do to fix this? Shut his mouth and stop complaining after every penalty he gets. He might even have to over do it to finally get respect from the refs again. We and Burrows need to stop complaining, and he needs to just focus on his game and produce points. Nothing else to say really

He does focus on his game, he does take the abuse in the dirty areas and he does produce, and almost always he accepts his fate without a word. So how long will he have to do this to get the respect? Because I see no signs of things breaking even for him any time soon. An NHL career is fleeting and very fragile. These abuses will add up on him.

Taking the high road isn't working for him, that is for sure. So you are right, what can be done? I think it comes down to Canuck PR, it has dropped the ball on the Burrows makeover. Compare it to the sell job the Pens did on the new Matt Cooke, and it maybe got 1/10 the coverage. FREE ALEX BURROWS.

#49 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

The dive call on Danny was the most retarded diving call in the history of diving calls.

Since semantics and tiny details are considered very important on CDC I would like to respectfully point out that Daniel was NOT called for "diving"; he was called for "embellishment". Big difference.

#50 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Everyone in the league knows that you can cross-check Burrows, facewash him, knock him down away from the puck, punch him in the face, slash his wrists and ankles, hi-stick him 'accidentally', and all the rest, do whatever, because it will never ever get called. Burrows is #1 with a bullet on the officiating $#!% list. He's tough and he fights through that stuff and still has success, he fought his way to the NHL and he can fight through the refs too, but it's got to be frustrating for him and for the team, I know it's frustrating for me as a fan, to be watching the outrageously different set of rules that applies to one guy.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#51 Sestito29

Sestito29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

You plant sh*t seeds, you get.....sh*t weeds.

#52 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

I don't think in the history of hockey a ref had approached a player pre-game, promised retribution for something that had happened in games prior, and then had the lack of professionalism to see the threat through not once but twice with the game on the line. Auger called his shot. He deserved to be shamed for it.

How do you know that Auger "promised retribution" for Burrows' dive that totally fooled him and led to a 5 minute PP that won the game for us? Oh yes that's right, Burrows said so so it just has to be true, despite the fact that Auger insists that he only told Burrows that he would be watching him more carefully and would call any dives that he saw. Big difference. The big problem was that Burrows could not PROVE that Auger said that he was going to "get" him; there is no audio tape of the conversation so you have the word of an NHL official versus the word of a notorious play actor. The additional fact that the whole conversation was conducted in French ( a detail that took days to be revealed by Burrows) makes his assertion seem even more specious. When you factor in that Auger was recently "retired" from the league and that the Burrows affair almost certainly played a part in it then is it any wonder that any ref in the league is going to think twice before they fall for another one of Burrows' dives. He is a marked man in the NHL reffing community and rightly so especially when you consider that the beginning of the end for Auger (who was admittedly a very mediocre ref; a histrionic prima donna) was falling for a Burrows dive in the first place. What do people here expect?

It's a pity because IMHO Burrows is our #1 money player.

Edited by thema, 27 February 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#53 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

I used to defend the refs. They have to see things in real-time compared to the fan's benefit of instant replay. They have to decide what to call and what to let go and try to be consistant. Its a really hard job to do and you will never please everybody.

However, I've lost my confidence in them almost completely. The general quality of reffereeing in the NHL has gone downhill in recent years. Its not just the increasing inaccuracy of the minor calls that happen every game (although that's part of it). We're now seeing clear bias against some teams and individual players. In the Auger incident, we saw a referee actually disregarding the rules of the game to exact 'revenge' against one particular player. He denied it, the NHL punished Burrows and tried to sweep the whole thing under the rug.

Looking back to our Chicago series in 2011, I honestly believe that the refs were trying to help Chicago win. I can't think of any other explanation as to how those first 6 games were called vs the last one after Gillis complained about it to the media. I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory but I've never seen calls favour one particular team to such a huge extent for 6 long games in a row. And it wasn't just sheer powerplay advantage, it was the fact that all the Hawks penalties were called when the games were out of hand and the Canucks were called when the outcome was in doubt. When Gillis complained, all of a sudden the refs virtually put away their whistles and the penalties evened up for game 7 (I think one was called against each team). Is that really just a coincidence? 6 games is a hell of a long time for things to be consistantly called in favour of one team.

#54 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I still say that the decline in the quality of NHL officiating can be traced back to when they decided to adopt a 2 ref system which suddenly required twice as many qualified officials which they simply didn't have. They have been playing catch up ever since.

#55 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

The refs are compounding our already current problems and being pretty bloody obvious about it. We'll never play our way out of this funk we're in if we have face two different opponents per game.

#56 coyotecanuck

coyotecanuck

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

How do you know that Auger "promised retribution" for Burrows' dive that totally fooled him and led to a 5 minute PP that won the game for us? Oh yes that's right, Burrows said so so it just has to be true, despite the fact that Auger insists that he only told Burrows that he would be watching him more carefully and would call any dives that he saw. Big difference. The big problem was that Burrows could not PROVE that Auger said that he was going to "get" him; there is no audio tape of the conversation so you have the word of an NHL official versus the word of a notorious play actor. The additional fact that the whole conversation was conducted in French ( a detail that took days to be revealed by Burrows) makes his assertion seem even more specious. When you factor in that Auger was recently "retired" from the league and that the Burrows affair almost certainly played a part in it then is it any wonder that any ref in the league is going to think twice before they fall for another one of Burrows' dives. He is a marked man in the NHL reffing community and rightly so especially when you consider that the beginning of the end for Auger (who was admittedly a very mediocre ref; a histrionic prima donna) was falling for a Burrows dive in the first place. What do people here expect?

Just curios, if Auger didn't say it, why then was he, in your own words, retired due to the Burrows incident? The circumstantial evidence was overwhelming, that's why. People have been convicted of murder without so much as a body, you understand.

Burrows is bi-ligual, in his head the difference between French Canadian and English is blurred. I have francophone friends that slip between english and french without knowing it.

Regardless, your point is moot. Making excuses for refs to not do their jobs because of an incident two years ago totally disregards the job of the ref and the refs creed. It would be honourless for a ref to not uphold the rules of the sport of hockey due to a grudge, don't you think? Why do you think judges recuse themselves from cases that are too personal? In short if the refs can't differentiate between what is right or wrong, based on the evidence directly before them --using their eyes and knowledge of the rule book; as opposed to their memories -- then they should be out of the league.

Their number one job is player safety. Even the GTF arrests murderers who murder murderers.

Edited by coyotecanuck, 27 February 2013 - 06:58 PM.

#57 ProudCanadian3

ProudCanadian3

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

I personally have a huge amount of respect for Burrow's. Now, we need to get rid of Weise!!
Proud Canadian and I love my Canucks!

#58 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

I was going to write something about Burrows being a warrior and a heart and soul guy but I find nothing I say will properly express what he means to this team and the fans. He works his ass off night in and night out, and he takes all sorts of crap from opposing players, the refs and just about everyone in the hockey media. Some players say they'll "knock off the antics" but Burrows actually manned up and (for the most part) has stopped with all that. I use to think Kesler was this teams next captain but my vote officially lies with Burrows.

I guess I did write something about Burrows being a warrior...

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#59 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

coyotecanuck replied about the circumstantial evidence...but I would like to add..You've watched Alex play and seen that he took less than market and never complained, how he conducts himself in front of the cameras usually. Now do you actually think that this guy would voluntarily lie on national TV about this? You could tell he was agitated when he was talking. It probably wasn't the best idea to talk while still angry but he did. Do you honestly think a character like Alex could or would even do that? What's in it for him? A lot of misery.

And to expand on the circumstantial evidence. There is video of Auger coming up and talking to him before the game, and they don't look like they're sharing a Francophone joke. Then during the game Burrows gets called for two phantom penalties one interference and one diving. This was the first diving penalty of the year and something like the second in his entire NHL career. You'd think he's have more of a record if he was as bad as Ron Mclean let on. Even Lu after the game supported Alex and called the penalties bogus.

From the Predators game January 11, 2010,

Diving (call initially no one knew what the penalty was):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yrULavQbt2A

Then the Interference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8e8DdkLl-lU

All this in a close game, and still Alex scores two goals, but the penalties cost us and we lost the game.

I don't see how anyone could doubt what happened.

#60 yete

yete

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:20 AM

like i said before its time canucks change there image front of the league

look at what montreal did take a page out of there book

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.