The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows, do the refs really 'love' him or what?

coyotecanuck

I'll reiterate for the OP, because black and white only type posters like you only read what you want to read. This OP is not about the refs in general its about the targeting of Alex Burrows for "special treatment" by the ref brotherhood, especially since the Auger incident and Mcleans one-sided video smear.

Are there other players that are targeted by the refs? probably. And its unfair to them as well. Although I can't think of ANY current player with the same kind of bias that Alex takes on a nightly basis. And its starting to get dangerous especially when other teams pests see an opportunity. Like in a prison when other inmates see that the guards will look the other way if they choose to abuse that one prisoner that complained about one of the guards at one time to a TV news reporter.

I'll reiterate for the OP, because black and white only type posters like you only read what you want to read. This OP is not about the refs in general its about the targeting of Alex Burrows for "special treatment" by the ref brotherhood, especially since the Auger incident and Mcleans one-sided video smear.

Are there other players that are targeted by the refs? probably. And its unfair to them as well. Although I can't think of ANY current player with the same kind of bias that Alex takes on a nightly basis. And its starting to get dangerous especially when other teams pests see an opportunity. Like in a prison when other inmates see that the guards will look the other way if they choose to abuse that one prisoner that complained about one of the guards at one time to a TV news reporter.

I would hope that the purpose and goal of a referee is fairness and to make sure the game is played according to the rules, but of course, that is not the purpose in the NHL - along with making sure as much as possible that the games end up according to league dictates, they also have their petty axes to grind. Of course, once you have sacrificed your honor by giving up your sense of justice to gain the favor of your employer, you have precious little honor left to resist the desire to gain the satisfaction of your own personal petty grievences and punish your favorite whipping boys - especially the ones who have the nerve to speak about the way they have been threatened and then treated in the past. When a man is already a cheat, it doesn't take much to make sure he can find victims to compensate for his lack of pride and self-esteem. For me, the actions of the league and their represtatives on the ice, and in Toronto reviewing calls, have made officiating laughable even by NBA standards (Bettman's dubious background), and have brought it down to the level of WWF - it is such a terrible shame for what used to be such a great sport.

Well too bad so sad. What can Burrows do to fix this? Shut his mouth and stop complaining after every penalty he gets. He might even have to over do it to finally get respect from the refs again. We and Burrows need to stop complaining, and he needs to just focus on his game and produce points. Nothing else to say really

Everyone in the league knows that you can cross-check Burrows, facewash him, knock him down away from the puck, punch him in the face, slash his wrists and ankles, hi-stick him 'accidentally', and all the rest, do whatever, because it will never ever get called. Burrows is #1 with a bullet on the officiating $#!% list. He's tough and he fights through that stuff and still has success, he fought his way to the NHL and he can fight through the refs too, but it's got to be frustrating for him and for the team, I know it's frustrating for me as a fan, to be watching the outrageously different set of rules that applies to one guy.

I don't think in the history of hockey a ref had approached a player pre-game, promised retribution for something that had happened in games prior, and then had the lack of professionalism to see the threat through not once but twice with the game on the line. Auger called his shot. He deserved to be shamed for it.

I used to defend the refs. They have to see things in real-time compared to the fan's benefit of instant replay. They have to decide what to call and what to let go and try to be consistant. Its a really hard job to do and you will never please everybody.

However, I've lost my confidence in them almost completely. The general quality of reffereeing in the NHL has gone downhill in recent years. Its not just the increasing inaccuracy of the minor calls that happen every game (although that's part of it). We're now seeing clear bias against some teams and individual players. In the Auger incident, we saw a referee actually disregarding the rules of the game to exact 'revenge' against one particular player. He denied it, the NHL punished Burrows and tried to sweep the whole thing under the rug.

Looking back to our Chicago series in 2011, I honestly believe that the refs were trying to help Chicago win. I can't think of any other explanation as to how those first 6 games were called vs the last one after Gillis complained about it to the media. I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory but I've never seen calls favour one particular team to such a huge extent for 6 long games in a row. And it wasn't just sheer powerplay advantage, it was the fact that all the Hawks penalties were called when the games were out of hand and the Canucks were called when the outcome was in doubt. When Gillis complained, all of a sudden the refs virtually put away their whistles and the penalties evened up for game 7 (I think one was called against each team). Is that really just a coincidence? 6 games is a hell of a long time for things to be consistantly called in favour of one team.

I still say that the decline in the quality of NHL officiating can be traced back to when they decided to adopt a 2 ref system which suddenly required twice as many qualified officials which they simply didn't have. They have been playing catch up ever since.

How do you know that Auger "promised retribution" for Burrows' dive that totally fooled him and led to a 5 minute PP that won the game for us? Oh yes that's right, Burrows said so so it just has to be true, despite the fact that Auger insists that he only told Burrows that he would be watching him more carefully and would call any dives that he saw. Big difference. The big problem was that Burrows could not PROVE that Auger said that he was going to "get" him; there is no audio tape of the conversation so you have the word of an NHL official versus the word of a notorious play actor. The additional fact that the whole conversation was conducted in French ( a detail that took days to be revealed by Burrows) makes his assertion seem even more specious. When you factor in that Auger was recently "retired" from the league and that the Burrows affair almost certainly played a part in it then is it any wonder that any ref in the league is going to think twice before they fall for another one of Burrows' dives. He is a marked man in the NHL reffing community and rightly so especially when you consider that the beginning of the end for Auger (who was admittedly a very mediocre ref; a histrionic prima donna) was falling for a Burrows dive in the first place. What do people here expect?

It's a pity because IMHO Burrows is our #1 money player.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I was going to write something about Burrows being a warrior and a heart and soul guy but I find nothing I say will properly express what he means to this team and the fans. He works his ass off night in and night out, and he takes all sorts of crap from opposing players, the refs and just about everyone in the hockey media. Some players say they'll "knock off the antics" but Burrows actually manned up and (for the most part) has stopped with all that. I use to think Kesler was this teams next captain but my vote officially lies with Burrows.

I guess I did write something about Burrows being a warrior...

How do you know that Auger "promised retribution" for Burrows' dive that totally fooled him and led to a 5 minute PP that won the game for us? Oh yes that's right, Burrows said so so it just has to be true, despite the fact that Auger insists that he only told Burrows that he would be watching him more carefully and would call any dives that he saw. Big difference. The big problem was that Burrows could not PROVE that Auger said that he was going to "get" him; there is no audio tape of the conversation so you have the word of an NHL official versus the word of a notorious play actor. The additional fact that the whole conversation was conducted in French ( a detail that took days to be revealed by Burrows) makes his assertion seem even more specious. When you factor in that Auger was recently "retired" from the league and that the Burrows affair almost certainly played a part in it then is it any wonder that any ref in the league is going to think twice before they fall for another one of Burrows' dives. He is a marked man in the NHL reffing community and rightly so especially when you consider that the beginning of the end for Auger (who was admittedly a very mediocre ref; a histrionic prima donna) was falling for a Burrows dive in the first place. What do people here expect?

It's a pity because IMHO Burrows is our #1 money player.

Archived