The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kesler out 4-6 weeks with a broken foot

-Vintage Canuck-

Again it's hypothetical. Kesler is not going anywhere because he was drafted here, had a good playoff round, supposedly the "heart and soul" (though I see Burrows being more that player now) blah blah blah.

Alls I'm saying is if we could get Schenn and Simmonds type players for Kesler then I don't know how anyone would say no to that. Maybe if you're one of those people who knows very little about hockey players outside the Canucks organization, but someone knowledgeable about hockey would do that trade.

Problem with Kesler/O'Reilly is they rely too much on hard-work for points. It can only take you so far. They lack natural talent to make their line-mates better.

Look at the forward core. Other then Sedins, everyone is a complementary player.

Can Burrows carry a line on his own? Higgins? Booth? Raymond? Hansen?

I don't think Kesler can either. O'Reilly would have a tough time working with our players too.

Canucks lack a natural skilled forward on the 2nd line. Look at Chicago

XXXXX-Toews-Hossa

Sharp-XXXXX-Kane

Two extremely skilled, talented players on the top two lines. Plug anyone you want, and you'll get production. Hence in their case, Saad and Bolland.

With the Canucks its basically...

Sedin-Sedin-XXXXX

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Plug anyone with the Sedins, you get good production. But who's the 2nd line anchor?

Problem with Kesler/O'Reilly is they rely too much on hard-work for points. It can only take you so far. They lack natural talent to make their line-mates better.

Look at the forward core. Other then Sedins, everyone is a complementary player.

Can Burrows carry a line on his own? Higgins? Booth? Raymond? Hansen?

I don't think Kesler can either. O'Reilly would have a tough time working with our players too.

Canucks lack a natural skilled forward on the 2nd line. Look at Chicago

XXXXX-Toews-Hossa

Sharp-XXXXX-Kane

Two extremely skilled, talented players on the top two lines. Plug anyone you want, and you'll get production. Hence in their case, Saad and Bolland.

With the Canucks its basically...

Sedin-Sedin-XXXXX

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Plug anyone with the Sedins, you get good production. But who's the 2nd line anchor?

This is very true and something that has bugged me about this team for a very long time. A lot of our players just overachieved offensively, but they can't be expected to keep up those goal totals (kesler's 40 goal season). We just don't have that high-end offensive sniper/dangler on our team. Hell, even our two art ross trophy champs, suck at dangling (their shootout attempts are proof of this. people always complain about how the shootout isn't fair, but it still points out a glaring hole in canucks offensive skillset. No players with crazy/dangling skills). They have a hard time creating something out of nothing individually. Every once in awhile, you need a player with such high-end skill that they can dangle someone one-on-one. The Canucks don't have any players that can do that with ease. The Sedins are brilliant playmakers and score most of their goals from amazing passes, but even they don't really put up many goals by amazing individual efforts. There's a reason why this team makes many goalies look like vezina trophy candidates. Tim Thomas was amazing in the Finals, but we made him look even better because our offense sucks, especially when our #1 power play fell apart. Just look at the t-bay/boston series where t-bay scored many goalies against TT. It's not that tt went superhuman, we just made him look like it. I'm not arguing that he had a great series, but part of the reason is that the Canucks have a tendency to do this.

More high-end offensive skill is needed.

Archived