The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How deep will we go?

EagleShield

Poll:  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A variation on a theme with the "Will we win the Cup" thread...

We aren't playing our best hockey at the moment, but that doesn't take away from the fact that we have one of the most talented teams in the League.

Due to an incredibly weak NW division, I think it's pretty safe to say that we'll make the playoffs this year. I'm interested in gauging how far other fans think we'll go, and why.

While the playoffs very much depend on who you play (Phoenix->Nashvill->Dallas->Toronto = Heaven; Detroit->Anaheim->Chicago->Boston = Hell), we can generally say what we are expecting to happen.

I think we'll go out in the second round. We are probably going to be just that bit better than whoever we face first, but there appears to be a lack of determination and coherence (and most worryingly for playoff hockey: consistency) about the team. There has never been a sense of injustice and craving to right the wrongs of 2011, which I don't really understand. (Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than to see Henrik hoist the mug after a 16-0 playoff run, but I just don't see it.)

Thoughts?

hoping our team can turn it around like we did in 2009. you guys remember that season?

Started out very bad. Luongo got hurt, we were 20 points behind Calgary Flames for division title. Carolina came in, Alex Burrows scores the game winner on a short handed goal, the team from then on, went on a killer streak, and took the division title on the last game of the season.

I think we can still rebound. We have a lot of potential to do great things. The roster is there. We are playing so bad right now, i can't see it getting any worst. Also I can't see us losing in the first round again. That being said, if Minnesota somehow takes the division from us, we finish in the 7 or 8th spot, I am expecting us to get beaten in the 1st round. also depends which goalie shows up too. If we get the 2007 of Luongo we good. If we get the 2009 version of Luongo we screwed.

I think we'll player a team lower than us in the standings and we will win like we usually do and then lose in the 2nd round to a team that is better than us like we usually do. Until I see our guys with a comparable compete level to that of Chicago I don't think there is any chance of us going deep in the post season. So far this year our guys seem like they are stuck in 2nd gear.

Out in the first round. We'll make the playoffs simply because our division is so horrible, but teams will come at the Canucks with an aggressive forecheck and we'll have to watch them fall apart once again. Boston did it, LA did it, and now every team is doing it to the Canucks.

The Canucks are playing predictable hockey and other teams are onto it now. Since the 2011 Cup run, Gillis has made very little improvements to the team. At this point David Booth and Jason Garrison can't be considered improvements, although Garrison should be given the benefit of the doubt.

The defence is the most glaring issue facing this team. They are, on paper, one of the best bluelines in the league. However in reality, they are one of the most porous. Signing Edler to a six year deal complete with a NTC was a mistake as he is proving once again to be the most inconsistent player on the team and once again is horrible in his own end.

I can't see this team going very far with the present roster or coach. Vigneaults tactics and message has gone stale with this team and frankly he is far too predictable with his plays, and far too eratic with his line juggling to get this team very far anymore.

Hopefully Gillis can make a move by the trade deadline that clearly improves this team and not just do another reclamation project like Cam Barker. Also the man needs to stop signing No Trade Clauses for players like Edler.

Either way, unless the Canucks go deep, I expect a partial rebuild in the summer.

Posting this at any point before close to the end of the season is pointless...Especially with how this forum is...Ask this poll when we are on a 6 game winning streak and we are guaranteed to win the cup. Ask this when times have been a little tough and we are doomed!

Archived