The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for NHL to pull head out of the sand

sting

NHL needs to address the some major problems with the game.

Even strength goals are at at an all time low.

2012/13 1.74 per game per team or 3.48 a game total

1990/91 2.43 and 4.86

1995/96. 2.14 and 4.28

2010/11. 2.01 and 4.02

That's 56 goals less over an 82 game schedule per team average since 1990!!

Why is this so?

1. Systems i.e Coaching

Teams that play a safe commited game are more effective than talented teams that play riskier offensive styles. Coaching a game that has absolutely no 3 on 2,s and 2 on 1's against is the objective of way too many teams and playing a " solid road game" is considered the norm. Last years playoffs in tUhe West had all the shutdown teams eliminate the more offensive one's.

Possible solutions??...Simple = 3pt win in regulation. Drastic = bonus pt for 4 goals in regulation?

2. Goalie equipment

Watching the game against Phoenix last night I could not help and laugh at Garry Valk saying how AMAZING Mike Smith is for the Coyotes. After his comment they showed a highlight package which included ONE really good save off Booth. Fact is (Smith has admitted as much)the system the Coyotes play and the MASSIVE equipment an already big goalie wears makes it almost impossible to score without clean looks.

Solutions??....Simple = Reduction of pad sizes by 2" in rise and a crack down on any body pads that protrude out. ( most commonly the Garth Snow shoulder pads) Drastic = enlarge nets

3. Lack of talent

Have heard the argument that with 30 teams there is not enough talent to go around. Not buying it! I would counter this argument with the growth of the game has allowed for a KHL to form in Europe and USA hockey has become a power. The overall skill level is at an all time high and composite sticks allow for quicker harder shots as well. No solutions needed

Summary.....all the rule changes made to bring speed and offense back to the game from the dead puck era have now been mitigated. The league has an agreement in place for 10 seasons now and once they get re- alignment done they MUST make the scoring drain a priority. I can only hope when they do so it is in no way left in the referees hands to make some ticky tack calls to give more power plays.

Sorry for the long read..... Just sick of watching teams get outshot 35-20 and winning because they had five guys stuffed into the slot all game and waited for an eventual miscue.

Thoughts???

The biggest problem is the goalie equipment, but the goalies will say "then the players have to lose the composite sticks." I think that's a fair trade, but the NHL, who makes little money as it is, would lose all this money from the equipment manufacturers. You could try to make the neutral zone trap illegal like the NBA did with zone defense, but too many coaches and franchises would complain about it. The best solution is to make the ice larger, the players are too big and too fast now to fit on an ice surface that was designed for their counterparts of 30 and 40 years ago. But if you make the ice bigger, that eliminates seats at the arena and owners would complain about it. The NHL is not a forward thinking organization, they stick to their same tired ideas and hope that this year or that year it will all suddenly work. Not gonna happen.

Here's my proposal, every time there's a fight, have a panel of judge award points to the winner. THN allow fans to vote through text to award another set of points. Winner of the fight (as chosen by the judges and fans) gets a penalty shot.

Notserious

Archived