The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We do need a 3rd line center. Weiss would be good for it.

Every year a former 1st line, but under performing player gets put on trade rumours. So I am not too worry about his current numbers. This guy has been pretty consistent in his career. He is a career -15 on a pretty bad Panthers team for years. That said something.

Booth and Weiss used to play together. So our new 3rd line would the the former Panthers 1st line. Having an "under performing" 1st line as our 3rd line would be pretty sweet. They would be facing far easier competition (Corsi) and their points would improve.

Canucks is about depth and attrition. This guy fits our philosophy; Having multiple 4-6 million dollars players switching roles, instead of having just one 8-9 million dollar player.

It really depends on the asking price. If the price is good, I don't see why not give it a shot. We have cap space this year, specially with Kesler out (T_T). Maybe get him for a pick so we don't lose anyone.

Am I the only one here fed up with getting Panther players?

I mean

David Booth, Keith Ballard, and Jason Garrison earn a collective 13+ million dollar.... and they all have underperformed. NONE OF THEM have worked... In my opinion all three are overpaid overrated players...

NO MORE PANTHERS! What we don't need is another struggling Panther to take on. What are we a panther animal shelter?

No to Weiss.

No more Florida players. So far anything we've gotten from Florida has been a bust. I was glad to see Booth come here but now ... I wonder if it's the players or the coach not knowing how to use these guys. I'm thinking the later. AV is stale.

All the ex-Panthers the Canucks have right now are some of our best players.

Luongo, Higgins, Booth, Ballard and Garrison.

Lu is our franchise goalie.

Higgins is our best forechecker and a consistent work-horse.

Booth was on pace for 25 goals last season and is finding his game again now.

Ballard is having his best season as a Canuck so far, great +/-.

Garrison is finding his shot again, 3rd goal in 20 games is on pace for 12 on the season. Great +/- too.

ex-Panther or not, if a good player and perfect fit for our missing hole comes available the Canucks should pounce. Maybe throw Florida a 2nd rounder and a depth defenceman at most. We have 2.5M cap space free thanks to Malhotra on IR, giving us just enough to afford Weiss.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Booth

Raymond - Weiss - Schroeder

Hansen - Lapierre - Kassian

Sestito

Weise

Great depth.

No more players from Florida. The adjustment time seems too long for the new players to adjust to. Also they seem to arrive while just getting over a groin pull. Then it's like our coach has something against players from Florida. Might be easier to rid of the coach.

Stephen+Weiss+Florida+Panthers+v+Vancouver+VKNiOYvG5O9l.jpg

Panthers Bench Slumping Stephen Weiss

February 25, 2013|By Harvey Fialkov, Sun Sentinel

http://articles.sun-...jacob-markstrom

SUNRISE — Stephen Weiss has been one of the most consistent two-way players in franchise history, so his season-long slump on both ends of the ice has been baffling to coach Kevin Dineen, who finally sent the veteran center a stern message during and after Sunday's 4-1 loss to Boston.

Dineen not only moved a listless Weiss from the top line to the fourth line as the game progressed but he benched him for all but two shifts in the third period, including the final 6:01 when the outcome was still in doubt.

pixel.gif

Weiss, who played a season-low 15:14, has picked the worst time to have one goal and three assists in 14 games to go with his NHL-worse minus-11 on-ice rating (tied with former Panther Olli Jokinen).

"That made it much easier for me to have him sitting there and not part of the equation with the quality of hockey he's playing right now,'' a grim Dineen said after the game of normally leaning on Weiss at every turn.

Weiss, 29, who was surprisingly passed over for the captaincy this season, got off to a slow start partly due to a groin injury and flu. But he told the Sun Sentinel last week that he's completely healthy.

"I feel good physically and just got to stick to the same things I've always done and believe it'll turn around offensively,'' Weiss said.

Weiss is making $4.1 million in the final season of his contract and although he's a four-time 20-plus goal scorer and reliable faceoff man, his trade value is plummeting.

GM Dale Tallon has repeatedly denied the trade rumors surrounding Weiss and a source said that the Panthers aren't dangling Weiss or a benched goalie Jose Theodore – yet.

Stephen Weiss returns to Panthers

Veteran center returns from family funeral and hopes to pick up his play during critical stage of season

February 28, 2013|By Harvey Fialkov, Sun Sentinel

http://articles.sun-...plex-drew-shore

CORAL SPRINGS — — With the Panthers about to begin a critical 10-game stretch over 17 days, starting with the Eastern Conference cellar-dwelling Buffalo Sabres on Thursday, it had to be a sweet sight for coach Kevin Dineen to see center Stephen Weiss back on the ice during morning skate at Saveology.com Iceplex.

A slumping Weiss, who missed Tuesday's thrilling 6-4 victory over the Penguins to attend the funeral of his grandmother, Elizabeth Weiss, in Toronto, was benched for all but two shifts in Sunday's 4-1 loss to the Bruins

pixel.gif

"I think so,'' Dineen said of Weiss picking up his play. "You get to step away for a few days for all the wrong reasons, and again condolences to his family, but he comes back in and like the rest of the players we talked about, this is the toughest part of our schedule right now until the 16th,'' Dineen said. "It's every other day or back-to-back, so we knew it was coming and now we're in the thick of it and we're going to need every single player, especially the guys we rely on heavily, will be a big part of our immediate playoff push right now.''

Weiss said his grandmother's failing health was no excuse for his slow start. He has one goal and three assists, along with an NHL-worst minus-11 among forwards.

"Like my dad said yesterday in a story he told, she didn't have a mean bone in her body, very warm, always ready to give you advice,'' Weiss said. "We'll miss her, for sure. "My parents kept it from me. I didn't know until after the Boston game [sunday]. I knew she wasn't in the best shape over the last year or so. Her quality of life was a little bit low, so certainly the last couple of days before the Boston game she wasn't doing too well. But they didn't tell me.

"It was definitely nice to go back home to see the family. Any time that happens it kind of refocuses you, so I'm looking forward to playing tonight.''

Weiss said he didn't blame Dineen for the benching.

"It's never fun to be sat,'' he said. "The easy answer is to play better, that's the bottom line.''

LOL at the people saying don't trade for Weiss (prior to the injury) because Canucks only trade when the player is slumping. How do you think we even get these players without giving up anything significant? I am all for trading when the value of the player is low because that means you don't have to give up much. What I don't want is trading for a player when the value is at the highest. Imagine what we would have to give up. it's a gamble but you win some and you lose some. But I'd rather lose some and not have given up much in the first place.

Archived