The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I disagree with y'all.

More Panthers please.

Luo, Higgy, Ballard, Jovo, Garrison... - bring us more o dat MG!

Having a hard time thinking of a deal with Florida that the Canucks lost actually.

As for Weiss - perhaps the Panthers are playing their part in his struggles / reaping what they sow there.

Gotta be on a shortlist of the best forwards in that franchise's history, with Bure, Jokinen, Melanby and Kozlov.

Hung up on contract negotiations - must have been difficult dealing with the 'thrifty' Panthers in the offseason... and now...

What have you done for us lately Weiss?

No captaincy for him - gave it to Jovo instead.

Injuries. Injuries to his linemates. Probably injuries to his enthusiasm to remain a Panther as well.

But not a very good fit for the Canucks....would prefer Goc and Shore in a deal.

Am I the only one here fed up with getting Panther players?

I mean

David Booth, Keith Ballard, and Jason Garrison earn a collective 13+ million dollar.... and they all have underperformed. NONE OF THEM have worked... In my opinion all three are overpaid overrated players...

NO MORE PANTHERS! What we don't need is another struggling Panther to take on. What are we a panther animal shelter?

No to Weiss.

I'm of the "buy low" camp, and (UNLESS it's a physical issue from which he won't recover fully for awhile) I don't think his value can get any lower (I'm sure if anyone's family suffered a recent loss their performance in whatever they do would go downhill).

I like how someone mentioned above the line of Booth - Weiss - Kesler (unless Booth can be swapped one-for-one for him, then I'd put Higgins on the left wing); this guy's still a solid player and center, and I'd rather have him there and setting up guys than Kes being selfish. I think Kes' time should be on the wing from now on, he's really brought down his linemates' play with his toe-drag, wrister from the slot routines. If both Kes and Booth had another play maker to play with they should flourish as shooters.

Tough to hear about his grandmother. That will certainly be a factor right now, but doesn't explain before unless she's been sick for some time. No one likes to hear about that.

I'm curious what you're referencing with his underlying numbers though. His Corsi is poor (16th on the Panthers out of 26 players) but his quality of competition is second highest. Some people don't like PDO much, but at .920, it's one of the lowest excluding players with 5 or less games played. That suggests he's had really bad luck and is due to improve a fair amount, possibly along with his possession numbers.

If it wasn't for him being due for a raise, he's a player I could see being useful. Even if he was signed just one more year before a raise, it'd help us get past the lowering cap in 2013/14 and see if the cap raises the year after.

We know they want Luongo and their goaltending hasn't been good. Theodore has been rumoured to not want a trade, perhaps particularly to the Canucks (perhaps because we're out West?), but might change his tune after being benched himself and is a UFA after this year. We'd certainly want something more in a young prospect and a possible conditional pick based on if either re-sign or not.

To Fla: Luongo, Gaunce

To Van: Weiss, Theodore, Bjugstad, conditional 1st

If both Weiss and Theodore re-sign, the pick gets dropped, but if neither do, it's a 1st. If one re-signs then it's a 3rd.

trade 1...

edler, booth, gaunce, 2nd

for

o'reilly, mcginn, elliott

trade2....

luongo, ballard

for

campbell, petrovic, matthias, clemmensen, 1st

sedin sedin burrows

mcginn o'reilly kassian

higgins kesler hansen

lapierre matthias weise

hamhuis bieksa

campbell tanev

garrison elliott/petrovic/alberts/barker/vandermeer

If Weiss can be acquired for cheap I don't see why we wouldn't do it. If he is a former Carolina Hurricane would you guys care? Yes we have quite a few florida players but that should have no bearing on a potential trade. If he can step in an improve the offense (and defense) why the hell not. He's playing for a coach who hates him which should be considered before writing him of as washed up

If we could acquire Campbell, we do it and worry about his cap hit later. He's exactly what we need on the back end to get our offense and powerplay to an elite level again.

Unfortunately Campbel probably won't waive his no trade clause, and Tallon likely doesn't want to trad him.

Archived