The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vigneault Appreciation Thread

Aladeen

This is great! Here I thought you were this stubborn guy who loves AV unconditionally but you do realize his short comings and understand that there are better coaches in the NHL (problem is they are all spoken for)

Now I'm intrigued, which current coaches are better than AV?

P.S. 2 people have called you 14 now... are you 14? ::D

If so, it feels wrong arguing with a kid...

For all the flak he gets on these boards and in the media (which is what a lot of people on these boards just regurgitate) I for one would like to give my thanks to AV for the great job he has done with this team.

Winning-est Coach in Franchise History - 297 and playoffs - 33

Divison Titles - 5

President's Trophies - 2

Some fans don't care about any of this but there are some that realize that these accomplishment aren't easy, although its still short of what we as fans hope for I believe this team can get it done with AV at the helm.

I think a lot of newer fans don't realize what it was like for long stretches being a Canuck's fan and never seeing a team that has the capability of competing year after year.

Some of us even appreciate how he handles himself with the media always professional and sometimes having fun with them especially when the media becomes ridiculous.

I personally appreciate how he stands behind our players with the most recent example during the whole Hansen-Hossa drama.

I know hockey is a results-oriented business but so long as the Canucks keep winning under him and competing for the Stanley Cup, by making the playoffs, he will have keep having fans (those that understand how tough it can be to win games in this league where teams are so good and the line between winning and losing is so small)

I for one would love to see this team win the Stanley Cup with AV at the helm. And i know its possible but for any team and any coach it won't be easy but I will be cheering for the Canucks as loud and hard as I can when the Canucks make the playoffs, yet again, for the 6th out of the 7 years AV has been bench boss.

Alain-Vigneault620460-Wayne-LeidenfrostPNG1lw.jpg

This is great! Here I thought you were this stubborn guy who loves AV unconditionally but you do realize his short comings and understand that there are better coaches in the NHL (problem is they are all spoken for)

Now I'm intrigued, which current coaches are better than AV?

P.S. 2 people have called you 14 now... are you 14? ::D

If so, it feels wrong arguing with a kid...

Finally a positive post on the Canucks. What? It's Been two losses In a row now .....lol

AV is a veteran pro coach

He knows how it goes win or lose, we will all critique him every which way until he wins a cup. It's the story of every non championship team.

He is a great coach but I think he needs to lose his $HaT a few times to show his team he really does give a two sh!t flying F~€# about winning a game. I enjoy his calm relaxed approach and 96% of the time it is what the team needs. But that 4% loosing your cool, getting fined for speaking your mind is so important.

Gretzky knows. Yzerman knows. Deflect attention to yourself when your team just needs a break !

still don't like the lack of emotion from him and i don't like the fact he doesn't blend in more prospects on the team.... prospects want to earn a check and want to stay in the nhl... experience guys know how to coast.... yes on positive really good numbers but i just think this team needs a change... they will get a wake up call if that nhl realighnment gets done...no more weak division...

Lol look at when I joined these boards, 2007, if I am 14 that would make me 8 when I joined LOL i'm no 14 - its intersting that those claiming I am must be below that level in math skills.

My list of coaches better than AV in no particular order:

Bylsma

Babcock - Best Head Coach in the league hands down, detroit is lucky to have him

Hitchcock - though I think they are close

Quenneville - though I really feel Bowman (Sr.) has his hand in the coaching jar

Boudreau, McLellan, Julien and Trotz - I would put them on Par

And an off the board pick would be DeBoer (who I think will be great)

Who I don't think is better than AV:

RUFF

Crawford

Noel

Arniel

MacT

Keenan

B. Sutter

Paul Maurice

Bob Hartley

The only coach that is available that I would consider > Vigneault is Quinn but I do think he is a little too old and for his own health (due to stress of the job) I don't want him to be coach.

AV needs to go. The more I watch his interviews the more I feel that his habit of always "having a little chuckle" sounds more like he's coasting at his job and believes the entire League is just a huge transparent joke to him. By extension, AV thinks the League's top prize, the Stanley Cup, is probably also a joke.

If a team ever wins a Cup with AV at the helm I wouldn't be surprised if the punchline of that interview would be "Yeah, it was okay. [teehee]"

Heh, this is a pretty weird time to make an AV appreciation thread. Our team has been incredibly flat lately and our coaching staff hasn't been getting the troops motivated at all it seems.

Edit:

Case in point: We get BLOWN OUT and EMBARRASSED by the Red Wings. The next game you'd expect the Canucks to come out with some jump at home and show everyone they're an elite team who moves on from adversity, right? New opening song and everything! (Japandroids)

Nope. They came out flat and lost to a team with mediocre offensive talent that plays a defensive game. Yawn.

Yup you're spot on. When Luongo first came to Vancouver we were playing more of a trap style.

But when we added the likes of Ehrhoff, Demitra, and the rise of Raymond we completely became a more puck possession team.

Pretty much when Gillis got hired he took the Detroit model and ran away with it.

what should i thank AV for?

the numerous amounts of NW division titles? in a weak division

or the presidents trophy 2 yrs in a row??? look the canucks need a playoff coach who can change his coaching style with games...

7 goals in 7 game series shutout at home.........

basically AV is a regular season coach

Heh, this is a pretty weird time to make an AV appreciation thread. Our team has been incredibly flat lately and our coaching staff hasn't been getting the troops motivated at all it seems.

Edit:

Case in point: We get BLOWN OUT and EMBARRASSED by the Red Wings. The next game you'd expect the Canucks to come out with some jump at home and show everyone they're an elite team who moves on from adversity, right? New opening song and everything! (Japandroids)

Nope. They came out flat and lost to a team with mediocre offensive talent that plays a defensive game. Yawn.

Finally a positive post on the Canucks. What? It's Been two losses In a row now .....lol

AV is a veteran pro coach

He knows how it goes win or lose, we will all critique him every which way until he wins a cup. It's the story of every non championship team.

He is a great coach but I think he needs to lose his $HaT a few times to show his team he really does give a two sh!t flying F~€# about winning a game. I enjoy his calm relaxed approach and 96% of the time it is what the team needs. But that 4% loosing your cool, getting fined for speaking your mind is so important.

Gretzky knows. Yzerman knows. Deflect attention to yourself when your team just needs a break !

Respect sir. I agree with your list.

Don't know enough about Ruff and perhaps the board is taking a mob mentality and advocating Ruff by watching his youtube clips rather than true hockey knowledge. I for one thought his passion and emotion would be a quick fix to get the Canucks playing hard and with some fight but I don't know enough about his actual systems.

Anyone care to shed some knowledge?

But the important thing here is the you named some of the coaches that the board here thinks outcoached AV so then doesn't that really mean we are all on the same page?

You especially liked the way AV handled the Hansen Hossa incident?

He said he had a little chuckle.

I think it would have been better for a coach to lambaste the NHL and its ruling because that was a brutal call.

If I was Hansen and I got suspended for something ridiculous, I would rather have my coach tear a strip off Shanny and the NHL rather than "having a little chuckle"

Some posts here are ridiculous.

People have such unreasonably high expectations.

Coaches. First to get the blame, last to get the credit.

NHL coaches are either above average, average, or below average.

AV is without a doubt above average, perhaps one of the best in the league.

But there are alot of good coaches in the league.

DeBoer, Babcock, Quenville, Trotz, Tippett, Bylsma, Boucher, Laviolette, Carlyle...

Some people feel AV simply is simply a good coach, coaching a great team.

I disagree.

I think we have a great coach, coaching a good to great team.

IMO AV has gotten more out of the team, than the sum of its parts.

Look hard at this team...how talented are we?

How did THIS team win two presidents trophies in a row?

This team is built on the Sedins and Luongo/Schneider.

We have 3 legitimate scoring threats up front (Sedins and Kesler), or 2 that can produce on their own.

We have no #1 defenceman.

This team has been the class of the league for sometime, even though you wonder why sometimes.

Archived