The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

does the canucks management kinda disrespect their players?

billabong

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So which team is it that wants to trade for Manny? Would love to know. The Canucks are paying him to not play. Who would pay the salary he is getting even without coughing up a player? Think man, if someone wanted him for free do you think the Canucks would say no!!!

I have to agree and disagree with some points.

Yes the Canucks treat their players like a commodity and run it as a business. but as a fan, I prefer that. The biggest recipe in a declining team is falling in love with your team to the point you are keeping them past their expiry.

Thats what happened with the Canucks during the Pat Quinn era which led to the dark years.

After the 94 run, we kept our players when we should have looked to upgrade.

I like how MG is constantly evaluating his team and making changes.

I have to admit some of his moves havent panned out but i would rather have a GM constantly looking to improve (even if that means treating a player like a commodity) rather than being emotionally tied and invested to a player where we keep them despite their lack of production.

I think mg was super classy with Malhotra, whats more disrespectful? Benching Malhotra game after game or being straight with him about his play. Manny was still great on faceoffs but you could clearly see that he fumbles the puck a lot and couldn't keep up with the play.

With Ballard, there was no need to find him a home, he is home and playing well this season (with tanev)

With Luongo or Schneider, what would you have mg do? act in the best interest of the players? or try and get the best deal for the team?

I think respecting players is the least of canucks management problems

Naslund situation was disheartening.

Ohlund, for sure didn't get much respect.

You could tell in their future interviews that they were basically snubbed.

Salo may have been another, but I don't recall.

Cody... well let's not get into that.

Burke/Nonis not invited to Naslund's retirement ceremony...

The list goes on.

These players get treated unbelievably well on this team. I don't think they're being disrespected at all.

Gillis made a tough decision that he believed to be the right one. You've gotta respect him for that. And I'm sure he knew he would take some heat for it, which makes it that much more respectable.

He makes decisions based on what he believes to be right for the team as a whole. Sometimes they're not always the right ones, but he seems to always have the teams best interest at heart.

Gillis takes calculated risks

obviously there are variables out there that are out of his control

ie. Kesler breaking his foot

I have no doubt that putting Manny on IR was very hard to do - but Gillis is trying do do what's best for the team.

It was a business move, but also a 'I care about this person' type of move - its whatever you like to spin it. It looks bad now obviously..

- getting Kes back playing was NB - you just can't predict a broken foot

- allowing Schroeder a chance to develop

- moulding the team for longterm (Kassian, Schneider, etc)

- adding character guys that provide the intangibles to the locker room

Gillis is methodical, calculated, and precise (along with the brass - especially Gillman).

this of course does not bode well with Canucks fans...sh*t goes wrong our response is blow up the team. Trade everyone like its EA Sports NHL video game! Ha come on!

He evaluates, but that doesn't mean its risk free.

Having his job would be stressful.

I have also felt the same way. The canucks don't give a damn about their players unless it's part of the core - aka Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa, Kesler.

They won't touch those players, but everyone else is expendable. The reason is because MG plays money ball. He looks at stats, looks at +/-, looks at cap hit etc. His stats don't go past the number. This is the reason why players who sign or get traded here don't pan out. Unless they are specific to what the coach wants. There is little thought given in chemistry, how the players mesh with each other, and other intangibles. All those go out the window with money ball. Oh, they also low ball their players in the hopes of selling them to a cup.

And as long as they continue to do this, teams will be weary to come here. Prime example, look at how Samuellson was treated. All of a sudden, BOOM you are traded. Salo, despite the injuries and all those years of service, would have helped out tremendously, but he didn't get resigned. Torres was a great energy player, and one who sparks up a team, didn't get resigned. They tried to lowball him with little money and only a 1 year contract. We all know what happened to Hodgson and Ehroff.

So to answer your poll question, the canucks really do mean business when it comes to their players.

You didn't even answer the question. Everything you answered with was NOT a declaration that Schneider is the number 1...it's just actions that the media may or may not have blown out of proportion.

As AV stated, Schneider started in the playoffs because he felt that a change in the team could shift the momentum towards the Canucks. Take it for what it's worth.

Next, I guess paying someone a lot of money makes them a top player now eh? So Ville Leino who makes $4 million a season is now considered a top second line player in the league. Michael Rozival makes $5 million so he is now a premier #1 defenceman in the league. Wisniewski at $5.5 million must be a top defenceman as well. Might as well include Bryzgalov who is being paid $14 million in the next two seasons on a contending team...Being paid a lot of money is not an indicator of skill level.

Finally, if MG really trusted Schneider as number 1 he definitely would have traded Luongo already. He said that there was a trade in place but he didn't want to take an additional player (I assume a cap dump) which is bs. Who are the Aquillinis? They agreed two pay Steven Reinpretch $2 million to play in the minors I'm sure they will accept another cap dump.

So why is Luongo still here? Because MG doesn't trust Schneider can handle the number 1 yet so he needs insurance in case Schneider crumbles under the pressure.

Archived