Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

Does Michael Gillis have any credibility?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lemieux

Lemieux

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

POPULAR

This guy is quite incompetent to say the least. He has given or acquired big contracts like Ballard's, Garrison's, Sundin's, Luongo's to name a few, while giving up top talent for the likes of Zack Kassian and other spare parts. David Booth is not any better than Steve Bernier.

When this guy says he is "close" to trading Luongo, it's merely a futile attempt at pumping his stock. He has been reaping the rewards from the pieces that the previous regimes have gathered, and he is getting credit for every single bit of it. I do give him some credit for signing Hamhuis, but that's pretty much the only move that's significant in any way.

Today you hear the news about how he wanted to clear away Malhotra's roster spot for "his own health". What horrible excuse! If he had cared so much about Malhotra, he should not even have played him in the 2011 playoffs and last year! What hypocrite!

Top Pieces from previous regimes:
Luongo, Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa

Top Piece from Gillian regime:
Hamhuis
This signature is not blank.

#2 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Michael, I lol'd
Also, a top talent for the likes of Zach Kassian, that maybe the worst statement I've read in the past 5 months.
Also,
Erhoff,
Torres,
Malhotra,
Higgins,
Lapierre,
Samuelsson.
were all great moves.

Edited by Machine Gun Kelly, 27 February 2013 - 09:50 PM.

Posted Image

#3 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#4 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

POPULAR

The only thing worse than a Canucks loss, are the threads following a Canucks loss

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#5 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,322 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

He loses all credibility if Malhotra actually dresses. Until then, he's okay. But all eyes are on him right now. I'm expecting hockey writers to blast him real soon.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#6 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

This guy is quite incompetent to say the least. He has given or acquired big contracts like Ballard's, Garrison's, Sundin's, Luongo's to name a few, while giving up top talent for the likes of Zack Kassian and other spare parts. David Booth is not any better than Steve Bernier.

When this guy says he is "close" to trading Luongo, it's merely a futile attempt at pumping his stock. He has been reaping the rewards from the pieces that the previous regimes have gathered, and he is getting credit for every single bit of it. I do give him some credit for signing Hamhuis, but that's pretty much the only move that's significant in any way.

Today you hear the news about how he wanted to clear away Malhotra's roster spot for "his own health". What horrible excuse! If he had cared so much about Malhotra, he should not even have played him in the 2011 playoffs and last year! What hypocrite!

Top Pieces from previous regimes:
Luongo, Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa

Top Piece from Gillian regime:
Hamhuis

I like MG. He knows how to exploit rules to give Canucks a competitive advantage and we need someone shrewd like that running this organization. I think people are right to question his motives but at the end of the day, he does these things to win which is what I care about.

Lets look back at some questionable moves

Salo was on IR forever after Marchand undercut him.
I truly believe Salo could have come back earlier but due to our salary cap, he had to stay on LTIR.
All of a sudden Edler needs a minor back surgery in the middle of the season and then Salo miraculously recovers and is taken off LTIR
Edler is then put on LTIR until reg season ends and he's back in time for playoffs

We have now seen the same thing with Manny
He's playing but then kesler comes back and now we put Manny on LTIR

MG is shady but I like the fact that he exploits the rules to give this team a competitive advantage.

#7 miles.p

miles.p

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

The only thing worse than a Canucks loss, are the threads following a Canucks loss

What's even more worse is that the fans are not able to voice their displeasure at all because of people like you. You might be happy with the team's performance. Good for you, if you like mediocre play and same old dumping the puck at centre ice and chasing hockey-style. But not everyone does.

#8 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

well at least he has a lot more credibility than you. david booth not any better than steve bernier hilarious im glad you arent evaluating talent for a hockey team.

I cant believe people still complain about sundin he was PPG in the playoffs, what more did you want from the guy?

#9 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

oh yea bro..... it goes on and on... Mike Gillis gets blamed, the coaching staff????? The scouts??? All of a sudden you have individual players getting blamed, unreal. Canucks.com I hope mods don't give me violation points. I'm gonna unleash hell on the idiots that say stupid stuff. MIke Gillis is one of the best gms on the planet. Glad to have him. Right now things are not looking great nor bad, but I trust his judgement.

I cant believe people still complain about sundin he was PPG in the playoffs, what more did you want from the guy?

Because of Mats Sundin, the

Sedins,
Kesler,
Burrows, and a few other players became better players.

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord, 27 February 2013 - 09:56 PM.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#10 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

What's even more worse is that the fans are not able to voice their displeasure at all because of people like you. You might be happy with the team's performance. Good for you, if you like mediocre play and same old dumping the puck at centre ice and chasing hockey-style. But not everyone does.

I'm not saying you can't voice your displeasure.

But I've already seen several threads voicing displeasures about MG/AV/Assistant Coaches/Garrisson/A Goalie, and even one hating on Lappy.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#11 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

yeah i hear its a great strategy to try and carry the puck over the blueline against a 1-4 man trap - i hear it works extremely well! Surely even you have figured out by now that you have to tailor how you play to WHO you play, good luck with free flowing hockey against nashville/phoenix/stlouis.

Team has played mediocre that is for sure, but vancouver fans are spoiled go watch the flames play for a week you will have a new appreciation for this team.

#12 Power Fist

Power Fist

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

He strikes me as kinda skeevy. Like he's that dirty slobby bad guy in that last movie YOU JUST WATCHED!

But past the exterior he has done a pretty professional job of managing this team.

Really it's been very good.

Alot better then I would have expected and he has a food I mean good relationship with the other Gm's. Probably the most important piece of being a GM is what other teams and GM's think of you.

Just my humble opinion

Edited by Power Fist, 27 February 2013 - 10:03 PM.

2008.jpg

Linden and Benning. I have Faith

#13 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,724 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

This thread sucks.

#14 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

MG does have credibility, c'mon, the guy is a class act for the most part, ive been a broken record for years now tho and i am sick of this team not having a pair of bonafide enforcers.
At this point , MG is forced to make a career defining blockbuster trade in my opinion if hes serious about trying to win a cup.
If he doesn't make some big hard decisions, hurting feelings in the process and stay's with the status quo roster i fear this team will be gone in 4-5 games first round.
MG has credibility now but he won't if he sits idly by while this team wallows in mediocrity and inconsistent efforts. a lack of effort for 60 minutes is the teams biggest weakness. He needs to shake things up, the core isnt motivating the room, the coaching staff isnt either, if summer arrives , first round exit, no roster changes i will be calling for his resignation with much of the fan base. tough year, half season no prep,big stakes for AV and MG and our goalies this season.
For now, i have faith in MG, lets talk in a few months.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#15 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

He's a GM and former player agent, so yes he has credibility. At least miles more than anyone on this forum.

#16 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,917 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.