#1 fanfor42

fanfor42

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

Some numbers on David Booth:

Career NHL stats Games 369; Goals 103; Assists 93; Pts 196; plus/minus -8.

Games played per season since joining NHL full time:

73/82 07/08
72/82 08/09
28/82 09/10
82/82 10/11
62/82 11/12
4/19 12/13

Total 321/429 = 74.8%

Ok so he has 196 points out of 369 NHL games. Thats .531 points per game.
He has played in 74.8% of games since moving to the NHL full time.

What do these numbers mean? Is he a keeper or a bust?

#2 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,522 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

Anyone who's played over 300 NHL games can't be a bust.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#3 RiCHC3

RiCHC3

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

Think we've all realized that being in Florida can artificially inflate or deflate numbers.

With that said, I like Booth as a player and his skill set. I don't think he has the right type of linemates that can set him up though, and I don't consider him a gifted playmaker / passer.

#4 37yrsncounting

37yrsncounting

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

POPULAR

It means he's suppose to be better than steve bernier

#5 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

When he's on..he's almost unstoppable..a very strong power forward.Due to injuries..he's not been very noticeable.With Kesler out,he has to turn up his intensity big time?

#6 c00kies

c00kies

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

POPULAR

When he's on..he's almost unstoppable..a very strong power forward.Due to injuries..he's not been very noticeable.With Kesler out,he has to turn up his intensity big time?

I think he'll benefit from playing with passers, such as Schroeder.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#7 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

Yes now that Kesler is out, the second and third lines can get back to where they were...Booth is going to excel. I see good things with him. I really t hink that Kesler hinders a lot of his teammates play. Nobody can play with the guy. Yes he is good, but hes so over rated ...I am kind of glad that Kesler is injured again...Sorry, I had to say it.
Life is short, LIVE IT

#8 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,245 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

Some numbers on David Booth:

Career NHL stats Games 369; Goals 103; Assists 93; Pts 196; plus/minus -8.

Games played per season since joining NHL full time:

73/82 07/08
72/82 08/09
28/82 09/10
82/82 10/11
62/82 11/12
4/19 12/13

Total 321/429 = 74.8%

Ok so he has 196 points out of 369 NHL games. Thats .531 points per game.
He has played in 74.8% of games since moving to the NHL full time.

What do these numbers mean? Is he a keeper or a bust?

I don't think you're understanding what a bust is.

As a hockey player, he's not a bust at all. Late second-round pick, decent numbers, and in his prime. No way.

As a re-signing for Florida, yes. He didn't play up to his new contract that well and so he got traded here. As a Vancouver trade, ABSOLUTE BUST. He is not a keeper on THIS team. I don't know why you're looking at all his past numbers.

Same thing with Ballard and Garrison. For what we paid (in players and money), both of them have been busts on THIS team.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#9 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,752 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

Put him with Schroeder and Raymond or Higgins and then see what he can do.

They tried to force him to have chemistry with Kesler and it just wasn't working. Booth needs someone who can dish him the puck as he's driving to the net. Schroeder can do that.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#10 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

Anyone who's played over 300 NHL games can't be a bust.

Scott Gomez had 900 games and counting last I checked. I think there's a middle ground. While I agree being around in the NHL a long time typically indicates someone has skill, there's certainly the cases where certain players are awesome for a few years then fall off the map.

So far from David Booth since his last injury, that has been the case unfortunately. I'm getting fairly impatient with this guy, and I wouldn't mind trading him away at some point if he doesn't step it up soon. He always seems to be injured or 'just getting back into the swing of things'--he had one stint where he had OKAY 2nd line points, but he certainly hasn't been the 30 goal scorer we signed up for.

#11 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

I think he'll benefit from playing with passers, such as Schroeder.

If AV does. I have a feeling he'll end up with Ebbett

g3HKFnX.png

#12 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

People forget he had 12 points in 15 games before the injury last year.

Give him time, he has shown when he is at his best he can be a very useful player, I already like what I have seen, AV just needs to get him in the top 6.

zackass.png

#13 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

Give him time, he has shown when he is at his best he can be a very useful player, I already like what I have seen, AV just needs to get him in the top 6.

That's my problem, I feel like we've been giving him time for ages. He had one good minor stint. I have yet to see someone putting up serious goals :/

It seems like he has 0 hands and 0 finish, and just has good speed / drive to the net. After that, nothing seems to happen.

#14 yete

yete

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

David booth has had his chance at making an impact .....

this year David Booth has not been close to what he needs to be...

give him more time until i can judge him but i will say from last yrs playoff performance im not 1 bit impressed with this guy...

#15 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

That's my problem, I feel like we've been giving him time for ages. He had one good minor stint. I have yet to see someone putting up serious goals :/

It seems like he has 0 hands and 0 finish, and just has good speed / drive to the net. After that, nothing seems to happen.

I don't, I feel like we haven't given him enough time. He is playing well now and was playing well when he was adjusted to this team.

He has speed, power, is fearless, has a better shot then we have seen IMO, and I disagree on the hands. I think he has solid hands and moves to go along with his speed and power. He is also has been more physical than we saw last year which is something I like.

Just hoping AV starts playing in him the top 6 and giving him more minutes, cause if he keeps doing the right things the points will come.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 28 February 2013 - 01:35 AM.

zackass.png

#16 Dr.Awesome

Dr.Awesome

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

I like him playing with Schroeder and Raymond. He adds an element of physicality to that pairing similar to what was gotten with hansen but has better offensive instincts and allows hansen to play the defensive role he is more suited to, if he was making 2 mil this wouldnt be a conversation, give him time tho to get back at it. He needs to find a rythme and when Schroeder and Raymond start putting up points you can expect to see booth contributing in someway or another. Those three make a very dangerous thirdline

#17 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

I don't, I feel like we haven't given him enough time. He is playing well now and was playing well when he was adjusted to this team.

He has speed, power, is fearless, has a better shot then we have seen IMO, and I disagree on the hands. I think he has solid hands and moves to go along with his speed and power. He is also has been more physical than we saw last year which is something I like.

Just hoping AV starts playing in him the top 6 and giving him more minutes, cause he is keeps doing the right things the points will come.

I hope you're right! I don't see it so far.

#18 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,044 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

First of all, 0.53 p.p.g. is second-liner in the NHL. Far from a bust overall in his career.

Secondly, agreed with above that pairing him with Kes is not giving him a fair shot, since all of those have been taken by Ryan already. Guys like Raymond and Schroeder would probably be better fits as line-mates, as they tend to pass more and don't play as close to the net, while Booth can pounce on rebounds from their shots and score while also playing closer to the opponent's net due to his size.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#19 canucksnhl

canucksnhl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

I wouldn't judge him based on his stats since he was traded here until he plays a full season with us. When 100% he's pretty great. AV should give him a few shifts with the Sedins and see how that goes.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#20 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,952 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

Scott Gomez had 900 games and counting last I checked. I think there's a middle ground. While I agree being around in the NHL a long time typically indicates someone has skill, there's certainly the cases where certain players are awesome for a few years then fall off the map.

So far from David Booth since his last injury, that has been the case unfortunately. I'm getting fairly impatient with this guy, and I wouldn't mind trading him away at some point if he doesn't step it up soon. He always seems to be injured or 'just getting back into the swing of things'--he had one stint where he had OKAY 2nd line points, but he certainly hasn't been the 30 goal scorer we signed up for.

Pretty high expectations for a 2nd line player.
Posted Image

#21 Kryten

Kryten

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

I've been pleased with Booth's return so far. Guy has been throwing big hits and driving the net, what we need out of our power forwards. Give him some time and the points will come.
Posted Image

#22 Clonedanielsedin

Clonedanielsedin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:04 AM

Canucks are still a winning team, after two losses its hilarious to see all the panic.

#23 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,392 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

Yeah, but in the ten games leading into the playoffs he had 1 point. And then he had another point in his 5 playoff games.

In Feb, he went 7 games while registering 1 point, and finished with 3 goals that entire month (14 games).

He went 5 games without scoring earlier in the year, too.

Anyway, not trying to rain on your optimistic parade and be Debbie Downsyndrome here, but the problem with the Canucks (for me) is consistency. And Booth has done his best to prove to the Canucks faithful that he's anything but consistent, IMO.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#24 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:17 AM

Pretty high expectations for a 2nd line player.

Yeah, I agree my expectations are and have always been 15-20+ goals 40-50 points, I won't argue he's overpaid a bit but I wouldn't hit the panic button on him yet.

Edited by canuck73_3, 28 February 2013 - 04:18 AM.

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#25 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:48 AM

We traded scraps to get him. People shouldn't expect him to be a bonafide 30 goal scorer.
You don't get those for next to nothing.

He is capable of putting up decent offensive numbers, but needs the right linemates to be at best.
Needs to get going this year.

He's NOT a core player.
He doesn't make his linemates better.
Doesn't have high hockey IQ, but has enough skills to be successful.

That said, it was a good acquisition. Slightly overpaid, but comparable to what some pay in FA.
Still, you make that trade without question.

#26 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

Put him with Schroeder and Raymond or Higgins and then see what he can do.

They tried to force him to have chemistry with Kesler and it just wasn't working. Booth needs someone who can dish him the puck as he's driving to the net. Schroeder can do that.

Well part of the problem with Booth DN is he never wants to pass to his centre in the first place. He constantly gets caught battling along the boards. This is a coaching problem and it needs to be sorted.

Anytime he passes, particularly to Raymond, who is quick, he stops him in his tracks because he doesn't seem to allow for the other man's movement.............contrast that with how Schroeder/Raymond/ Hansen pass to each other.
Kevin.jpg

#27 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

This should be his last chance, I would trade him for anything at the end of the season, or simply buy him out.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#28 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

I really like the way booth plays and his 23 goal pace last year is decent for a second line player who had multiple injuries and wad adjusting to a new team.

This year in limited minutes he posted 10 hits over his first 2 games.

Booth is a keeper but of these injuries pursist there may be a point where we buy him out
Sig too big.

#29 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

:picard: So sad.

Why is this even a thread after he has been back for 5 games at most? Give it a rest already. Just like any player his worth will be determined in the playoffs and from the looks of it he will do just fine.
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#30 Ihatetomatoes

Ihatetomatoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Gillis needs to stop trading with the Panthers....Not one of these deals has worked out well. We have 12 Million tied up in ex panther players that really don't do much other than supporting roles.
Its hard to care when you don't

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.