92 replies to this topic

#31 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,037 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Scott Gomez had 900 games and counting last I checked. I think there's a middle ground. While I agree being around in the NHL a long time typically indicates someone has skill, there's certainly the cases where certain players are awesome for a few years then fall off the map.

So far from David Booth since his last injury, that has been the case unfortunately. I'm getting fairly impatient with this guy, and I wouldn't mind trading him away at some point if he doesn't step it up soon. He always seems to be injured or 'just getting back into the swing of things'--he had one stint where he had OKAY 2nd line points, but he certainly hasn't been the 30 goal scorer we signed up for.

And because he's bad now all his 50-80 point seasons, NHL Rookie of the Year, 2 NHL All Star appearances and 2 Stanley Cup wins are all just invalid? I'm not sure you understand what a bust is.

If you're projecting him to be something but he doesn't achieve that, it doesn't mean he's had NHL level success, or won't have it in future.

People forget he had 12 points in 15 games before the injury last year.

Give him time, he has shown when he is at his best he can be a very useful player, I already like what I have seen, AV just needs to get him in the top 6.

He and Kesler do need a better playmaker to fit in with them so they can utilize their shots off the rush. I was really interested in seeing if Schroeder would fit there, but since we had no other centers to use in the bottom six (besides Lapierre) we didn't have the opportunity to.

Instead of going after Weiss, I could also see this as an opportunity to go after a better option as a 3rd line center to work with Lapierre defensively while still being able to contribute a bit more offensively. It's a little different option, and we'd have to use a line like Booth/Schroeder/Kassian in more offensive minutes, taking away from the Sedins, but could be an affordable way (top 6 more expensive than bottom 6) to fill the gap.

We have to use our young players sometime right? Why not now in a shortened season?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 ALTtimegreat

ALTtimegreat

Comets Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

raymond is more useful than booth and i'm not even a big raymond fan especially when its the playoffs.

trade booth and clear cap space.

#33 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

raymond is more useful than booth and i'm not even a big raymond fan especially when its the playoffs.

And how exactly does this improve us now? At best you're getting a player like Booth or a draft pick neither helps us now...

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#34 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Why wait 4 games or a half season to make a judgement?
Booth's play in Vancouver was a disappoitment before he arrived here.

#35 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

He's an improvement over Samuelsson and Sturm.

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#36 canidiot

canidiot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

i think booth is a poor fit with any of the "speed line". he is a step too slow for them. not that slowing down the play is wrong.

he does not think at the speed of the twins either. very few do.

his best fit would be with kass, kes, higgins or lappy. we need to match players with others that play at their comfort zone for pace. otherwise plays get broken up due to clumbsy timing.

i think booth could light it up if he found his lineup that suits him.

#37 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Yeah! ....Until he scores a game winner, and then he'll be the best player of the season.

....Until he makes a mistake and then he'll be back to disappointing us before we even knew him.

Seriously, this forum should come with air bags for all of those sudden turn abouts, shouldn't it?

Edited by poetica, 28 February 2013 - 12:30 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#38 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,270 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Yeah, but in the ten games leading into the playoffs he had 1 point. And then he had another point in his 5 playoff games.

In Feb, he went 7 games while registering 1 point, and finished with 3 goals that entire month (14 games).

He went 5 games without scoring earlier in the year, too.

Anyway, not trying to rain on your optimistic parade and be Debbie Downsyndrome here, but the problem with the Canucks (for me) is consistency. And Booth has done his best to prove to the Canucks faithful that he's anything but consistent, IMO.

Yeah he has had his down stretches no doubt.

My point was once he got adjusted he was playing like the player he can be, then he suffered a setback and was never the same.

although for the record, I thought he was good in the playoffs. He didn't produce but no body did, although unlike most, he was battling, being physical and looked alot better than most of the team.

zackass.png

#39 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,270 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

He and Kesler do need a better playmaker to fit in with them so they can utilize their shots off the rush. I was really interested in seeing if Schroeder would fit there, but since we had no other centers to use in the bottom six (besides Lapierre) we didn't have the opportunity to.

Instead of going after Weiss, I could also see this as an opportunity to go after a better option as a 3rd line center to work with Lapierre defensively while still being able to contribute a bit more offensively. It's a little different option, and we'd have to use a line like Booth/Schroeder/Kassian in more offensive minutes, taking away from the Sedins, but could be an affordable way (top 6 more expensive than bottom 6) to fill the gap.

We have to use our young players sometime right? Why not now in a shortened season?

Yeah grabbing a third line center would be nice, then we could give Schroeder a shot and see what he can do. although I would like to see Kassian there, his playmaking ability is underrated IMO, and he brings size, grit and power. Just like Kesler and Booth do.

But yeah I think a two-way 3rd line center would be great, a 2nd/3rd line tweener type of guy, someone along the lines of a Vermette or a Bozak, or whoever. Someone of that elk would be great.

zackass.png

#40 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,037 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Yeah grabbing a third line center would be nice, then we could give Schroeder a shot and see what he can do. although I would like to see Kassian there, his playmaking ability is underrated IMO, and he brings size, grit and power. Just like Kesler and Booth do.

But yeah I think a two-way 3rd line center would be great, a 2nd/3rd line tweener type of guy, someone along the lines of a Vermette or a Bozak, or whoever. Someone of that elk would be great.

Posted Image

Sign him up MG!

But seriously, it could be a good alternate deal to looking for an expensive top 6 guy. I don't think Bozak would work though. as the Leafs won't move him without a more significant return than I'd want to give up for a 2nd/3rd line tweener. Vermette, maybe but what to get him?

If it weren't for the bad blood, someone like Dominic Moore would be ideal. I can't even think of others right now that'd fit in or who I'd want to go after, but there might be options around that are more affordable to help us this year and then we can use a goalie trade for younger assets and look at dealing from a cap perspective after the season.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#41 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Booth has joined the Canucks for 2 years now...and we still not sure if he is a bust or not.....that means we have an answer already!

#42 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,037 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

Booth has joined the Canucks for 2 years now...and we still not sure if he is a bust or not.....that means we have an answer already!

Well, we have an answer about you, but we can't trade you away.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#43 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

i was happy we traded for him although sad we had to give up our most experienced playoff proven only stanley cup winner in samuelsson.

He has be hampered by injuries, I hope he sees top 6 min again soon, too bad Kesler got hurt again.

But since we acquired him I was really hoping he would have been given a chance to play with the twins. We know Burrows can play with Kesler.

Unfortunately I cant see our current coach making a move like that and giving him an opportunity to play with the twins, and even if he did Booth would be on a short leash and one bad turn over or play and he would get exhiled and never given a shot again. This really irks me about AV

#44 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

Booth is a bust. Trade him to Calgary for glen cross and jackman

#45 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

sarcasm

Yeah! ....Until he scores a game winner, and then he'll be the best player of the season.

....Until he makes a mistake and then he'll be back to disappointing us before we even knew him.

Seriously, this forum should come with air bags for all of those sudden turn abouts, shouldn't it?

precisely. well put!

#46 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

Even though Booth is inconsistent, he always plays the body hard, something most of our other forwards barely do.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#47 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Booth is literally poo poo on a stick.

#48 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Even though Booth is inconsistent, he always plays the body hard, something most of our other forwards barely do.

always ?

havent seen that in a few games, mr invisible. we need Booth in beast mode, maybe if we convince him the other team are devils

Edited by DaMacNamedDre, 03 March 2013 - 09:45 PM.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#49 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

Booth will be bought out for sure after this season. He just isn't a impact player but is paid like one.

Mike Gillis hasn't brought in any impact forward yet.

Higgins is probably the best offensive forward brought in under the
Gillis regime and that is kind of sad. He drafted one in Hodgson but when all know what happened there.

Gillis is a failure as a GM and can't live off the laurels of the Burke and Nonis regime any longer. The Canucks really should bring back Burke. He isn't perfect (Kessel move was the pits) but he has a better understanding of talent than Gillis. The Leafs are a team he put together but ironically the talent he assembled is only gelling now that he is gone. he won't be out of work for long though. I'm just not sure he would work with our owenership group. The Aquliini's are really slimy people.

Edited by gradin123, 03 March 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#50 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,442 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

Does anyone seriously have confidence David Booth is going to provide any secondary scoring for us on a somewhat consistent basics? I sure as hell don't. I think we see him shopped this summer or bought out.

#51 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

It has been 2 seasons since Booth joined us, we are still waiting for his consistent secondary scoring he is suppose to provide us....lol

#52 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,864 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

imagine what we could have used the $$$ on booth, ballard and luongo..

#53 CaNANDian

CaNANDian

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

Samuelsson was at least consistent when it came to points, he got 50+ both years he was here. He could also play with the Sedins and actually get points with them.

Booth is just a bigger version of Raymond from the last 3 years (not including this year where he's been good).

Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.

-- Christopher Hitchens

@CaNANDian

#54 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

nobody will take him, same as ballard, you can't give away those guys

#55 Hamhuis2

Hamhuis2

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

Try Booth out with the seasons for at least 3-5 games! Although Booth is not a gifted finisher, he can still pot in 20+ goals in a healthy year. If we've tried guys like Hansen and Lapierre with them, guys with worse hands than Booth, and they can manage to produce at a decent level, why not try a guy who has been a proven 2nd liner in his career. He had his best success with Weiss in Florida, a great passer, so play him with Hank and let's see how he does.
Chicago Blackhawks NHL 14 OCDC League 2013/2014

J. Schultz(81)-Toews(92)-Pacioretty(88)....Keith(90)-Phaneuf(87)................Crawford(86)
Burns(87)-Kadri(85)-Yakupov(83)..............Hjalmarson(85)-N. Schultz(84)....Khabby(76)
Clarkson(83)-Zibanejad(80)-Ennis(82).......Koska(78)-Murray(83)
Kobasew(78)-Hanszus(79)-Morin(76)

#56 CptCanuck16

CptCanuck16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

So far the guy's put up 30 points in 62 games as a Canuck. Not too shabby but not $4.25 million dollars worth either. When compared to Raymond, Higgins, and Hansen that all make $2.25M or less it should be obvious he is getting paid way too much for his contribution. He has two more years left on his contract. I'd say either renegotiate that down to $3.0M in the off season or deal him.

#57 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

So far the guy's put up 30 points in 62 games as a Canuck. Not too shabby but not $4.25 million dollars worth either. When compared to Raymond, Higgins, and Hansen that all make $2.25M or less it should be obvious he is getting paid way too much for his contribution. He has two more years left on his contract. I'd say either renegotiate that down to $3.0M in the off season or deal him.

Yeah no. This isn't football. Players have guaranteed contracts and can't negotiate them down. Under the new CBA though the Canucks can buyout 2 players at the end of the season. Booth will still get his money it just won't count against the Canucks cap.

#58 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:44 AM

He'll be bought out at the end of the season. This isn't rocket science. He's gone.

#59 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:21 AM

Booth was one of the better Canucks tonight against Calgary.

#60 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:37 AM

Booth was a beast tonight.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.