116 replies to this topic

#1 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

As per multiple Twitters, I'm on mobile.

Jesus Christ

#2 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Vancouver Canucks@VanCanucks
Malhotra speaks with the media for the first time since his announcement. http://instagr.am/p/WP4RK9NOAK/

"As a player, you miss being part of it." - Malhotra

"Being part of this organization and helping out in any way I can is the best option." - Malhotra

"Coaching aspect is something that is interesting, but I'll have to take a long look at it." - Malhotra

"Being here and playing in #Vancouver is like being part of a family". - Malhotra

Edited by poetica, 27 February 2013 - 01:45 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#3 terrible.dee

terrible.dee

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Anouncing retirement and new job?

#4 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Sekeres on Team 1040 just said that Manny is speaking now and said that he wants to play hockey and that he STRONGLY disagrees with Mike Gillis' decision to put him on injured reserve.

I don't think I've ever seen something like this. Potentially a huge embarrassment for this team...the decision I mean. Manny is all class.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#5 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,985 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Anouncing retirement and new job?

The first one. He'll hang around with the team though. Practices and stuff. He can still teach Schroeder face offs for example, teach/remind the guys about penalty killing, defensive awareness in general.
Posted Image

#6 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Sekeres on Team 1040 just said that Manny is speaking now and said that he wants to play hockey and that he STRONGLY disagrees with Mike Gillis' decision to put him on injured reserve.

I don't think I've ever seen something like this. Potentially a huge embarrassment for this team...the decision I mean. Manny is all class.

how is it embarressing?

he couldnt play anymore and how many teams would give a player an opportunity to stay with there organization when theyve only been here 3 years

other teams would have traded him for a 5th round pick

Edited by cIutch, 27 February 2013 - 01:52 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

I'm really starting to feel like our GM MG just pushed one of the classiest guys in the NHL to an early retirement. Has this ever happened before where a player retired on the decision by the team? Uggh, starting to think the organization needs a real shakeup. Sorry, just can't help sometimes feeling that way.

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#8 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

how is it embarressing?

he couldnt play anymore and how many teams would give a player an opportunity to stay with there organization when theyve only been here 3 years

other teams would have traded him for a 5th round pick

That the decision to put him on injured reserve might have been based more on roster issues (ie Kes coming back) than injury issues or the team being concerned for his safety. I mean, there were already discussions about him practicing with the team today to possibly fill Volpatti's now vacant spot. That wouldn't look good on the team. Especially if he continues to be vocal about being out.

Edited by MJDDawg, 27 February 2013 - 02:01 PM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#9 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Dan Murphy@sportsnetmurph
Malhotra wouldn't say he asked for a trade when Gillis shut him down but he also told me he wanted to keep playing so read between the lines

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#10 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Murph said Manny implied he asked for a trade and Gillis said no.

#11 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

^^ That the decision to put him on injured reserve might have been based more on roster issues (ie Kes coming back) than injury issues or the team being concerned for his safety. I mean, there were already discussions about him practicing with the team today to possibly fill Volpatti's now vacant spot. That wouldn't look good on the team.

Just because people here said it doesn't mean it was ever going to be true. First, MG already said Manny was out for the season & postseason but would be welcome to practice with them any time he wanted. AV said he might ask Manny to train the forewards in faceoffs. So, him being at practice had nothing to do with any roster spot. Second, I doubt the media thing was a last minute decision. I'm sure he planned to talk to the media today and he wouldn't have done that if he thought there was a chance he was coming back. Third, the NHL signed off on him being put on the injured list because they felt the Canucks did in fact have a valid reason for fearing for his safety. When has the NHL ever done us any favors?
Go, Canucks, Go!

#12 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

That the decision to put him on injured reserve might have been based more on roster issues (ie Kes coming back) than injury issues or the team being concerned for his safety. I mean, there were already discussions about him practicing with the team today to possibly fill Volpatti's now vacant spot. That wouldn't look good on the team. Especially if he continues to be vocal about being out.

I said this the day MG announced Manny was done. It was such a shady move. I mean all of a sudden MG cared about Manny's health right when Kesler was set to return? C'MON people...This move was made only to make room for Kesler, such a scumbag move. Does MG think the fans are stupid?? How can a GM tell a player he's done when the player himself feels he can still play? I've never liked MG and this only makes me dislike him even more. CDC overrates this douchebag big time

#13 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Just because people here said it doesn't mean it was ever going to be true. First, MG already said Manny was out for the season & postseason but would be welcome to practice with them any time he wanted. AV said he might ask Manny to train the forewards in faceoffs. So, him being at practice had nothing to do with any roster spot. Second, I doubt the media thing was a last minute decision. I'm sure he planned to talk to the media today and he wouldn't have done that if he thought there was a chance he was coming back. Third, the NHL signed off on him being put on the injured list because they felt the Canucks did in fact have a valid reason for fearing for his safety. When has the NHL ever done us any favors?

I didn't say the rumours were true. And yes the plan was to let Manny train with the team but he has not practiced with the team for a while. Suddenly he's at practice today and Volpatti is put on waivers. People can and will speculate.

1zchaix.jpg

#14 Truckin

Truckin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

The guy needed time to take it in that his career was done. Its totally understandable that he thinks he still has a shot at playing and I hope he does just not with the Canucks.

Think people are reading to much into him not being traded as well. He wants to be a Canuck firstly,if he cant have that he would have preffered to play. So who is to say the Canucks didnt make some calls? We wont know and if they did and people around the league said "Hell NO" how does that help Manny get better! They are protecting him and helping him adjust. Anger is always the first emotion you experience with a set back at this level.

#15 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Manny will get a contract this off season from a team for sure....and I am willing to say he will be so motivated to get back to himself.

I can see a team that is a potential contender sign Manny for the same reasons we did, faceoff's and his defensive play.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#16 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

I didn't say the rumours were true. And yes the plan was to let Manny train with the team but he has not practiced with the team for a while. Suddenly he's at practice today and Volpatti is put on waivers. People can and will speculate.

They've been on the road, so they haven't had many practices at home recently but, Manny joined a practice with the goalies and scratches just 10 days ago. (Source)
Go, Canucks, Go!

#17 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

POPULAR

I'm really starting to question my fan hood.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#18 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

POPULAR

I'm really starting to feel like our GM MG just pushed one of the classiest guys in the NHL to an early retirement. Has this ever happened before where a player retired on the decision by the team? Uggh, starting to think the organization needs a real shakeup. Sorry, just can't help sometimes feeling that way.

The complete opposite.

A player whom nobody can deny had dropped significantly in on ice performance after a major injury, was not nearly as effective as before his injury. I believe Manny to be very classy, what does that have to do with him playing hockey ?

He was not contributing enough all while having an issue with his vision not improving and as was stated before this could be a major safety concern moving forward.

Not only was Manny given the opportunity by the team to rehab, and get into game form, the player and team alsready discussed the potential and options which unfolded as the Canucks placing him on the IR.

I don't see how a team going out of their way to accomodate a player and try and keep him playing for them is in any way pushing said player into early retirement ?

There is zero reason for a team to work with a player as much as they had with Manny, they would have been well within their right to buy him out or whatever options they could be afforded in Manny's situation.

It;s too bad for Manny, but Vancouver did nothing but go out of their way for him.
Posted Image

#19 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Manny will get a contract this off season from a team for sure....and I am willing to say he will be so motivated to get back to himself.

I can see a team that is a potential contender sign Manny for the same reasons we did, faceoff's and his defensive play.

I don't know that he can. The NHL signed off on him being put on the injured list because they agreed with the Canucks reasoning, which we assume is that Manny has so little sight left in that eye that he's unable to see everything on the ice sufficiently to protect himself as all players are expected to. For that reason, I can't imagine they'd sign off on any contract with him unless he could prove there had been a change, which at this point there isn't likely to be. More importantly, I can't imagine any insurance company would sign off on it when he's obviously at a much greater risk for a serious injury.

It's heartbreakingly sad to be honest. He's such a great guy. He's obviously dedicated, hardworking and determined. I wish for his sake that his career didn't have to end like this, but it's better like this than if he got a serious head injury or other injury that might make the rest of his life more difficult. He has a family and has to think of his quality of life after hockey for their sake, if not for his own.
Go, Canucks, Go!

#20 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,306 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

I said this the day MG announced Manny was done. It was such a shady move. I mean all of a sudden MG cared about Manny's health right when Kesler was set to return? C'MON people...This move was made only to make room for Kesler, such a scumbag move. Does MG think the fans are stupid?? How can a GM tell a player he's done when the player himself feels he can still play? I've never liked MG and this only makes me dislike him even more. CDC overrates this douchebag big time

Really? Give your head a shake.

If he really believed Manny could still play, do you think they would force him out rather than just put Volpatti on waivers?

No they wouldn't. Anyone who has watched Manny play since his injury knows that he's not the same player. His eye is effecting his ability to play, and someone had to tell him that it was risky for him to continue.

Edited by DeNiro, 27 February 2013 - 02:16 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#21 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

He can be as motivated and train as hard as he wants. It won't fix his eye though.
Posted Image

#22 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

He was useless other than face offs the last 2 seasons. I would of dealt him if he felt he wanted to play.

#23 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,821 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

How is that an embarrassment (or even potentially one)? Manny also said in the interview he understands Gillis has his safety in mind first and foremost.

FarhanLaljiTSN
Malhotra doesn't question Gillis' sincerity at all in his decision. Believes Gillis had his best interests & cared about his future

annschmaltz
Malhotra speaking for the first time since career halted "it was Mike's decision. I don't agree, but he has my best interests at heart."

That wasn't the case at all, not sure where you got that from apart from maybe misinformed fans. It's already been noted the Canucks have to get Pinizzotto off of IR and onto the roster before being able to assign him to the Wolves, and that Ebbett is likely to be recalled to cover for Kesler.

benkuzma
Malhotra's IR status will not change with Kesler's broken right foot revelation.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#24 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

The complete opposite.

A player whom nobody can deny had dropped significantly in on ice performance after a major injury, was not nearly as effective as before his injury. I believe Manny to be very classy, what does that have to do with him playing hockey ?

He was not contributing enough all while having an issue with his vision not improving and as was stated before this could be a major safety concern moving forward.

Not only was Manny given the opportunity by the team to rehab, and get into game form, the player and team alsready discussed the potential and options which unfolded as the Canucks placing him on the IR.

I don't see how a team going out of their way to accomodate a player and try and keep him playing for them is in any way pushing said player into early retirement ?

There is zero reason for a team to work with a player as much as they had with Manny, they would have been well within their right to buy him out or whatever options they could be afforded in Manny's situation.

It;s too bad for Manny, but Vancouver did nothing but go out of their way for him.

I agree in the playoffs it would be just a matter of time before someone like a Dustin Brown would lay a predatory hit on Mannys weak side.

#25 freebass

freebass

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

Just like Peter Forsberg? Chris Chelios? Sometimes these guys have so much love for the game they just don't know when to walk away.

Don't underestimate the power of denial.

Edited by freebass, 27 February 2013 - 02:54 PM.

I never thought this forum would ever be any good but this whole penis thing is pretty awesome.

I said we lost to USA because of ARE GOALTENDING!!! do you know how to read?

#26 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,669 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

So agree with this post.  I've never undertsood why the majority of CDC seems to treat MG as god.  The Malhotra issue aside, MG has made some awful decisions as a GM including: Signing Ballard for 4.5m, only to see him become a bottom pairing Dmen; the Hodgson trade (say what you will about Kas, Hodgson would have provided the secondary scoring this team really needs and Kas doesn't really do that); Luongo's insane contract and his inability to trade him yet; Brining Booth in a 4.2m and only getting 30pts out of him last year and one this year; signing Garrison for 4.6m cap hit after one good season in Florida.

Edited by Langdon Algur, 27 February 2013 - 02:59 PM.

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#27 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

How is that an embarrassment (or even potentially one)? Manny also said in the interview he understands Gillis has his safety in mind first and foremost.

[/color][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#32363F][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#222222]
That wasn't the case at all, not sure where you got that from apart from maybe misinformed fans. It's already been noted the Canucks have to get Pinizzotto off of IR and onto the roster before being able to assign him to the Wolves, and that Ebbett is likely to be recalled to cover for Kesler.

Team 1040 mentioned Manny took part in full practice today for the first time in a while. At the same time Volpatti is put on waivers. The point I was trying to make was that if in fact Manny was to get back into the lineup that the optics of that could potentially be embarrassing given the previous rumours of why the club really made the move. Not that I believed the rumors.

I think the club has been more than fair with Manny, and since actually hearing Manny speak I believe deep down he knows it's time to step away. He's being given a glorious chance to learn the inner workings of an NHL team at all levels and sounds like he's leaning in that direction, even though he insists he can still play.

1zchaix.jpg

#28 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,821 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Team 1040 mentioned Manny took part in full practice today for the first time in a while. At the same time Volpatti is put on waivers. The point I was trying to make was that if in fact Manny was to get back into the lineup that the optics of that could potentially be embarrassing given the previous rumours of why the club really made the move. Not that I believed the rumors.

I think the club has been more than fair with Manny, and since actually hearing Manny speak I believe deep down he knows it's time to step away. He's being given a glorious chance to learn the inner workings of an NHL team at all levels and sounds like he's leaning in that direction, even though he insists he can still play.

Which is why the next updates were confirmation Manny would remain on the IR regardless of Kesler's injury. Manny even said in the interview after practice he missed the team aspect and enjoyed being able to practice with the guys purely based on that alone. I'm just saying it's a pretty large stretch to consider the team will have any embarrassment out of how they handled this.

I know you've said you don't believe the rumours, but your post suggested they had some credibility even though the facts at this point clearly say they don't.

BTW, here's the interview for any that haven't heard it:

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#29 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Standup guy. Has one good eye. Not condusive for NHL hockey. Pretty straightforward for the Canucks.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#30 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

So agree with this post.  I've never undertsood why the majority of CDC seems to treat MG as god.  The Malhotra issue aside, MG has made some awful decisions as a GM including: Signing Ballard for 4.5m, only to see him become a bottom pairing Dmen; the Hodgson trade (say what you will about Kas, Hodgson would have provided the secondary scoring this team really needs and Kas doesn't really do that); Luongo's insane contract and his inability to trade him yet; Brining Booth in a 4.2m and only getting 30pts out of him last year and one this year; signing Garrison for 4.6m cap hit after one good season in Florida.

Agree that MG is overrated by some people (don't get me wrong, he's a good GM but not a god). But most of the points you bring up are not really fair.

-Keith Ballard is clearly overpaid, I'll give you that. -Hodgson trade-clearly Buffalo wins that trade in the short term but in the long term I think it will even out. Besides MG kind of had his hands tied with Hodgson, there's no way we could have kept him. Only thin he could have do better is bring in a player that was further along in his development.
-Luongo - with the way he's played this year, hanging onto him seems like the right move at least for now. Even if we do end up trading him soon (don't see that happening until Schneider really settles in), his trade value will be much higher than it was over the summer.
-David Booth - if he were more healthy he would have had more points. He's still 999999x better than Sturm and when Samuelsson retires we will have won the trade.
-Garrison - can't judge until he plays more with us

Edited by etsen3, 27 February 2013 - 03:32 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.