The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Malhotra Speaks With Media, Opens Up

Everybody Hates Raymond

gillis has stated more than once that he decided o shut down manny last year, and that he let manny talk him out of it. he likely told manny in camp this year "ok, you have until kes is healthy to prove you can get your game back," and when that didn't happen, gillis put him on ir so that manny can keep collecting his paycheques. they'll find a new role for him by next year so he can retire.

I'm confused, is this another MG hate thread or a thread on Manny's condition and feelings about being placed on IR? I'm going to assume it's still the latter and say something I've been dying to say for a couple years now....

Hasn't anybody else noticed that Malhotra's eye has been half shut the ever since the incident occurred?!!

gillis has stated more than once that he decided o shut down manny last year, and that he let manny talk him out of it. he likely told manny in camp this year "ok, you have until kes is healthy to prove you can get your game back," and when that didn't happen, gillis put him on ir so that manny can keep collecting his paycheques. they'll find a new role for him by next year so he can retire.

That sounds about right.

Gillis also said that Manny is very proud and stubborn. His comments today, while perhaps undetstandable. were a surprise to me. Publicly declaring himself not at risk and capable to play is a distraction and shot at MG no matter how he softens it with "MG having my best interests at heart". It creates fodder for the press and a distraction for the team who he is skating with. Knowing he thinks he is fit to play and not being allowed to would be hard for the teammates who think highly of him.

One more episode in the Soap Opera that is the Nucks.

Exactly, Gillis' strategy of trading away talented young prospects so he can keep playing his soft core players who can't get it done in crunch time has worked so well. Can't wait until Jensen is packaged with a draft pick to fetch Marek Zidlicky to shore up another 2nd round loss.

Gillis prides himself on being a GM that doesn't treat players like commodities only but like actual human beings. This is something I'm sure he picked up from his player agent days. Its a good philosophy but he may overcompensate at times such as deciding a player is unfit for the game under the guise that he is worried about the players health. His concern is genuine I'm sure but there may be a little too much handling of players with kid gloves.

I think Manny fracked up.

By publicly declaring he is still fit to play, this may force the league into looking closer at his eligibility to be on Injured Reserve and circumvent the cap. Nucks might be forced to waive Manny. I think he would get picked up.

Maybe this is what he wants???

Keslers injured long term again and this team is thin at center. Ever since Malhotra was placed on IR we have sucked big time defensively, we need this guy in our lineup or at least some defensive center worth 2 million.

I say MG puts him back in the team. If the guy says he doesn't feel in danger on the ice then he doesn't, I don't think a general manager can make that call sitting up in the suites after watching 10 games played. That should always be the players call to make, or even a coach's, not the GM's.

Obviously MG had good intentions with this move and maybe he even wanted to free up some cap space, but by doing a classy player like Malhotra wrongly won't sit well with any of the other players either.

Really? Give your head a shake.

If he really believed Manny could still play, do you think they would force him out rather than just put Volpatti on waivers?

No they wouldn't. Anyone who has watched Manny play since his injury knows that he's not the same player. His eye is effecting his ability to play, and someone had to tell him that it was risky for him to continue.

.... And that's why it's so awesome that the Canucks are still letting him practice and saying they want to find a way for him to continue to contribute instead of just slamming the door behind him now that he can't play.

Still, I hope they get him someone to talk to to help ease the transition. I have nothing but respect and good wishes for Manny!

After watching the video on Malhotra speaking up for the first time, I was just wondering what others thoughts on this whole situation are?

Hearing Malhotra say that he believes different from Mike Gillis in that he feels physically fit, mentally there, and at no point like he is in danger is a little difficult to hear. I understand that Gillis has Malhotra's long term health in mind, but would this be a situation in which Gillis should have listened to Malhotra's plea? Throughout the whole video I felt horrible for Manny, not only because he's such a great character for this team and city, but because you can see how much he wants to play. I think this is the first time I've really ever seen Malhotra this distrought, and even upset with the decision made by the organization/Gillis.

Do you guys think that this was a mistake on Gillis' part, and by no means am I referring to Gillis as a bad GM. I still believe very much so that he is one of the best GM's we've had. Hopefully the discussion isn't just about wanting to fire Gillis, but on Malhotra's situation.

Archived