The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Malhotra Speaks With Media, Opens Up

Everybody Hates Raymond

When did Gillis become a Doctor? If Malhotra played the beginning of the season, that means he was cleared physcially to play. I am going to assume this injury is the same as Ohlunds where there has to be a certain percent of vision to play, if doctors cleared him then that is good enough. Shouldn't be up to Gillis.

And how is this forcing Malhorta into early retirment? At the end of this season he becomes a free agent and he go somewhere else to play. If somebody gives him a chance. This is not the same thing as Linden. Linden said if the Canucks didn't sign him, he would retire, as he didn't want to sign elsewhere. If Malhotra is offered a contract in the off season he takes it.

This whole thing is a gong show, and Gillis is just being stupid. He should either offer Manny up for trade or waive etc. I'd take Manny saying he can still play over Gillis who says he can't any play.

Here are my takeaways from watching Manny's interview...

(1) He is the consummate team player; accepting what is best for the team, even if the cost is losing his spot on the active roster (in this case, I don't get the sense that Manny feels that he's been wronged...though it's clear that he disagrees with MG's assessment and decision).

(2) The only organization that he wants to be a part of at this time is the Canucks. I don't know if this is because deep down he knows that no one else will give him a chance (which may be an unconscious admission that a part of him believes MG is right) or is because of his deep seeded loyalty to the Canucks...I presume it's a combination of the two.

(3) Mentally and emotionally, he is psyching himself up for life after his playing career. I thought that his responses to what's next was pretty telling...it seems MG is going to give Manny exposure to the many different elements of the hockey operations and Manny will be given the opportunity to determine what the best fit for him is...if this is the case, the Canucks is a first class organization.

(4) The obvious is Manny believes he has more to give on the ice...it's sad to see, and the sympathy and empathy meter is ramped high among the Canucks faithful, but I think Manny was given the chance to show what he could do in the first ten games...did he deserve a longer look? Maybe, but in the long term, I truly believe MG is doing what is best for Manny, and though he may disagree for the short term, it seems to me that Manny accepts this.

Malhotra has been given nothing but respect by the organization, the fans, his teamates.

It is not a benefit to have him playing on this hockey team, I am sorry he is not able to perform at the level needed and in a manner condusive to player safety.

I really liked the Malhotra signing and he fit right in with the team, a very solid addition to the Canucks, then he got seriously injured. He is not capable of playing like he had in the past and I am sorry to say he is not an option for the Canucks moving forward.

I understand people wondering if Malhotra has been wronged, been disrespected, or if management has gone about things in a " shady " manner. Please just educate yourselevs on the process of how we got to the Canucks shutting down Malhotra's season and his speaking out today.

It was made clear to Malhotra whe he was trying to come back from this injury what the Canucks could do, what the Canucks interests were and mostly it was made clear by management the opportunity they have given Malhotra to bounce back. It did not work. Thats real unfortunate, but its life.

For the life of me, people on here whine about players they call " plugs " etc and how the team needs to add strong pieces moving forward not having certain non-contributing elements. Yet Vancouver humanely shuts down Malhotra after going way out of their way to let him try and earn his spot on the team. And now people are unsure of how this was handled or are whining about how a player who does not fit in the club's plans right now whom is not contributing but a faceoff win here and there is likely being mistreated ?

Really ?

I am a Malhotra fan, but come on, have you guys not been watching him play ? he has justifiably been removed from the active roster.

all in all, i think this really is the best thing for manny if he is going to continue with the club. yes he is good at faceoffs. yes his level of compete is what we want from all our active players.

his game has been a bit guarded lately. understandable considering the rethink he must have had internally. you could not have expected him to come back with reckless or complete self sacrefice.

i think the best use of manny right now and in the near future is as a faceoff sparring partner. travel with the team, spend time on ice with our centers on a regular basis, and stay in shape in case the team changes their mind and needs him on the ice.

I love him to death, but he was playing very poorly even last year. Not sure what the issue is. I fully respect Malhotra's words. A true player like him will never ever ever quit. And I don't expect him too. That being said, MIke Gillis did the right thing. If MIke Gillis was truly a greedy man we could have traded Manny for a 7th round pick and get something out of this. But he's not doing that. He hasn't been the same since the eye injury. Watching the way he plays already gives it away.

Well, whatever the reason, I can tell you this: Manny with one eye is still a better option than Andrew Ebbett.

He is still the best faceoff man we have, and can kill penalties better than Ebbett, and is a bigger body presence and has the leadership and intangibles.

Look. Hockey is a contact sport and it is dangerous out there - especially if you can't see out of one eye. I get that. But to shut a player down because of it? Hockey is his life - that's what he put his entire life towards. I think Manny wants to leave it all on the ice even if that means he may get seriously injured again.

There are always risks, and Manny has a slightly higher risk than other players because of his eye. But to shut him down because of that? I don't believe in that.

At the same time, because the Canucks have the ample cap space and because Manny is still a more viable option than some of our depth players, it doesn't make sense for the Canucks to shut him down other than for the actual best intentions for Manny's long term health. If anything, they could have made him the 13th forward because he is still valuable.

So I don't buy any of the conspiracy crap that people are spewing that Gillis is doing this for some sick selfish reason for his team. Although I don't agree with the decision, this is 100% for Manny, not for Gillis' own benefits.

Don't know if anybody has brought it up yet, but Malhotra can't get traded even if he wanted to. Gillis completely sewered his career. Why not keep it within the organization? Or at least as best you can. I mean, who the hell is going to sign him now? Gillis goes to the press and says Manny isn't fit to play hockey? Great guy.

Now we're seeing how he has dealt with Manny Malhotra, placing him on the IR as soon as Ryan Kesler is healthy and ready to play. Whether he was genuinely concerned for Manny's health or merely used it as an excuse to bench him for his poor play, Gillis used Manny's situation to take him out of the lineup. Manny is saying the right things, but he clearly disagrees with how the team has handled his situation.

Archived