The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Malhotra Speaks With Media, Opens Up

Everybody Hates Raymond

Sekeres on Team 1040 just said that Manny is speaking now and said that he wants to play hockey and that he STRONGLY disagrees with Mike Gillis' decision to put him on injured reserve.

I don't think I've ever seen something like this. Potentially a huge embarrassment for this team...the decision I mean. Manny is all class.

The complete opposite.

A player whom nobody can deny had dropped significantly in on ice performance after a major injury, was not nearly as effective as before his injury. I believe Manny to be very classy, what does that have to do with him playing hockey ?

He was not contributing enough all while having an issue with his vision not improving and as was stated before this could be a major safety concern moving forward.

Not only was Manny given the opportunity by the team to rehab, and get into game form, the player and team alsready discussed the potential and options which unfolded as the Canucks placing him on the IR.

I don't see how a team going out of their way to accomodate a player and try and keep him playing for them is in any way pushing said player into early retirement ?

There is zero reason for a team to work with a player as much as they had with Manny, they would have been well within their right to buy him out or whatever options they could be afforded in Manny's situation.

It;s too bad for Manny, but Vancouver did nothing but go out of their way for him.

I said this the day MG announced Manny was done. It was such a shady move. I mean all of a sudden MG cared about Manny's health right when Kesler was set to return? C'MON people...This move was made only to make room for Kesler, such a scumbag move. Does MG think the fans are stupid?? How can a GM tell a player he's done when the player himself feels he can still play? I've never liked MG and this only makes me dislike him even more. CDC overrates this douchebag big time

I said this the day MG announced Manny was done. It was such a shady move. I mean all of a sudden MG cared about Manny's health right when Kesler was set to return? C'MON people...This move was made only to make room for Kesler, such a scumbag move. Does MG think the fans are stupid?? How can a GM tell a player he's done when the player himself feels he can still play? I've never liked MG and this only makes me dislike him even more. CDC overrates this douchebag big time

How is that an embarrassment (or even potentially one)? Manny also said in the interview he understands Gillis has his safety in mind first and foremost.

That wasn't the case at all, not sure where you got that from apart from maybe misinformed fans. It's already been noted the Canucks have to get Pinizzotto off of IR and onto the roster before being able to assign him to the Wolves, and that Ebbett is likely to be recalled to cover for Kesler.

Team 1040 mentioned Manny took part in full practice today for the first time in a while. At the same time Volpatti is put on waivers. The point I was trying to make was that if in fact Manny was to get back into the lineup that the optics of that could potentially be embarrassing given the previous rumours of why the club really made the move. Not that I believed the rumors.

I think the club has been more than fair with Manny, and since actually hearing Manny speak I believe deep down he knows it's time to step away. He's being given a glorious chance to learn the inner workings of an NHL team at all levels and sounds like he's leaning in that direction, even though he insists he can still play.

So agree with this post.  I've never undertsood why the majority of CDC seems to treat MG as god.  The Malhotra issue aside, MG has made some awful decisions as a GM including: Signing Ballard for 4.5m, only to see him become a bottom pairing Dmen; the Hodgson trade (say what you will about Kas, Hodgson would have provided the secondary scoring this team really needs and Kas doesn't really do that); Luongo's insane contract and his inability to trade him yet; Brining Booth in a 4.2m and only getting 30pts out of him last year and one this year; signing Garrison for 4.6m cap hit after one good season in Florida.

So agree with this post. I've never undertsood why the majority of CDC seems to treat MG as god. The Malhotra issue aside, MG has made some awful decisions as a GM including: Signing Ballard for 4.5m, only to see him become a bottom pairing Dmen; the Hodgson trade (say what you will about Kas, Hodgson would have provided the secondary scoring this team really needs and Kas doesn't really do that); Luongo's insane contract and his inability to trade him yet; Brining Booth in a 4.2m and only getting 30pts out of him last year and one this year; signing Garrison for 4.6m cap hit after one good season in Florida.

One interesting part of this whole saga is that Manny is apparently unfit to play games because of the danger of further injury but it's OK for him to practice with the team which smells a lot like seafood to me. Remember a guy named Valeri Zelepukin? He has a similar injury to Malhotra but instead of it happening in a game it happened, that's right, in PRACTICE. He was never the same again. This reeks of cap circumvention and/or creative roster management. Thinking outside the box again, MG?

I'm confused, is this another MG hate thread or a thread on Manny's condition and feelings about being placed on IR? I'm going to assume it's still the latter and say something I've been dying to say for a couple years now....

Hasn't anybody else noticed that Malhotra's eye has been half shut the ever since the incident occurred?!!

Archived