The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo never asked for a trade, he said if Gillis came to him and asked him to waive his NTC he wouldn't say no.

Alot has changed since last season. if everyone knew Luongo was going to still be here and play like this there never would have been any issue

"It’s presumed that they could get better package of players for Schneider than for Luongo." -- this is true

No doubt Schneider brings the better package, though it's Luongo on the block. He's never asked for a trade, just had a bad moment immediately following a playoff loss where he was probed by media and responded poorly.

Is it possible that Luongo stays and Schneider goes? Yes. Is it likely? No.

If Gillis wants to push 'all in' this year then yes, he trades Schneider, and probably our first to land a mega player.

No doubt Schneider brings the better package, though it's Luongo on the block. He's never asked for a trade, just had a bad moment immediately following a playoff loss where he was probed by media and responded poorly.

Is it possible that Luongo stays and Schneider goes? Yes. Is it likely? No.

If Gillis wants to push 'all in' this year then yes, he trades Schneider, and probably our first to land a mega player.

After all this dicking around with Schneider, he's obviously not stoked on the way its been handled. What if we trade Luongo, and then Schneider chooses to entertain free agency and some other team makes a ridiculous offer he cant refuse.

Then we'd be looking really silly for trading Luongo and then losing Schneider. More than silly, we'd be effed completely.

I think Gillis would trade Schneider if Luongo would agree to stay long-term.

The difference in trade value between Schneider and Luongo is greater than the difference in value that they bring to the team. Schneider has a far greater trade value given his age, contract status and lack of NTC. But Luongo, arguably, provides just as much hockey value as Schneider does for the next few years.

Trading Schneider would net not only a more valuable return; it would also allow Gillis to target a return that specifically addresses the team's needs. If Schneider were put on the block, Gillis would likely get several offers from many different teams. Gillis could not only work the bidders for the highest possible value in return; he could also pick and choose amongst the offers to get exactly what the team needs. Perhaps that would be a young, emerging star defenseman who happens to be a RH shot, such as John Carlson. Or perhaps it would be an established, point-producing forward.

Luongo has a much lesser trade value. First, his contract status and age put off many potential suitors. And then there's also Lu's ability to limit the group of potential trade partners with his NTC. In result, there are far fewer teams who are interested in Luongo, which is likely why this process is dragging on. Gillis is likely targeting a specific return, but hasn't yet been offered it, as there just aren't many suitors.

So if Luongo can be convinced to stick around, why not keep him? Would you rather have Luongo and Schneider, only one of whom can play at a time? Or would you rather have Luongo plus Carlson and Neuvirth? How about Luongo plus Voracek +?

This golaie situation is just brutal, I'm not a fan of it. I don't think either goalie can feel a great passion for a team that doesn't allow them the chance to get into a groove or to redeem themselves after a loss. Please MG just trade one already.

The biggest reason I think Lu is ready to stay here is he sees how poor Florida, Washington, and NYI are doing, 3 teams that have probably humored GM with offers this late in the season. Why would he go to a team knowing that he will not be in the playoffs this year, and probably not the year after either? He has a good thing going in vancouver:

1. Record holder in almost all goalie stats.

2. A love for the city; loves the seawall, bc lotto sponsorship, all his charity work, etc.

3. On a perennial cup contender.

4. Has slowly become the "good guy" again.

5. Good friends with a lot of the team, Florida has few players that were there when he was on the team before.

I think it is highly unlikely he waives his NTC now as opposed to before the lockout.

Schneider on the other hand has more reason to want to be traded. Let the young goalie go to a young up and coming team like Florida or NYI, and for a better return. If Lu starts to faulter later in his contract, the cap should be high enough that getting a new #1 shouldn't be an issue.

As for ot asking for a trade, MG said he would consider keeping Lu if Lu came came to him and said he wants to stay. Ignore the obvious if you choose to but that is a pretty strong admission from the GM that the guy wants to go elsewhere.

Lu may be willing to stay with Vancouver because of his relationship with the team but he also would like to be closer to his family in FLorida. I can't see him agreeing to stay longe term unless AV goes. Maybe MG too.

I've watched enough videos, read enough articles, seen enough @strombone, heard enough interviews to follow this guy til the end of his career. He can handle it. Him and the Sedins are the players I want to see win a stanley cup more than anyone in this league and I would love to see them win it together. Schneider will get his chance. Honestly, I think Schneider has done a poorer job at being the villain than Lu ever did.

I think Gillis would trade Schneider if Luongo would agree to stay long-term.

The difference in trade value between Schneider and Luongo is greater than the difference in value that they bring to the team. Schneider has a far greater trade value given his age, contract status and lack of NTC. But Luongo, arguably, provides just as much hockey value as Schneider does for the next few years.

Trading Schneider would net not only a more valuable return; it would also allow Gillis to target a return that specifically addresses the team's needs. If Schneider were put on the block, Gillis would likely get several offers from many different teams. Gillis could not only work the bidders for the highest possible value in return; he could also pick and choose amongst the offers to get exactly what the team needs. Perhaps that would be a young, emerging star defenseman who happens to be a RH shot, such as John Carlson. Or perhaps it would be an established, point-producing forward.

Luongo has a much lesser trade value. First, his contract status and age put off many potential suitors. And then there's also Lu's ability to limit the group of potential trade partners with his NTC. In result, there are far fewer teams who are interested in Luongo, which is likely why this process is dragging on. Gillis is likely targeting a specific return, but hasn't yet been offered it, as there just aren't many suitors.

So if Luongo can be convinced to stick around, why not keep him? Would you rather have Luongo and Schneider, only one of whom can play at a time? Or would you rather have Luongo plus Carlson and Neuvirth? How about Luongo plus Voracek +?

Archived