The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Simply put, Luongo is the better goalie in all facets of the game and RIGHT NOW he gives the Canucks a better chance to win a Cup than Schneider does.

That being said, I hope MG lets AV roll both goalies in a tandem, at least up until the deadline if not until next season. We've seen a lot of goalies already injured this season due to the nature of the shortened season, and an injury to a goalie on a Canuck team that relies so heavily on that area of the game would be brutal.

It would have to be a pretty significant return for us to consider it I think. I wouldn't ever say never though.

Well, that's arguable. I think Luongo has been better overall this year, but really both have been good. Will it stay that way in years to come? Maybe for a bit, but I think Cory will clearly be better down the road.

just as people on here have tough time with reading comprehension/reading between the lines - one only needs to think a little bit about a comment from a defeated player saying / volunteering I'd waive my NTC clause if asked, and what that means.

Moreover, if you have twitter and can read between the line and follow a fellow named Stombone1 you'd again see this person (luongo) has implied over and over he wants out.

Now is it possible Schnieds could be moved as per the reasons on the OP, yes. But can you simpletons stop acting like Loungo didnt ask to be traded without stating it verbatum????

If Ovi came out right now and said I'd waive my NTC do you think he's not asking for a trade?

WOW JUST WOW!!!

Yeah but that is a critical reason why a trade needs to happen. We need more cap-space and simply cannot spend that kinda money in goal. I'm not denying Luo is a good goalie but his contract pretty much decreases his value to average as no GM esp one that is looking to re-build a team around a goalie would be looking to hamper themselves cap wise for years to come; oh yeah and then give up their best prospect/ 1st line player to do that XD (even Burkie passed and that REALLY says something). In a trade a players value is set essentially based on supply and demand. The demand for Luongo is fairly low due to his contract not so much his playing ability.

His contract is a BIG deal. That is precisely why we are trying to get rid of him in the first place lol. If he was making 2M we would love to keep him till he retires.

Unfortunately cap is going down next year and his slightly oversized contract is gonna get to being gigantic.

In any case, the point is it really doesn't matter what Luongo is worth. As of right now, having them both in goal is a little redundant.

Salary cap for next year is 64.3M

According to cap geek our Payroll is 60.4 next year, with only 5 dmen and 7 forwards lol (and the goalies)

We have ~4M to sign approx 7 players.

Somewhere in there we are going to have to give up players for nothing just like how SJ donated Ehrhoff to us!

Think of this trade...

Troy Brouwer 1st rd pick for Luongo, would you take it?

Now think of this

Mason Raymond, Chris Higgins, Troy Brouwer,1st rd pick for Luongo, would you take it?

And I think most offers we have beat

Troy Brouwer and a 1st rd pick

Yeah but that is a critical reason why a trade needs to happen. We need more cap-space and simply cannot spend that kinda money in goal. I'm not denying Luo is a good goalie but his contract pretty much decreases his value to average as no GM esp one that is looking to re-build a team around a goalie would be looking to hamper themselves cap wise for years to come; oh yeah and then give up their best prospect/ 1st line player to do that XD (even Burkie passed and that REALLY says something). In a trade a players value is set essentially based on supply and demand. The demand for Luongo is fairly low due to his contract not so much his playing ability.

His contract is a BIG deal. That is precisely why we are trying to get rid of him in the first place lol. If he was making 2M we would love to keep him till he retires.

Unfortunately cap is going down next year and his slightly oversized contract is gonna get to being gigantic.

In any case, the point is it really doesn't matter what Luongo is worth. As of right now, having them both in goal is a little redundant.

Salary cap for next year is 64.3M

According to cap geek our Payroll is 60.4 next year, with only 5 dmen and 7 forwards lol (and the goalies)

We have ~4M to sign approx 7 players.

Somewhere in there we are going to have to give up players for nothing just like how SJ donated Ehrhoff to us!

Think of this trade...

Troy Brouwer 1st rd pick for Luongo, would you take it?

Now think of this

Mason Raymond, Chris Higgins, Troy Brouwer,1st rd pick for Luongo, would you take it?

And I think most offers we have beat

Troy Brouwer and a 1st rd pick

Actually the difference in the 2 is negligable if you base it on stats. Lou has sp of .912 and Schneids is .910 , the difference in goals (4) is attrbuted to the increased shots Schneider has faced (39) over 11 games. Schneider has also played 24 minutes less than Lou. Do the math ! Schneider has, over the last 2 seasons, faced more shots per game more than Lou...maybe our team feels more confidant and can open up more with Schneids in goal

I'd take the Washington -trade any time, but doubt it can be done.

But the one with Philly makes no sense for them, and I do believe they are right up against the cap and we come in second. So we would have to match $ for $ what they give us and what we send there. And that trade would put the about 7$ Million over the cap max. This without looking into numbers too closely, just a circa. So that can't happen

It is true that Lu's contract could be a burden going forward. But Schneider is far more likely to return a cap friendly contract or two in a trade. Schneider could return a young forward who is paid $3M but produces like a $6M player.

Just trade a goalie already Jesus Christ. If this keeps up they will both be worth crap in the off season. How can you get on your game when your sharing time?

And unlike before, its not like there is friendly competition btw the goalies...now its more like play well or you will be traded to Florida...or Toronto.

And even scary threats like that aren't getting through on some nights cuz they already got no. 1 goalie contracts. :picard:

The goalies are sick of it, the fans are sick of it, and other teams GM's are prolly sick of it too. Pretty sure they are all past that point where they were supposed to be desperate for a goalie and come running to the nucks.

MG is playing it cool like two goalies are gonna work to our benefit, but really its screwing us over and will be much much worse next year with the cap going down (other Gm's will have more leverage on Gillis). Its not like we are trying to trade Ovechkin Crosby here (true superstar); we can't really be fleeced that bad when the goalie market seems to have set and accepted Luongo's price. MG is the only one fighting it at this point.

Schneider's contract in three seasons is up and he will be an UFA. He is getting 4.0 million a season now and will command a hefty pay raise. The problem is that next year the cap hit is going down, and in two years you have to sign Daniel and Henrik.

Posted this in the Luongo news thread (and discussion thread) so might as well put it here as well:

I'd say the first real (as far as we know) insight into a turn in tide for who Gillis may be getting the most calls on. Grain of salt as always.

Archived