The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

schneider should be moved for 2 simple reasons:

1. he has higher trade value

2. he could leave in a couple years, gaining the canucks nothing. with luongo, they have anywhere from adequate to spectacular goaltending from now until the end of time. it's a known commodity. schneider is not.

ha, oh no you were serious. It's called signing an extension and if there's no indication of that happening before their contract is up you trade them for a return. Similar to what ANA will do with Perry. By you logic we should be getting rid of all of our UFA's (Raymond, sedin's, booth, hansen, higgins) since we may lose them eventually. I don't see any reason why Schneider would not resign

ha, oh no you were serious. It's called signing an extension and if there's no indication of that happening before their contract is up you trade them for a return. Similar to what ANA will do with Perry. By you logic we should be getting rid of all of our UFA's (Raymond, sedin's, booth, hansen, higgins) since we may lose them eventually. I don't see any reason why Schneider would not resign

Just like any high UFA, if they don't seem like they are going to re-sign you make sure you get a return out of them. It's not like this is an uncommon practice. And there is 2 year to go by before we even have to consider this.

It's not a who's better discussion, it's which goalie makes more financial/quality sense and will benefit this team now and the future discussion. Luongo is a great goalie, there's no denying that but is he the best solution for this team moving forward? How many flames fans don't want iginla to leave. Even now at 36 year old he is the city's hero and they don't want to move on from him. Sometimes fans need to step back from their personal bias and look at the team from a "what's the best option".

I've asked the before but what team is this "fetching more" coming from? I understand why (cap/younger) but from who? And be realistic when you think about, go through each team, I already have

What team is willing to give up more? No teams it makes sense to make the trade for him this year before deadline. So if the value for either goalie isn't going to be very high, then which goalie do you move. As you said yourself, both goalies are equal, you would think you keep the younger, less expensive goalie.

Archived