The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If it wasn't for Luongo, the series would've probably ended in 4. Face it, the team overall just wasn't all there. The fact that it went to 7 games clouded the fact that Vancouver wasn't even close to the level of Boston( finals). Defense was crumbling and offense couldn't do a thing. Now i'm not saying Luongo was completely flawless, but to say it was all Luongo's fault when its a fact that the team just couldn't match Boston is just typical blind hatred.\

Last time i checked, Luongo can't score goals.

One of those last two was the most important series to score more than 1gp in ie the SCF, then they couldnt follow it up the next year with more of an offensive effort and that resulted in a early exit. Like I said you need goals to win a game and if offense doesnt score it does not matter how good a goalie is. You cant pick and choose which series you critique a goalie, you either look at all or none, I already acknowledged Luo crapped the bed in some games, you have yet to even acknowledge that we had a lack of defense and offense, which in my opinion implies you expect our goalies to win all our games for us with minimal effort from the rest of the team.

Statisically. You gotta keep Schneider. His SP is.921 and GAA is 2.29 since the first game of the season. Lou , on the other hand has SP of .904 and GAA of 2.48.....his sp is going down and GAA is rising. His SP is now 32nd in The league ! Even lou's most ardent fans have to see this trend. Lou was at the top of the stats categories early in the season, so, his stats are far worse than his current numbers to have fallen so quickly. Lou is not an option here,or hes an overpaid backup.

Are you trying to prove a point of some kind?

You just pointed out that Luongo is statistically a better goaltender when the games are much less important (regular season).

Playoffs: GP- 61, 32W - 29L, 2.53 GAA, .916 Sv%, 5 SOs.

Look at these numbers for a moment. If these numbers represented one of Luongo's regular seasons, how impressed would you be? They would be average for the regular season and are far from "elite" in terms of playoffs.

A tired and overused excuse on these boards to say the least. Nobody, myself included, expects Luongo to score any goals, not even 1, that is the furthest thing from his job.

However, it is Luongo's job to stop goals from happening and he did an amazing job of that in 3 games during that series, he performed at a truly elite level, which is what was/is expected of him when we need it. The other 4 games? Well we've all seen that song and dance in the 3 previous Chicago series, a total mental cave in.

I've never said that losing the cup was all Luongo's fault, but his play was the only thing that could've given the Canucks a chance. The way I see it, our lack of scoring doesn't absolve Luongo from being beaten like a drum. He needed to be elite in all of the games necessary to win, not just 3.

Also, this is just my personal opinion but losing the Stanley Cup in 7 games doesn't feel better than losing in 4 or 5. I've already seen the Canucks lose in 7 and hoped it would never happen again.

You have been saying ridiculous things since the summer. And are upset that everything you said is wrong and that most likely we end up keeping Luongo. Just like I mentioned to you a long time ago when you said he would be traded. Don't make me dredge up your old posts from the summer but I will if needed.

In fact I already took some time so lets look back at some of smurf47 comments...

smurf47, on 10 May 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

A midget goalie playing for the Canucks could have got us into the playoffs. Lou was middle of the pack on a first place team...hardly stats that impart confidence on the team or fans

smurf47, on 05 July 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

Having both goalies wanting to be #1 is too much distraction on the team. Lou won;t stay and play second fiddle to Schneider. I really can;t see Lou here come September. He can taste Florida

smurf47, on 06 July 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

I no particular order except Smith who I believe is tops

Smith

Lundqvist

Rinne

Schneider

Halak

Elliot

Rask

Quick

Price

Kipper

smurf47, on 06 July 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

Gee...guess you didn't listen to Luongo on radio this morning...he says hes gone....kiss yur boy goodbye...

------

Well gee smurf47. Lu is still here and it could very well be Schneider who gets traded. Luongo has also played just as good if not better THIS year and will continue to get starts....

Despite your bias against him...

What about the rest of his point that the team wasn't there for the series. You're right losing in 4 feels the same as losing in 7 but that comment kind of skirts the actual point he was trying to make.

These weak arguments from you and Smurf are entertaining but the run around is getting a bit old. Saying just enough right things that you ignore having to actually address the main point doesn't really cut it as a response don't you think?

Of course Lou is still here...I felt for sure he would be traded but MG asked too much and blew the opportunity but Look at lou's stats 32nd in SP after starting the season near the top. His stats are worse than Schneiders this year as they were last year. Love Lou if you want but hes no longer in the elite class and his stats reflect that opinion. Two goalies imo is a distraction.

opinions from the peanut gallery...and no...never said I played with Roenick...but did play against derek sanderson..I don;t cherry pick stats etc..and don;t comment on trade values or many other topics on this forum...I keep to what I know...none of your arguements refute my points of view or offer alternatives...I also still believe Lou is a bonified NHL goalie..just not elite...and with too many chinks in his armour. His stats are now, for the second season in a row, worse than Schneiders. Deny, deny but its pointless.

Archived