The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I disagree. Backstrom could be exactly the type of guy the Canucks need. He wouldn't be the only piece as we do need some more jam too, I don't disagree with that.

Backstrom could compliment the Canucks a lot, assuming he is healthy, and could be the vital linchpin on the 2nd PP unit to make it explosive. He has the ability to make players around him better and more productive.

It's true he has a big cap hit but it the trade was something like the following it could make a big improvement to the team. (It's not a serious proposal)

To Was: Luongo, Ballard, Booth, 1st = $13.8 mil

To Van: Carlson, Backstrom, Brouwer = $13.4 mil

Sedin-Sedin-Burr

Higgins-Backstrom-Brouwer

Raymond-Kesler-Schroeder

Kassian-Lappy-Hansen

Hamhius-Bieksa

Edler-Carlson

Garrison-Tanev

Schneider

Wolski-Ribiero-OV

Booth-Laich-Ward

Chimera-Johansson-Fehr

Crabb/Beagle/Hendricks/Perrault

Alzner-Green

Ballard-Poti

Schultz/Erskine-Hamrlik

Luongo

Holtby

After all this dicking around with Schneider, he's obviously not stoked on the way its been handled. What if we trade Luongo, and then Schneider chooses to entertain free agency and some other team makes a ridiculous offer he cant refuse.

Then we'd be looking really silly for trading Luongo and then losing Schneider. More than silly, we'd be effed completely.

We can let it close completely or we can add young talent and sustain it longer.

Plus adding a star now (which isn't as realistic or likely as people would like to think it is) would then destroy us next year. Like we would become Chicago after they won the cup, and any chance at a cup is them completely gone, atleast this way with young players, we keep our depth and our star power. And those players can help out now too.

Schneider to NYI for Streit, Neidereitter, and Nielson at the deadline.

Solves our need for a puck mover to get our powerplay going. A stud prospect for the future. And a third line center play maker that gives us three solid scoring lines.

I find some of these trade proposals comical.

Lets not forget the Capitals traded Varlamovs rights (he was a rfa) for a top 10 1st round pick and a 2nd rounder.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Schneider a much better goalie than Varlamov with a lot more potential and under contract for 3 years?

I think the Flyers will be the most aggresive team to get one of our goalies. They have lots of size in Hartnell, Voracek and Simmonds. I would think one of them could be involved with a young centre and a pick.

We can let it close completely or we can add young talent and sustain it longer.

Plus adding a star now (which isn't as realistic or likely as people would like to think it is) would then destroy us next year. Like we would become Chicago after they won the cup, and any chance at a cup is them completely gone, atleast this way with young players, we keep our depth and our star power. And those players can help out now too.

would that really be so bad? they won it in 2010, still made the playoffs in 2011 after losing alot of their depth and almost took us out as the 8th seed, made the playoffs again last year but ran into a red hot Mike Smith, and are currently the #1 team in the league this year. I'd take that along with the cup win prior to all of it

Archived