663 replies to this topic

#91 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

I highly doubt they ever stopped getting calls about Schneider. Teams have been calling for years about him.....

#92 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

They arn't going to trade Schneider. Pretty sure the organization made it clear during the playoffs last year, and with his recent contract that they want to go with him. Plus I don't think it would be a great confidence booster for Lou to keep him given all the explicit trade talk.

G4fSut.gif

#93 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

They arn't going to trade Schneider. Pretty sure the organization made it clear during the playoffs last year, and with his recent contract that they want to go with him. Plus I don't think it would be a great confidence booster for Lou to keep him given all the explicit trade talk.

Same story, different date. The possibility is there indeed for a Schneider trade...

#94 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

What if CS decides he doesnt want to play in a fish bowl anymore and bolts after his contract is up?

Would rather back up a goaltender whose locked up for over a decade or a the guy with the 3 year contract? alot can happen in 3 years.

You still don't get it, Lu has a contract for 10 years left, don't mean he is your starter for 10 years. If Schnieder plays well and signs an extension, he will be our starter for a solid 5-7 years like Lu has been. No back up will stick around for that many years especially a guy like Lack who is young and has potential.

He is Schnieder's shoes 3 years earlyier.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#95 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

You still don't get it, Lu has a contract for 10 years left, don't mean he is your starter for 10 years. If Schnieder plays well and signs an extension, he will be our starter for a solid 5-7 years like Lu has been. No back up will stick around for that many years especially a guy like Lack who is young and has potential.

He is Schnieder's shoes 3 years earlyier.

Schneider has a three year contract, doesn't mean he's your starter at any time, and it doesn't mean he's here for the next 10. I think Trebreh gets it.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 28 February 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#96 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Schneider, Kesler, Booth

for

Backstrom, Alzner/Carlsson

ewww, glad ur not our gm

#97 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

just trade one already this is getting ridiculous. Bring in a #2C and a prospect and demote Kes to the third until he learns to do the things that made him successful to begin with.

agree

#98 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,855 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Would you guys do a deal involving these players?

Iginla backlund for Cory + conditional 2nd if backlund resigns??

Iginla is solely a rental. Backlund rfa

WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

#99 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

To Columbus:
Schneider
Schroeder
Ballard
Connaughton

To Vancouver:
Johansen
Brassard
Erixon
Mason

#100 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,516 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Would you guys do a deal involving these players?

Iginla backlund for Cory + conditional 2nd if backlund resigns??

Iginla is solely a rental. Backlund rfa

You don't typically do a conditional pick for a pending RFA. Even if they don't re-sign right away, the team still owns their rights so it's not like they lose them for nothing.

But to answer your question, no I wouldn't trade Schneider for a rental in Iginla and Backlund.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#101 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

Schneider
Cannauton
Raymond

for
Johansen
CBJ first 2013 (that's a lottery pick folks)

Edited by canuckfan85, 28 February 2013 - 10:28 PM.

#102 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,855 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

You don't typically do a conditional pick for a pending RFA. Even if they don't re-sign right away, the team still owns their rights so it's not like they lose them for nothing.

But to answer your question, no I wouldn't trade Schneider for a rental in Iginla and Backlund.

We get a center with a bright future, he can even play second line center if kes moves to the wing. He's a very good passer and kes needs a guy that talented to feed him pucka. Iginla 90% wouldn't re sign but just as a rental he could be the difference maker we need in the playoffs.

That being said I'm not sure if the flames would do that deal.
WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

#103 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Schneider
Cannauton
Raymond

for
Johansen

Columbus needs a goalie but not yet, even with Schneider they will still miss the playoffs this year, next year and the after that so what's the point. It would be way better just to keep Johansen and their first, which probably ends up being Jones, McKinnon or Drouin.

Edited by Lockhart, 28 February 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#104 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

Is back to back 1st round losses bad? Yeah I think so.

If you won a cup prior to that happening then that's not a bad tradeoff, especially with how good they are now they're easily the cup favourites yet again at the moment

#105 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Schneider
Cannauton
Raymond

for
Johansen

LA already has their pick

#106 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

LA already has their pick

Wrong. CLB has LA's.

#107 RK7Teen

RK7Teen

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

To Cbj:
Schneider
Raymond
3rd round pick

For

To canucks
Dubinsky
Foligno
1st round pick

#108 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

id do the above trade in a heart beat if it was CBJ's lottery pick

Edited by canuckfan85, 28 February 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#109 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Columbus needs a goalie but not yet, even with Schneider they will still miss the playoffs this year, next year and the after that so what's the point. It would be way better just to keep Johansen and their first, which probably ends up being Jones, McKinnon or Drouin.

fair but what do they do without a goalie? they keep losing that's what- look at edmonton, they have all those good young players and no goalie- so it doesn't matter.

#110 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

If you won a cup prior to that happening then that's not a bad tradeoff, especially with how good they are now they're easily the cup favourites yet again at the moment

Our team isn't in the same position as Chicago anyways. we arent lacking a star player.

zackass.png

#111 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:34 AM

I've always preferred to see a Schneider trade, as it's sure to be a better return for the team. I also have a lot of faith in Luongo. There's no reason to think he won't give us more excellent goaltending for the next 5 years. Even the greatest goalies of all time get lit up every now and then. We shouldn't be so quick to discard our starter when it happens.

In 7 Canuck seasons, his GAA has always been within 2.11-2.57 and his SV% has always been within .913-.928. The only other goalies I can find with comparable numbers and consistency are Brodeur, Lundqvist and barely Rinne.

Ward doesn't measure up. Neither does Fleury, Kipper, Price, Miller, Backstrom and a tonne of others. Some goalies have hot seasons here and there (Mason, Elliott, Anderson), but to know that your 65-game starter is going to give you 40 wins, a 2.30 GAA and .920 SV% year after year after year is too valuable to give up.

#112 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,921 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:01 AM

If he decides to move Schneider, I'd be happy to see Hamonic from the isles coming back.

Schneider + Ballard
Hamonic + 1st rounder. Hamonic = a perfect top four shut down defenceman. Put him with hamhuis and boom, the ham line :pp

Then send Booth + a 2nd for Alfie + Bishop

Sedins - Alfie
Burrows - Kesler - Jensen
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Kassian

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Hamonic
Garrison - Bieksa

Schneider
Bishop
Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#113 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:46 AM

Wrong. CLB has LA's.

yeah sorry got that backwards

#114 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:47 AM

Our team isn't in the same position as Chicago anyways. we arent lacking a star player.

Chicago is lacking a star player..?

#115 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:27 AM

Posted Image

Craig Custance ESPN.com

http://insider.espn....nment-plans-nhl (Note: You must be an ESPN.com insider to read this story. However, I have posted the discussion regarding Cory Schneider from the Custance piece directly from another source. In addition, Pierre LeBrun corroborates the story; see below)

http://www.mynhltrad...-and-schneider/

Roberto Luongo is 5-1-3 with a 2.11 GAA and .916, and has made it easy for Canucks GM Mike Gillis to hold on to him while looking for maximum return on any deal. The longer Luongo stays, the tougher it becomes for Cory Schneider. Gillis has been getting calls from teams interested in Schneider. It might be better in the short term if Schneider is moved. It’s presumed that they could get better package of players for Schneider than for Luongo. Schneider is under contract through 2014-15 at $4 million a year. If the Canucks were to move him, they would still have a world-class goalie in Luongo. The longer Luongo remains with the Canucks, the harder it becomes to move him before the summer. It may worthwhile seeing what you could get for Schneider.

Pierre LeBrun ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/b...nd-bad-ref-luck

Canucks crease conundrum continues

Interesting read by ESPN The Magazine colleague Craig Custance on Monday wondering if it’s Cory Schneider, not Roberto Luongo, who moves out of Vancouver.

One thing’s for sure: Because he’s younger and with an easier contract to swallow, you can bet there’s a better chance of Vancouver getting a sizable offer for Schneider before April 3 as opposed to Luongo.

But for the Canucks to even consider reversing course and moving the kid instead of the veteran, as was the plan, they would need assurances from Luongo that he no longer wants out. Remember, Luongo asked for a trade at the end of last season.

My guess? Luongo hasn’t changed his mind.

I don’t think Schneider is going anywhere.

I would guess the same as you. There's too much to undo from the original stance of keeping Schneider and trading Luongo. Gillis knows before any one that having these two particular goalies in the house that the pressure is mounting. We the public have no idea how many calls he's been getting for whom and how much.
I think Luongo will gone sooner than later under the building drama and injuries to key personnel.

#116 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:01 AM

I would guess the same as you. There's too much to undo from the original stance of keeping Schneider and trading Luongo. Gillis knows before any one that having these two particular goalies in the house that the pressure is mounting. We the public have no idea how many calls he's been getting for whom and how much.
I think Luongo will gone sooner than later under the building drama and injuries to key personnel.

If they're getting better offers for Schneider, then they aren't trading Luongo. Letting Luongo go for nothing when you could potentially get something good back for Schneider would be idiotic.

#117 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

If they're getting better offers for Schneider, then they aren't trading Luongo. Letting Luongo go for nothing when you could potentially get something good back for Schneider would be idiotic.

What if Luongo doesn't want to stay?

#118 Noseforthenet

Noseforthenet

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

I can bet Gillis is receiving at least three times the amount of calls concerning Schneider as he's receiving concerning Luongo. Up to three teams MIGHT be interested in Luongo's contract and that, for peanut returns, thereby nagating the prospects of a Luongo trade.

Under Burke, Toronto has said they're not interested. under Nonis, with their team having relative success, they're most likely not interested still. Florida has said they're not interested, Washington was pissed to see Gillis in town.

Nash might have been made available by Columbus but either Schneider was not available by the Canucks or Nash refused to waive his NTC to come to the Canucks. Yzerman is waiting for Schneider. Tallon is waiting for Schneider. In Winnipeg, Schneider was a fan favorite. Boston got rid of Thomas while Schneider is from the area. Edmonton would most likely pay a hefty ransom for Schneider, as well as Colorado and Calgary. The NYI have Nabokov and Thomas but both are in their twilight of their careers while demoting DiPietro to the minors, so Schneider could fit there too. Those are only the teams that are either struggling hard or are on the bubble for the playoffs who might benefit from a goaltending change and subsequently push for a playoff spot.

Luongo has an NTC, thereby having the right to veto any trade. Therefore, the pickings are slim in either the GM of said team refuses to acquire the contract and/ or Luongo refuses the said destination.

Advantage Canucks since they get to keep one of the best goaltenders to ever play the game while fielding offers for a young up and coming goaltender who would bring in a higher return due to coatractual term.

I like Gillis' patience.

You probably don't get this alot, but great post! I think my one thing with trading Schneider is that if he does go, we need an up and coming goalie in return. To use Washington as an example, if Lu went there, Neuvirth would be adequate. If Schneids went there, I'd want Holtby instead. The sick return that can be gotten for Schneider may just outweigh the value we get by having him here. Someone will knock our socks off!

#119 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

If I were MG and he considered trading schneider than I wouldn't settle for anything less than a Carlson, or Couturier.

To Wash

Schneider
Raymond
Weise

To Van

Carlson
Brouwer
Neuvirth

OR

To Philly

Schneider
Ballard
Raymond

To Van

Couturier
Coburn
2nd

Edited by JohnLennon, 01 March 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#120 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

^^^^
This is very true. As much as I love Schneider and want him on this team, Logically it would make more sense to get something(?) for something(Schneider) rather than nothing(?) for something(Luongo). Lu is still an All star Goalie, and with the right moves we could get something spectacular for Schneider that can help us win a cup NOW and not in another 5-10 years..

Edited by JohnLennon, 01 March 2013 - 10:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.