The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You don't typically do a conditional pick for a pending RFA. Even if they don't re-sign right away, the team still owns their rights so it's not like they lose them for nothing.

But to answer your question, no I wouldn't trade Schneider for a rental in Iginla and Backlund.

Columbus needs a goalie but not yet, even with Schneider they will still miss the playoffs this year, next year and the after that so what's the point. It would be way better just to keep Johansen and their first, which probably ends up being Jones, McKinnon or Drouin.

I've always preferred to see a Schneider trade, as it's sure to be a better return for the team. I also have a lot of faith in Luongo. There's no reason to think he won't give us more excellent goaltending for the next 5 years. Even the greatest goalies of all time get lit up every now and then. We shouldn't be so quick to discard our starter when it happens.

In 7 Canuck seasons, his GAA has always been within 2.11-2.57 and his SV% has always been within .913-.928. The only other goalies I can find with comparable numbers and consistency are Brodeur, Lundqvist and barely Rinne.

Ward doesn't measure up. Neither does Fleury, Kipper, Price, Miller, Backstrom and a tonne of others. Some goalies have hot seasons here and there (Mason, Elliott, Anderson), but to know that your 65-game starter is going to give you 40 wins, a 2.30 GAA and .920 SV% year after year after year is too valuable to give up.

If he decides to move Schneider, I'd be happy to see Hamonic from the isles coming back.

Schneider + Ballard

Hamonic + 1st rounder. Hamonic = a perfect top four shut down defenceman. Put him with hamhuis and boom, the ham line :pp

Then send Booth + a 2nd for Alfie + Bishop

Sedins - Alfie

Burrows - Kesler - Jensen

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Higgins - Lapierre - Kassian

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Hamonic

Garrison - Bieksa

Schneider

Bishop

schneider.jpg?w=618&h=408&crop=1

Craig Custance ESPN.com

http://insider.espn....nment-plans-nhl (Note: You must be an ESPN.com insider to read this story. However, I have posted the discussion regarding Cory Schneider from the Custance piece directly from another source. In addition, Pierre LeBrun corroborates the story; see below)

http://www.mynhltrad...-and-schneider/

Roberto Luongo is 5-1-3 with a 2.11 GAA and .916, and has made it easy for Canucks GM Mike Gillis to hold on to him while looking for maximum return on any deal. The longer Luongo stays, the tougher it becomes for Cory Schneider. Gillis has been getting calls from teams interested in Schneider. It might be better in the short term if Schneider is moved. It’s presumed that they could get better package of players for Schneider than for Luongo. Schneider is under contract through 2014-15 at $4 million a year. If the Canucks were to move him, they would still have a world-class goalie in Luongo. The longer Luongo remains with the Canucks, the harder it becomes to move him before the summer. It may worthwhile seeing what you could get for Schneider.

Pierre LeBrun ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/b...nd-bad-ref-luck

Canucks crease conundrum continues

Interesting read by ESPN The Magazine colleague Craig Custance on Monday wondering if it’s Cory Schneider, not Roberto Luongo, who moves out of Vancouver.

One thing’s for sure: Because he’s younger and with an easier contract to swallow, you can bet there’s a better chance of Vancouver getting a sizable offer for Schneider before April 3 as opposed to Luongo.

But for the Canucks to even consider reversing course and moving the kid instead of the veteran, as was the plan, they would need assurances from Luongo that he no longer wants out. Remember, Luongo asked for a trade at the end of last season.

My guess? Luongo hasn’t changed his mind.

I don’t think Schneider is going anywhere.

I would guess the same as you. There's too much to undo from the original stance of keeping Schneider and trading Luongo. Gillis knows before any one that having these two particular goalies in the house that the pressure is mounting. We the public have no idea how many calls he's been getting for whom and how much.

I think Luongo will gone sooner than later under the building drama and injuries to key personnel.

I can bet Gillis is receiving at least three times the amount of calls concerning Schneider as he's receiving concerning Luongo. Up to three teams MIGHT be interested in Luongo's contract and that, for peanut returns, thereby nagating the prospects of a Luongo trade.

Under Burke, Toronto has said they're not interested. under Nonis, with their team having relative success, they're most likely not interested still. Florida has said they're not interested, Washington was pissed to see Gillis in town.

Nash might have been made available by Columbus but either Schneider was not available by the Canucks or Nash refused to waive his NTC to come to the Canucks. Yzerman is waiting for Schneider. Tallon is waiting for Schneider. In Winnipeg, Schneider was a fan favorite. Boston got rid of Thomas while Schneider is from the area. Edmonton would most likely pay a hefty ransom for Schneider, as well as Colorado and Calgary. The NYI have Nabokov and Thomas but both are in their twilight of their careers while demoting DiPietro to the minors, so Schneider could fit there too. Those are only the teams that are either struggling hard or are on the bubble for the playoffs who might benefit from a goaltending change and subsequently push for a playoff spot.

Luongo has an NTC, thereby having the right to veto any trade. Therefore, the pickings are slim in either the GM of said team refuses to acquire the contract and/ or Luongo refuses the said destination.

Advantage Canucks since they get to keep one of the best goaltenders to ever play the game while fielding offers for a young up and coming goaltender who would bring in a higher return due to coatractual term.

I like Gillis' patience.

If I were MG and he considered trading schneider than I wouldn't settle for anything less than a Carlson, or Couturier.

To Wash

Schneider

Raymond

Weise

To Van

Carlson

Brouwer

Neuvirth

OR

To Philly

Schneider

Ballard