663 replies to this topic

#151 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:49 AM

rolling 2 number 1 goalies makes no sense- neither get into a rhythm. Gillis is hurting the team.

#152 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,948 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:53 AM

rolling 2 number 1 goalies makes no sense- neither get into a rhythm. Gillis is hurting the team.

Didn't seem to effect either of them last year. Why should it this year?

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#153 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:53 AM

Gillis is not hurting the team at all. Even though Schneider seems to be a little less able to hole the fort his value increases as the days go on by having injuries accumulating throughout the league, as well as teams getting close to determining whether they'll make the playoffs.

Gillis holds the cards.

#154 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

Didn't seem to effect either of them last year. Why should it this year?

because cory was told he is the number one, but the canucks are not treating him like one-why would you post that comment- having you even been following what is going on? Les Incompitans

#155 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

Schneider + booth/Ray + hamhuis
For
Neuvy + poti/hamrlik(both Ufa) + backstrom.

I would prefer to keep raymond
Backstrom can center ... move kes to wing... he would do wonders with bwckstrom feeding him

Stupidest trade ever. You are trading Hamhuis (one of our best defensive D-man) and Schneider? For what? Just Backstrom? Poti, Neuvy don't have any value. We would be even less of a contender after this trade is done since we just become even more mediocre on defense.

Posted Image

#156 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Gillis is not hurting the team at all. Even though Schneider seems to be a little less able to hole the fort his value increases as the days go on by having injuries accumulating throughout the league, as well as teams getting close to determining whether they'll make the playoffs.

Gillis holds the cards.

No he does not.
If both goalies were doing amazing, if Kesler and Booth were doing amazing and if we were running away with out division/league (which we are not) then Gillis would hold all the cards. Also, if like 8 teams seriously needed an upgrade in their goaltending, then he would hold even more cards. As of now TB, WSH, CBJ, FLA badly need goaltending so bad that it is dragging their teams to the bottom of the standings, EDM with good goaltending would make the playoffs no problem.

But nobody is biting on Luo- Gillis has said that he is receiving offers but nothing is "imminent" and he has been saying this since Luongo nixed the TO trade at the draft.

If you think Gillis holds all the cards, then you are a middle schooler who does not quite get what is going on.

Nucks are in trouble. It is time to trade Cory for a good young center and a first round pick

#157 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

That's y I put hamhuis ... u gotta give a lot to get a guy like backstrom. I think edler is our best dman, tough up and down season for him tho so far

Edler isn't a good defenseman when it comes to playing actual defense. We all know that defense wins championships, so how is this trade making us a better team? Fact of the matter is that this team needs more guys like Hamhuis. I doubt Backstrom is the guy that will push this team to the cup.

Posted Image

#158 Ronning4center

Ronning4center

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

I think Gillis would trade Schneider if Luongo would agree to stay long-term.

The difference in trade value between Schneider and Luongo is greater than the difference in value that they bring to the team. Schneider has a far greater trade value given his age, contract status and lack of NTC. But Luongo, arguably, provides just as much hockey value as Schneider does for the next few years.

Trading Schneider would net not only a more valuable return; it would also allow Gillis to target a return that specifically addresses the team's needs. If Schneider were put on the block, Gillis would likely get several offers from many different teams. Gillis could not only work the bidders for the highest possible value in return; he could also pick and choose amongst the offers to get exactly what the team needs. Perhaps that would be a young, emerging star defenseman who happens to be a RH shot, such as John Carlson. Or perhaps it would be an established, point-producing forward.

Luongo has a much lesser trade value. First, his contract status and age put off many potential suitors. And then there's also Lu's ability to limit the group of potential trade partners with his NTC. In result, there are far fewer teams who are interested in Luongo, which is likely why this process is dragging on. Gillis is likely targeting a specific return, but hasn't yet been offered it, as there just aren't many suitors.

So if Luongo can be convinced to stick around, why not keep him? Would you rather have Luongo and Schneider, only one of whom can play at a time? Or would you rather have Luongo plus Carlson and Neuvirth? How about Luongo plus Voracek +?

I like everything you said except for us trading for another defenceman...we have the highest Defensive payroll in the leaugue people. Enough already...we can't freakin score!!!!

#159 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

Schneider, Kesler, Booth

for

Backstrom, Alzner/Carlsson

:picard:

After this trade, Washington will win the cup and the Canucks will be going on their 42nd anniversary without a cup in their franchise history.

Posted Image

#160 Ronning4center

Ronning4center

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

No he does not.
If both goalies were doing amazing, if Kesler and Booth were doing amazing and if we were running away with out division/league (which we are not) then Gillis would hold all the cards. Also, if like 8 teams seriously needed an upgrade in their goaltending, then he would hold even more cards. As of now TB, WSH, CBJ, FLA badly need goaltending so bad that it is dragging their teams to the bottom of the standings, EDM with good goaltending would make the playoffs no problem.

But nobody is biting on Luo- Gillis has said that he is receiving offers but nothing is "imminent" and he has been saying this since Luongo nixed the TO trade at the draft.

If you think Gillis holds all the cards, then you are a middle schooler who does not quite get what is going on.

Nucks are in trouble. It is time to trade Cory for a good young center and a first round pick

FInally...some sense!!

#161 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

You severely underate Alzner and Carlson my friend. They're like what, 21 or something and they're able to shut down guys like Crosby/Malkin etc.

Put one of them with Edler, and you have one of the best pairings in the league. Kesler is overrated, he hasn't been the same since 2 years ago. Booth has no trade value, why do you think he went for Samuelsson and Sturm? LOL

Gives us flexibility on the cap too, maybe make a run for Perry/Iginla/Getzlaf.

I think you are seriously overrating Alzner and Carlson my friend. If they were that great, Washington wouldn't be the last place team in the leauge. Kesler has been injured a few times after his Selke winning season. Aside from Datsyuk, Kesler has been the only one who has displaced him in recent years as a Selke winner. You don't trade that type of player because of one bad season. If you were the GM, we probably would've lost the Sedins many years ago.

Posted Image

#162 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Schneider is under the gun right now, look how that's going, and if we trade Luongo he'll be under it even more cause we will no longer have Luongo to step in if he plays like crap

So it only takes 2-3 crappy games for our fan base to run the goalie out of town. Good to know.

Posted Image

#163 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

Hamonic the top four defenceman. RH shot.

Schneider + Ballard (we take half his cap) + 4th round pick
Hamonic + Nielsen.

any day.

Take out Nielsen and replace it with Nino.

Posted Image

#164 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

^ I like Gillis' patience too, but at the same time we were reportedly offered Schenn and Kadri for Lu. I don't know about Schenn, but Kadri sure is looking good this year.

Now that am looking back on this, maybe we should've traded for that package. Just imagine getting Schenn and Kadri, then inHi another trade, we would exchange Schenn with JVR. We would've had both Kadri and JVR which are the only reason the Leafs are doing good this season.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Kadri-JVR-Booth
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lappiere-Kassian

Kesler - IR

Then when the playoffs roll around, we would just switch Schroeder with Kesler who would play the more defensive role.

Posted Image

#165 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

I think you are seriously overrating Alzner and Carlson my friend. If they were that great, Washington wouldn't be the last place team in the leauge. Kesler has been injured a few times after his Selke winning season. Aside from Datsyuk, Kesler has been the only one who has displaced him in recent years as a Selke winner. You don't trade that type of player because of one bad season. If you were the GM, we probably would've lost the Sedins many years ago.

both these guys are forces...why is washington at the bottom of the league? one word...

goaltending.

#166 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Now that am looking back on this, maybe we should've traded for that package. Just imagine getting Schenn and Kadri, then inHi another trade, we would exchange Schenn with JVR. We would've had both Kadri and JVR which are the only reason the Leafs are doing good this season.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Kadri-JVR-Booth
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lappiere-Kassian

Kesler - IR

Then when the playoffs roll around, we would just switch Schroeder with Kesler who would play the more defensive role.

Gillis accepted this trade, Luongo did not. Luongo wanted to go to Florida and was confident Florida would give gillis waht he wanted for him. Florida does not care about anything accept getting as many young cheap players as possible. Luongo nixed the trade pal- Luongo's brother later tweeted about it making fun of Gillis saying how he tried to trade Luongo to a team other than florida.

Luongo now feels sorry with the mess he has created- why do u think he is so apologetic and a 'team guy' now.

There have rumours reported by the Province guys that, that summer Luongo nixed several trades Gillis was happy with.

#167 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

POPULAR

No he does not.

Welcome back King.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#168 Outsiders

Outsiders

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

Cory Schnieder is a young goalie. He has proved that he can be the #1 goalie here in Vancouver.I dont think for a second that he will go. If he does that would be a shocker,. I dont think that goaltending is the problem in vancouver tho.There are other areas that the team could be better. We got two goalies that you just cant replace if they go.They can both be starting goalies for are team.

bhzi9k.jpg

Hunter Shinkaruk - Eddie Lack - Jake Virtanen 

Your next Generation of Canucks 

Credit To -Vintage Canuck-

#169 Outsiders

Outsiders

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Cory Schnieder is a young goalie. He has proved that he can be the #1 goalie here in Vancouver.I dont think for a second that he will go. If he does that would be a shocker,. I dont think that goaltending is the problem in vancouver tho.There are other areas that the team could be better. We got two goalies that you just cant replace if they go.They can both be starting goalies for are team.

bhzi9k.jpg

Hunter Shinkaruk - Eddie Lack - Jake Virtanen 

Your next Generation of Canucks 

Credit To -Vintage Canuck-

#170 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

both these guys are forces...why is washington at the bottom of the league? one word...

goaltending.

Do you even watch hockey or just look at stats? Goaltending isn't the reason they are at the bottom of the league. It's a combination of OVI, backstrom both not playing great. The D have been terrible, Brooks Liach hasn't played a game yet, they takes atleast two 5 on 3's per game. Their PK has sucked. Holtby hasn't been unreal but he hasn't had much help either and not as bad as his stats would show. Could they use an upgrade? sure. But if any body wants to say goaltending is the reason why WSH is doing so bad, well then they better be able to admit that Luongo was also the reason canucks didn't win in the finals.

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat, 02 March 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#171 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

Do you even watch hockey or just look at stats? Goaltending isn't the reason they are at the bottom of the league. It's a combination of OVI, backstrom both not playing great. The D have been terrible, Brooks Liach hasn't played a game yet, they takes atleast two 5 on 3's per game. Their PK has sucked. Holtby hasn't been unreal but he hasn't had much help either and not as bad as his stats would show. Could they use an upgrade? sure. But if any body wants to say goaltending is the reason why WSH is doing so bad, well then they better be able to admit that Luongo was also the reason canucks didn't win in the finals.

Pfft, Luongo was the reason it went 7 games!
:towel:

#172 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Pfft, Luongo was the reason it went 7 games!

I'm just using the same logic canucksfan85 is. Based on the stats it would seem goaltending is at fault.

Holtby last 7 games .939 save% and a 1.85 GAA.
Tied for league lead 3 shutouts.
But yes goaltending must be the reason caps are last.

#173 Hockey God

Hockey God

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Old Canuck fan living in New Zealand. I don't normally post, as I like reading what others say more, but for this thread, I'll make an exception. I can actually see a situation in which the Canuck management/owners do the following:
1. Tell themselves that they have a great chance to win now once the team if fully healthy, so they need to do the best they can for the team moving forward.
2. Trade Schneider to get the piece(s) the team needs to play any team's game come the playoffs, incudling an experienced backup.
3. At the same time, tell Luongo that they guarantee that the end of the season they will buy him out, giving him the freedom to choose where he wants to play.
4. Hopefully, Cup won at the end of the playoffs. At this point, Canucks have that experienced backup and Lack et al to think about for next season, and some space to, barring other trades and buyouts, rebuild from the goalline out.
Would Luongo go for it? If he knew that what he wanted, freedom to move anywhere his heart desired, would come at the end of a successful season, then yes, I think he may just give it his all one more time for the team. Thoughts?

#174 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,407 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Old Canuck fan living in New Zealand. I don't normally post, as I like reading what others say more, but for this thread, I'll make an exception. I can actually see a situation in which the Canuck management/owners do the following:
1. Tell themselves that they have a great chance to win now once the team if fully healthy, so they need to do the best they can for the team moving forward.
2. Trade Schneider to get the piece(s) the team needs to play any team's game come the playoffs, incudling an experienced backup.
3. At the same time, tell Luongo that they guarantee that the end of the season they will buy him out, giving him the freedom to choose where he wants to play.
4. Hopefully, Cup won at the end of the playoffs. At this point, Canucks have that experienced backup and Lack et al to think about for next season, and some space to, barring other trades and buyouts, rebuild from the goalline out.
Would Luongo go for it? If he knew that what he wanted, freedom to move anywhere his heart desired, would come at the end of a successful season, then yes, I think he may just give it his all one more time for the team. Thoughts?

so you're saying trade Schneider then Buyout Luongo so next year we only have experienced backup + Lack? I tell you this if Luongo wins the Cup this year there is a zero chance he will be bought out in the offseason. Crazy plan in my opinion and not a good one for the future.
Posted Image

#175 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

You are probably too old to think straight, but are you suggesting the team spending 30+ millions use to buy out an all star goalie who is still performing? Do you have any idea of how large that sum of money is?

Then You suggest we trade the other starting goalie we have ...

There are stupid stuffs, but this is a whole new level of stupidity.

#176 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Our window of opportunity is only so big. What if we have Schneider for a long great career, but we're in the celler of the NW division? Trade him for a big piece and win now!! (easier said than done, I know.)

#177 Thirteen

Thirteen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Seriously both goalies are awesome. I don't care who we keep & I think tonight's game is a test of depth. If calls have been coming in then some also for Luongo. Both are good assets to other teams.

If MG gets a deal he can't resist for Cory or LUOGO a trade will go down. I just don't see any players available that makes him want to trade them. Picks and prospects don't cut it, we need to win now.

Posted ImageWooooooooooooooooooooooo!Posted Image

Posted Image
Favorites: Sir. KesLord , Kaner, Stammer, Toes & Pavelski

#178 tonimator#19

tonimator#19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

To Cbj:
Schneider
Raymond
3rd round pick

For

To canucks
Dubinsky
Foligno
1st round pick

This is the best trade proposal i've seen.

Dooby- big 3rd line center
Foligno is very underrated
top 10 1st round pick

I would even change our pick to a 2nd round pick

#179 tonimator#19

tonimator#19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

If I were MG and he considered trading schneider than I wouldn't settle for anything less than a Carlson, or Couturier.

To Wash

Schneider
Raymond
Weise

To Van

Carlson
Brouwer
Neuvirth

OR

To Philly

Schneider
Ballard
Raymond

To Van

Couturier
Coburn
2nd

Good proposal.

-1st trade looks better because we get a stanley cup winger that is a big bruising winger and can score.
- Carlson would also help us out more at the moment as he can rush the puck out of the zone.

Also doubt Philly would give up their top 2 dman when they already have some dman out with injuries.

And coutourier is not ready for the big time this year. He will be star in the future but this is probably our last great chance at the cup. Sedins aren't getting any younger.

#180 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,698 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

And coutourier is not ready for the big time this year. He will be star in the future but this is probably our last great chance at the cup. Sedins aren't getting any younger.

Dude. Did you not watch the playoffs last year? Couturier shut down EVGENI MALKIN and did a fine job of it too. Of course he's ready, more than ready actually.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.