The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does Vigneault often keep Luongo past 5 or 6 goals...

briana

Last nite Rinne was pulled after 5 goals..Why doesn t Luongo get pulled after 4 or 5 goals.

This is where Vigneault is wrong..To leave Lu in nets for 8 goals this is not good coaching against Detroit.

The last team this happened to what the Habs when Patrick Roy..went to the bench and asked The GM to trade him ASAP.

Same thing against Boston.. This where I believe we lost the series. If he would have pulled him after 3 or 4 goals the series would have gone a different way!!

If i look at most games last nite even Holtby etc etc every nite most goalies get pulled after 3 or 4 goals also to possibly change the tempo of the game and not demolish your goalies mental.

Melanson not doing a good job either here

In an elite goalie I don't think it makes one iota of difference. Any elite goalie has enough sense to put that number of goals behind him..........in fact if it was me I would feel frustrated if I WAS PULLED. While you are on the ice you still have time to redeem yourself.

Fair enough if it is a young rookie, who hasn't had time to get battle hardened.

In any case AV must know that these goals were in the main down to rank bad defending......as was Schneider's the other night. These guy say things like "I need to make these saves" and he is right but equally he is thinking "Jeez when will my defence give me some help"

Not talking about the Detroit game since Schneider was apparently sick just to get that out of they way.

I don't like it for 2 reasons:

1. You never know who will be hot at the right time and get the job done. Cam Ward wasn't Carolina's main guy but he ended up replacing Gerber and they went on to win the cup. So just stubbornly only letting one guy play no matter what doesn't make sense to me.

2. I think leaving a guy in no matter what says to him you are the only hope and all the pressure is on you. But being willing to replace him actually relieves pressure and makes it easy for him to succeed.

For the debacle in Detroit, Schneids was sick so there was no option to put him in.

Sometimes coaches have to let the goaltenders try to work through a bad game...if he's just playing awful, fine, pull him. But if part of the reason is that the team in front of him is falling apart, another goaltender likely won't change that and it really isn't fair to send the message that it's on the goaltender. You can't say that a game/series "would have gone a different way" because there's no way to prove that.

I do agree that, in certain instances, we've left Lu out there to dry and changing the tempo is a good point for sure. As are time outs...sometimes we don't use those stoppages in play to try to do just that.

Good post, OP. :)

In an elite goalie I don't think it makes one iota of difference. Any elite goalie has enough sense to put that number of goals behind him..........in fact if it was me I would feel frustrated if I WAS PULLED. While you are on the ice you still have time to redeem yourself.

Fair enough if it is a young rookie, who hasn't had time to get battle hardened.

In any case AV must know that these goals were in the main down to rank bad defending......as was Schneider's the other night. These guy say things like "I need to make these saves" and he is right but equally he is thinking "Jeez when will my defence give me some help"

Luongo wasn't having a bad game, a lot of those goals were screened or lucky bounces. We were up 3-2 in that game. When he had let in 5 goals it was 5-3 and we still had a chance to come back. You don't pull a goalie for trying to keep us in a game when the defense is breaking down.

I strongly disagree. Patrick Roy, one of the best goalies of all time, was mad enough to demand a trade because he was left in for 8 goals in a regular season game. He's a guy who by that point had won 2 Stanley Cups and a Conn Smythe Trophy. It's an act of mercy on the part of the coach and this wasn't the first time that AV didn't pull Luongo when he absolutely should have.

putting a cold goalie in at the end of a game that's already out of reach can be dangerous for that player. there really isn't much to gain scorewise, and the risk of injury outweighs the benefits. i think it's different in the playoffs, where momentum in a series is so important (so yeah, game 3 was pretty crappy for a lot of different reasons).

i think the biggest problem isn't so much leaving him in at the end of a game where he's getting smoked, it's not pulling him at a time when the game can still be won.

a good coach knows when his goalie's having an off night and when the moment is to pull the goalie when the game isn't out of hand yet. even if the goals weren't the goalie's fault, pulling him can give a spark to the team.

i think AV has a hard time pulling the trigger and saying "ok we're going to switch" at a time when the game can still be saved. whether he pulls him or not after the game is essentially lost shouldn't really matter. luongo's a big boy and if he doesn't like staying in when he's having a bad day then he can either stop allowing crappy goals, or lump it. he's no Patrick Roy, and if he can't deal with it, he's not a team player.

I see what most of you are saying that an elite goalie would put the goals behind him or if it's not his fault why pull him. Fair comment.

But I'm under the belief that sometimes a goalie change should be done after 4 goals regardless of the goalies performance as kind of sign from coaching for the rest of the team to wake up.

I strongly disagree. Patrick Roy, one of the best goalies of all time, was mad enough to demand a trade because he was left in for 8 goals in a regular season game. He's a guy who by that point had won 2 Stanley Cups and a Conn Smythe Trophy. It's an act of mercy on the part of the coach and this wasn't the first time that AV didn't pull Luongo when he absolutely should have.

I don't understand AV at times. Usually he doesn't take any blame when the Canucks lose badly, he pretty much just blames the players saying that they have to be better. I really don't see why people believe is a good coach, he has repeatly got himself out coach in every playoff series he has been in. Look at the last game, why would you call a time out with 1:30min left in the 3rd period on your own side of centre. I was scratching my head about that for a while.

I fully expect him to be pulled the next time it happens, this time they get a free pass because Schneids apparently had the flu. Everyone is conscious of this now, it took long enough! lol It's not good for the confidence of the goalie and over all affects the moral of the team. Better decisions AV, better decisions!

I don't understand what you're talking about?

Luongo has been pulled before...

Every situation is different.

If you're basing your question on the one game in Detroit - well you don't know a thing about stats and it was an unique situation.

Schneider had the flu - only way he was going in is if Luongo got hurt.

It was 5-3 going into the third...wasn't 5-1...

Luongo has a 2.88 GAA vs Detroit career - so 8 goals is an anomaly.

Speaking of stats, I bet you think Luongo has a bad GAA vs the Bruins or Hawks right?

Sorry, wrong.

The only teams that have over 3 GAA vs Luongo career are....The Flyers (3.30), The Ducks (3.23) and Canucks(3.02)!

Last nite Rinne was pulled after 5 goals..Why doesn t Luongo get pulled after 4 or 5 goals.

This is where Vigneault is wrong..To leave Lu in nets for 8 goals this is not good coaching against Detroit.

The last team this happened to what the Habs when Patrick Roy..went to the bench and asked The GM to trade him ASAP.

Same thing against Boston.. This where I believe we lost the series. If he would have pulled him after 3 or 4 goals the series would have gone a different way!!

If i look at most games last nite even Holtby etc etc every nite most goalies get pulled after 3 or 4 goals also to possibly change the tempo of the game and not demolish your goalies mental.

Melanson not doing a good job either here

Archived