The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Volpatti CLAIMED by Caps

Strombone1

Why are people arguing whether Volpatti was better than Weise and/or Ebbett?

Ebbett is a centre, and has nothing to do with that move at all. He is needed to replace Kesler in that position.

The team didn't have to choose any of them. They planned on activating Pinizotto so they could assign him to a conditioning stint in the AHL.

They had a roster spot with Kesler injured, so didn't need to send anyone down (at least until Pinizotto's conditioning stint was done in a couple weeks... by then they could easily have yet another injury).

Even if they didn't know about Kesler's injury, which would be hard to believe. If you didn't want to expose anyone to waivers, you just assign Schroeder to the AHL in Wednesday, use that roster spot to activate Pinizotto, then bring Schroeder back up Thursday.

The word is that the Canucks wanted Volpatti to get more minutes to try to develop him more than what he would get in the NHL. Do to that they were willing to take the risk he was picked up. If they thought he was worth developing, then they hoped that he wouldn't be picked up.

They gambled and lost. Bad decision.

On the other hand, if they want to replace him with a similar player they can fairly cheaply. The risk was losing an asset that you could have gotten a 5th round pick in return for in a trade. If you then have to go out and replace him, it will cost you a similar 5th rounder. So in effect we are probably down a couple of very late picks because of a bad decision/bad gamble. Those picks are highly unlikely to ever get signed to a contract... but have a "slight" possibility of turning into an NHLer.

We could probably make that up for free by using up a contract on an undrafted college player instead who has as likely a chance of making the NHL.

He was one of our best 4th liners over the years imo, I don't remember anyone who can hit as hard as he could. That's exactly what we need in the playoffs to wear other teams down.

If our star players were Zetterberg and Datsyuk or most other stars then I wouldn't be as worried because they play gritty and can step it up in the playoffs.

Sedins are probably some of the least gritty players in the NHL, who lets someone punch them in the face 10 times without doing anything? That is embarassing.

But what I'm getting at is with the Sedins we need as much grit as we can get because they play a lot and do not wear down the other team at all, their cycling doesn't even work in the playoffs.

probably the only bright side to this epic MG fail. If I were Patti, I'd feed that chump his lunch just to prove how useless he is and rub it in our faces for waiving him. We lose one of the only guys that can be considered a deterrent, and call up Ebbett, who for lack a better term is a career never was and never will be. It feels like Gillis is trying to role four scoring lines, wake up sir, the leagues is getting tougher and we are weaker now after today.

He was one of our best 4th liners over the years imo, I don't remember anyone who can hit as hard as he could. That's exactly what we need in the playoffs to wear other teams down.

If our star players were Zetterberg and Datsyuk or most other stars then I wouldn't be as worried because they play gritty and can step it up in the playoffs.

Sedins are probably some of the least gritty players in the NHL, who lets someone punch them in the face 10 times without doing anything? That is embarassing.

But what I'm getting at is with the Sedins we need as much grit as we can get because they play a lot and do not wear down the other team at all, their cycling doesn't even work in the playoffs.

People are much too high on Pinizzotto. He hasn't played a single NHL game. Yeah, he had a good preseason, but that is about as small a sample size as you can get. He was in the Caps system for a while and never even got a call up.

He's going to be hungry as hell if and when he gets a shot. Lets hope he can make us forget all about Volpatti. Good Canadian boy as well.

Not entirely sure why Volpatti was put on waivers in the first place because I knew right away he'd be claimed....

I'm disappointed to see him go, heart and soul guy.

Perhaps MG is making room for a move? Who knows.

Ebbett is a centre, and has nothing to do with that move at all. He is needed to replace Kesler in that position.

The team didn't have to choose any of them. They planned on activating Pinizotto so they could assign him to a conditioning stint in the AHL.

They had a roster spot with Kesler injured, so didn't need to send anyone down (at least until Pinizotto's conditioning stint was done in a couple weeks... by then they could easily have yet another injury).

Even if they didn't know about Kesler's injury, which would be hard to believe. If you didn't want to expose anyone to waivers, you just assign Schroeder to the AHL in Wednesday, use that roster spot to activate Pinizotto, then bring Schroeder back up Thursday.

The word is that the Canucks wanted Volpatti to get more minutes to try to develop him more than what he would get in the NHL. Do to that they were willing to take the risk he was picked up. If they thought he was worth developing, then they hoped that he wouldn't be picked up.

On the other hand, if they want to replace him with a similar player they can fairly cheaply. The risk was losing an asset that you could have gotten a 5th round pick in return for in a trade. If you then have to go out and replace him, it will cost you a similar 5th rounder. So in effect we are probably down a couple of very late picks because of a bad decision/bad gamble. Those picks are highly unlikely to ever get signed to a contract... but have a "slight" possibility of turning into an NHLer.

We could probably make that up for free by using up a contract on an undrafted college player instead who has as likely a chance of making the NHL.

Who was he going to deter? .. he is an undersized, low skilled 4th liner who will be severely concussed in the East .. I am sure Colton Orr and Lucic are dreading the fact he is in the East now .. shake head .. shake again .. :picard:

I personally feel bringing up ebbett is useless, and we lost a good 4th liner in the process to make room, I dont think we can have that many people on our roster, unless someone corrects me and we did have room for volpatti yet with ebbett. But we

I am concerned that you can't read the post you are quoting.

Volpatti had ZERO to do with Ebbett. Ebbett is replacing Kesler who is missing enough time to go on IR. There were no roster space considerations that required us to waive Volpatti. We had the space to bring up Ebbett without moving anyone.

The decision to move Volpatti was for entirely different reasons.

Actually here you go, your wrong, with pinzotto and ebbett we had no room for volpatti, I like pinizotto and thought volpatti was a serviceable 4th liner, so I am effectively saying imo ebbett should be the odd man out. He did not cut it as a center at the beginning and he does not now and has not played good for the wolves even, he is not nhl material in any way. We could have put burrows back to center like we did initially when ebbett could not cut it.

Im sure you believe everything management tells you with regards to volpatti and why he was sent down, but the fact is we did not have room for him with both pinizotto and ebbett, and I believe that is why we sent him down.

http://www.theprovin...2444/story.html

Kumbaya Canucks , same old story.

i try to have faith in Gillis but its getting difficult , maybe Gillis has some serious heavies coming in but not holding my breath.

(If we dont add some beef im burning my jersey by Rogers statue at the end of this season and finding a new team to support until this teams entire upper management is replaced and they start dressing some sandpaper )

Archived