The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Volpatti CLAIMED by Caps

Strombone1

Provost im still not sure were on the same page, so dont bite my head off if were not.

This was addressed elsewhere (hfboards) the entire situation i am discussing was explained by someone else...

"Back on Volpatti, since Pinnizito is healthy and going to the wolves, Is it true they needed a roster spot to do that?"

"Since it's just a conditioning assignment, yes."

"Thanks, Would Kesler on IR have freed up that spot?"

"Kesler is on IR but that made room for Ebbett to be called up. If they didn't call Ebbett up then yes."

I see. Is this a change under the new CBA? It was always my understanding under the old CBA that everyone regardless of their age and their draft or free agent status had to sign a three year entry level contract and didn't need to be exposed to waivers when sent down. But I could be wrong on the details.

The point being made is the Canucks could have done many things in order to not have to send Volpatti down if they didn't want to.

- They could have sent him on an IR conditioning stint, they don't have to activate him as healthy to do that. You are allowed to do that before declaring the player fit

- They could have sent Schroeder down temporarily and then recalled him

- They could have used Burrows or another player at centre and not recalled Ebbett

- They could have waited and called up Ebbett a little later

If it was a simple matter of not having the roster spots, they could have used any number of methods to not have to waive Volpatti. ... at least until they determined whether Pinizotto was going to be fit to play.

Since there were other alternatives that would have avoided waiving Volpatti, the most reasonable thing is to believe what the team reported. They wanted to get him more playing time and that wasn't going to be happening on the Canucks. There was a belief that he could develop into a 3rd liner, but not by sitting in the press box.

They took a risk sending him down, presumably they thought this was the best timing to get him through waivers without getting snagged. They miscalculated.

At some point soon one could assume he or another player would have to be waived in order to add another higher end forward which we most certainly need to do. For example, Jensen's season in Sweden ends on March 5th (assuming AIK doesn't make the playoffs which is probably the case)... so he will soon be available for a call-up to the Canucks. I could see that happening after a few games in Chicago.

You've got to be freakin' kidding me :picard: I thought this was a joke. I'd seriously wish it was Weise instead.

He did everything asked of him and was probably our one of the most consistent players this season, seeing as how it seemed he was fighting every other night, and the big difference between him and Weise is that when he fights he wins. I'd rather have a guy that can do one good thing effectively than Weise who seems to be a ineffective at a bunch of things.

His physicality and tenacity actually made him a deterrent, which is something this team desperately needs. Something I really admired in him was that in a sense he reminded me of Rypien in that he was fearless in his fights and hold his own in fighting guys larger than him.

We just lost an effective role player on our team and the Caps just gained a fighter that'll defend their stars.

You've got to be freakin' kidding me :picard: I thought this was a joke. I'd seriously wish it was Weise instead.

He did everything asked of him and was probably our one of the most consistent players this season, seeing as how it seemed he was fighting every other night, and the big difference between him and Weise is that when he fights he wins. I'd rather have a guy that can do one good thing effectively than Weise who seems to be a ineffective at a bunch of things.

His physicality and tenacity actually made him a deterrent, which is something this team desperately needs. Something I really admired in him was that in a sense he reminded me of Rypien in that he was fearless in his fights and hold his own in fighting guys larger than him.

We just lost an effective role player on our team and the Caps just gained a fighter that'll defend their stars.

Archived