474 replies to this topic

#61 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,631 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

I don't like Weise and never have. I'm not "turning" on anybody.

So, don't lump me into that category. Seriously...

But yes let Volpatti pummel him so we lose momentum in a game, great team guy you are...

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#62 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Whatever will we do without Aaron Volpatti???? :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

For crying out loud we lost a dime a dozen player we could replace in less than 5 minutes give me a break you people...

You make it sound easy, yet no player, besides maybe Lapierre, has been able to consistently place in the top 20 in hits in the NHL and provide a physical presence for the Canucks like Volpatti has. If players like him are easy to replace, why has he been the ONLY one who can accomplish this seemingly simple task out of the dozens of guys tried out on the 4th line over the years?

Also, the Capitals are 3rd last in the league, which means Volpatti didn't make it that far through waivers. Only two teams passed on him before the Caps eagerly scooped him up. He's a solid 4th liner who brings a much needed physical skillset to the table, the type of player every team needs.

Edited by NuxFan09, 28 February 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#63 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,631 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

You're off base here. No, we can't get too upset over losing a 4th liner but at the same time guys like this are valuable. Take a guy like Zac Rinaldo on the Flyers. He played the same kind of role for the Flyers (tough guy, fighter, big hitter) and as he got ice time consistently he improved and now I believe he has a couple goals. Rinaldo was a staple on the Flyers' 4th line as was Volpatti on the Canucks' 4th line and the Canucks lost him to waivers because they "wanted to free up a roster spot". Well, I hope that free roster spot is used for someone worthwhile or they just completely wasted a nice asset, 4th line player or not.

Difference being when Rinaldo isn't playing like an idiot he's an effective player Volpatti is just ok.

RIP Luc Bourdon

#64 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

What were they thinking?? This is so frustrating to see the perfect fit for our 4th line gone for nothing!

Bad move after bad move it seems. I've lost faith in this team's ability to make a good decision.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#65 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Can't wait for Volpatti to knock Weise out.

What a clueless post..classless as well.

#66 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,631 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

You make it sound easy, yet no player, besides maybe Lapierre, has been able to consistently place in the top 20 in hits in the NHL and provide a physical presence for the Canucks like Volpatti has. If players like him are easy to replace, why has he been the ONLY one who can accomplish this seemingly simple task out of the dozens of guys tried out on the 4th line over the years.

Also, the Capitals are 3rd last in the league, which means Volpatti didn't make it that far through waivers. Only two teams passed on him before the Caps eagerly scooped him up. He's a solid 4th liner who brings a much needed physical skillset to the table, the type of player every team needs.

Bernier was fine just overpaid now it's time for someone else to step up, Volpatti is VERY replaceable.

RIP Luc Bourdon

#67 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Maybe GMGM asked gillis to put Volpatti on waivers for good graces to preclude a trade? highly unlikely..

I believe stuff like that has happened before. You ask X team to put a claim on your player, then you proceed to trade them a low pick or prospect for them.

So wouldn't surprise me.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#68 Sestito29

Sestito29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Guys! Guys! it's OK....we called up ANDREW EBBET!

#69 garthsbutcher

garthsbutcher

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Bottom line, Volpatti new his role, never complained. Much better option that pee wee weise . If there were several claims in for him then the management simply blew it by not getting even a draft pick back in a trade. We have zero grit and have now become even easier to play against.

#70 DalesArmy

DalesArmy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Just wait until next season when we have to squeak under the cap with some of the high priced under producing help we have now.
We will have to shed over 10 million for the 2013/14 season.
Who will have to go!!!! Who will take their place.
There will be a number of players around the league on just about every team that will not be playing in the NHL next year due to this Cap reduction.

This may look like a bigger mistake next year then it seems now.
I hope I'm wrong.

Gillis and Gilman, our Cap spesialists, will have their jobs cut out for them next season.

Good luck in Washington Aaron.

Edited by DalesArmy, 28 February 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#71 crossbar and in

crossbar and in

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

So much for being a harder team to play against. Not only do we lose an asset, but we become easier team to play against. A move like this does not inspire confidence in the gm. What do we have on the farm that has NHL speed and toughness? What is MG up to? I hope it's light at the end of the tunnel and not a train.

#72 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,259 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

I'd really like to climb in the minds of canucks brass and understand what they are thinking. This is absurd. Why don't we waive burrows while we're at it.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#73 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

I really liked Volpatti. I didn't notice him out there which given his role was a positive thing. He wasn't slow or a defensive liability like many players in that position.

#74 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,631 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

I'd really like to climb in the minds of canucks brass and understand what they are thinking. This is absurd. Why don't we waive burrows while we're at it.

Really waiving Volpatti= waiving Burrows? Why do you guys get your panties in a bunch over borderline NHLers?

RIP Luc Bourdon

#75 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

What a clueless post..classless as well.

How is my post "clueless"? If you're going to call somebody out at least make some sense. What's "clueless" about wanting a fighter and player you respect to win a fight against a fighter and player you don't respect? Because Weise is a Canuck and Volpatti isn't? Yeah that makes lots of sense. When somebody becomes a Canuck it doesn't make you obligated to fall in love with them.

Classless I can't take. Homers love to throw that word around.

#76 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,259 posts

I believe stuff like that has happened before. You ask X team to put a claim on your player, then you proceed to trade them a low pick or prospect for them.

So wouldn't surprise me.

if they wanted him why wouldn't they just throw him in the trade rather than risk someone else claiming him befor the caps have a chance? I call bs

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#77 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

...grumble...

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#78 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,631 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

How is my post "clueless"? If you're going to call somebody out at least make some sense. What's "clueless" about wanting a fighter and player you respect to win a fight against a fighter and player you don't respect? Because Weise is a Canuck and Volpatti isn't? Yeah that makes lots of sense. When somebody becomes a Canuck it doesn't make you obligated to fall in love with them.

Classless I can't take. Homers love to throw that word around.

I don't know support the home team? You really are clueless.

RIP Luc Bourdon

#79 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

I'd like someone to explain to me why this happened because I don't get why they put him on waivers in the first place.

It was because of Pinizzotto coming off his injury.

We had a full roster of 23 already. There was a technical requirement to put Pinizzotto on the NHL roster before he could be assigned to Chicago for a conditioning assignment. Due to this we had to clear a roster spot. Volpatti got the nod. Now, IF Volpatti had cleared waivers, he could have played 10 games up before technically being required to be assigned to Chicago. I believe this was the plan. The team would then have had the time to evaluate Volpatti vs Pinizzotto and made a decision as to which to keep up with the big club. If Volpatti had gone past the 10 game mark, the waiver would simply expire, no harm, no foul. During the 10 game period and conditioning stint, we would technically have Pinizzotto on Van's roster while playing in Chi, and Volpatti on Chi's roster while playing in Van.

Other choices would have been:
Weise - (many believe a better choice than Volpatti, most likely Volpatti was chosen over Weise because Weise fills in on other lines, Volpatti never does)
Barker - gone for sure
Alberts - same, depth D we actually need at this point

After that we are into full time roster players.

I liked Volpatti, but I am now curious to see how we can upgrade. If no trade happens, Ebbett will fill in for Kes, then i am not sure who will come up, Bill Sweatt maybe.

If a trade happens, we could see an upgrade, perhaps a Ryane Clowe or a Ryan O'Reilly, pretty far out there, just saying I am curious to see how we could use this
Sig too big.

#80 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,259 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Really waiving Volpatti= waiving Burrows? Why do you guys get your panties in a bunch over borderline NHLers?

I didn't mean the patti=burr in any way. Patti was clearly an asset seeing as he was picked up by a skilled team like the caps. Can you make sence of this move as of right now?

Edited by TruCanuck, 28 February 2013 - 11:06 AM.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#81 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,631 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

I didn't mean the patti=burr in any way. Patti was clearly an asset seeing as he was picked up by a skilled team like the caps. Can you make sence of this move as of right now?

Yeah we put a dime a dozen player on waivers replacing him with a different dime a dozen player. And CDC overreacts as usual..

RIP Luc Bourdon

#82 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,692 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Yup, too bad he got claimed. He and his agent noted he hadn't heard much interest from the Caps before but had heard interest from some other teams, so he was surprised they claimed him.

TSNRyanRishaug
Source confirms Oilers were one of several teams who had a claim in on Volpatti. Caps lower in standings, they got him.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#83 Duda

Duda

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

We had a full roster of 23 already. There was a technical requirement to put Pinizzotto on the NHL roster before he could be assigned to Chicago for a conditioning assignment. Due to this we had to clear a roster spot. Volpatti got the nod. Now, IF Volpatti had cleared waivers, he could have played 10 games up before technically being required to be assigned to Chicago. I believe this was the plan. The team would then have had the time to evaluate Volpatti vs Pinizzotto and made a decision as to which to keep up with the big club. If Volpatti had gone past the 10 game mark, the waiver would simply expire, no harm, no foul. During the 10 game period and conditioning stint, we would technically have Pinizzotto on Van's roster while playing in Chi, and Volpatti on Chi's roster while playing in Van.

Weise - (many believe a better choice than Volpatti, most likely Volpatti was chosen over Weise because Weise fills in on other lines, Volpatti never does)
Barker - gone for sure

Succinct summary. My understanding is that the scales tipped in Weise's favour because he kills penalties. Too bad, hardly anyone is throwing bodychecks it seems and Weise sucks at fighting... guess the only other option was to waive Pinnizotto?

#84 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,259 posts

POPULAR

Yeah we put a dime a dozen player on waivers replacing him with a different dime a dozen player. And CDC overreacts as usual..

if good fighters/big hitters are dime a dozen why arent there any on the canucks roster?

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#85 kassian 09

kassian 09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Lost frackin a native of bc player fir nothing! He was the only pure grit player we had. Wr need to get rid of this management and coaches NOW!

#86 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,461 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

A lot of premature noise.

#87 Claiborne55

Claiborne55

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

Barker - gone for sure

I liked Volpatti, but I am now curious to see how we can upgrade. If no trade happens, Ebbett will fill in for Kes, then i am not sure who will come up, Bill Sweatt maybe.

If a trade happens, we could see an upgrade, perhaps a Ryane Clowe or a Ryan O'Reilly, pretty far out there, just saying I am curious to see how we could use this

Great explaination!!! Thanks

#88 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,692 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

I don't believe waivers actually clears the roster spot, although you're correct we could keep him up for 10 games or 30 days before waivers would have to apply again if we wanted to assign him to Chicago. Only assigning him to the Wolves actually clears him from the roster, and putting him through waivers is just getting permission basically to do that.

Succinct summary. My understanding is that the scales tipped in Weise's favour because he kills penalties. Too bad, hardly anyone is throwing bodychecks it seems and Weise sucks at fighting... guess the only other option was to waive Pinnizotto?

Well, we couldn't waive Pinizzotto without bringing him back on the active roster first. And since we didn't have a roster space to do that...

if good fighters/big hitters are dime a dozen why arent there any on the canucks roster?

Because we basically have a top 12 full of top 9 (or above) players.

Edited by elvis15, 28 February 2013 - 11:16 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#89 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,631 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Weise and Volpatti are nearly identical if you look objectively, we also have Pinizotto and Vandermeer here. I'm not concerned about not having a fighter on the team IMO they're overrated. I do think we need a big body big hitter (That can play) and I expect to see one here at the deadline this year or Gillis has some explaining to do.

Volpatti is not that guy he's a good hitter that is a below average player at best.

RIP Luc Bourdon

#90 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,747 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Putting Volpatti on waivers did not really make sense unless something else is going on. He is gone now but I never viewed him as a problem on the 4th line. At least he hit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.