The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Volpatti CLAIMED by Caps

Strombone1

You're off base here. No, we can't get too upset over losing a 4th liner but at the same time guys like this are valuable. Take a guy like Zac Rinaldo on the Flyers. He played the same kind of role for the Flyers (tough guy, fighter, big hitter) and as he got ice time consistently he improved and now I believe he has a couple goals. Rinaldo was a staple on the Flyers' 4th line as was Volpatti on the Canucks' 4th line and the Canucks lost him to waivers because they "wanted to free up a roster spot". Well, I hope that free roster spot is used for someone worthwhile or they just completely wasted a nice asset, 4th line player or not.

You make it sound easy, yet no player, besides maybe Lapierre, has been able to consistently place in the top 20 in hits in the NHL and provide a physical presence for the Canucks like Volpatti has. If players like him are easy to replace, why has he been the ONLY one who can accomplish this seemingly simple task out of the dozens of guys tried out on the 4th line over the years.

Also, the Capitals are 3rd last in the league, which means Volpatti didn't make it that far through waivers. Only two teams passed on him before the Caps eagerly scooped him up. He's a solid 4th liner who brings a much needed physical skillset to the table, the type of player every team needs.

Just wait until next season when we have to squeak under the cap with some of the high priced under producing help we have now.

We will have to shed over 10 million for the 2013/14 season.

Who will have to go!!!! Who will take their place.

There will be a number of players around the league on just about every team that will not be playing in the NHL next year due to this Cap reduction.

This may look like a bigger mistake next year then it seems now.

I hope I'm wrong.

Gillis and Gilman, our Cap spesialists, will have their jobs cut out for them next season.

Good luck in Washington Aaron.

So much for being a harder team to play against. Not only do we lose an asset, but we become easier team to play against. A move like this does not inspire confidence in the gm. What do we have on the farm that has NHL speed and toughness? What is MG up to? I hope it's light at the end of the tunnel and not a train.

How is my post "clueless"? If you're going to call somebody out at least make some sense. What's "clueless" about wanting a fighter and player you respect to win a fight against a fighter and player you don't respect? Because Weise is a Canuck and Volpatti isn't? Yeah that makes lots of sense. When somebody becomes a Canuck it doesn't make you obligated to fall in love with them.

Classless I can't take. Homers love to throw that word around.

Archived