474 replies to this topic

#91 Kassassinate

Kassassinate

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

I'm starting to get really annoyed by theese decisions management has been making from the manny incident to putting patti on waivers and getting claimed. He had tremendous heart and put everything out on the ice, every shift. It kind of hurts because he was a fan favourite, and didn't fear anyone from a fight (reminds me of rick rypien, R.I.P). Really hope theres some plan behind these stupid moves such as jensen getting the call or pinizzotto getting a shot. Frustrating week with kes injured again :@

#92 skates_with_a_stick

skates_with_a_stick

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Unfu#%ing believable! Good job idiot management. How could they lose Volpatti! He does a far better job than Wiese! I am too upset to elaborate.

#93 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

It was because of Pinizzotto coming off his injury.

We had a full roster of 23 already. There was a technical requirement to put Pinizzotto on the NHL roster before he could be assigned to Chicago for a conditioning assignment. Due to this we had to clear a roster spot. Volpatti got the nod. Now, IF Volpatti had cleared waivers, he could have played 10 games up before technically being required to be assigned to Chicago. I believe this was the plan. The team would then have had the time to evaluate Volpatti vs Pinizzotto and made a decision as to which to keep up with the big club. If Volpatti had gone past the 10 game mark, the waiver would simply expire, no harm, no foul. During the 10 game period and conditioning stint, we would technically have Pinizzotto on Van's roster while playing in Chi, and Volpatti on Chi's roster while playing in Van.

Other choices would have been:
Weise - (many believe a better choice than Volpatti, most likely Volpatti was chosen over Weise because Weise fills in on other lines, Volpatti never does)
Barker - gone for sure
Alberts - same, depth D we actually need at this point

After that we are into full time roster players.

I liked Volpatti, but I am now curious to see how we can upgrade. If no trade happens, Ebbett will fill in for Kes, then i am not sure who will come up, Bill Sweatt maybe.

If a trade happens, we could see an upgrade, perhaps a Ryane Clowe or a Ryan O'Reilly, pretty far out there, just saying I am curious to see how we could use this

Those aren't the only options even if you make the assumption that the team didn't know Kesler was hurt (they did know or could have waited a day to make this move to confirm Kesler's condition).

You could have simply sent Schroeder down for a day to open up the spot (he is not subject to waivers). Then you could have activated Pinizotto... sent him on conditioning stint and recalled Schroeder in plenty of time for the next game.

The only reasonable answer is that they assumed Volpatti would clear.

If several teams put in claims you could have traded him for a 5th rounder or something.

Makes no sense unless there is a larger picture happening. Who do we have that is better for that role right now? Do we now not put Pinizotto on a conditioning stint as we need him in the lineup right away?

Edited by Provost, 28 February 2013 - 11:28 AM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#94 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Great move Gillis, ya overrated bum.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#95 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,260 posts

How is my post "clueless"? If you're going to call somebody out at least make some sense. What's "clueless" about wanting a fighter and player you respect to win a fight against a fighter and player you don't respect? Because Weise is a Canuck and Volpatti isn't? Yeah that makes lots of sense. When somebody becomes a Canuck it doesn't make you obligated to fall in love with them.

Classless I can't take. Homers love to throw that word around.

So you dont respect Weise and thats the reason you want your boy to knock him the f..k out yeah thats as about as clueless as it comes. Weise is still here because he has way more upside than Volpatti, he does much more overall than Aaron. Btw i think Weise would hold his own in a scrap with Volpatti. Dont throw the homer tag around when you are clearly riding Aarons bag.

#96 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,486 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Putting Volpatti on waivers did not really make sense unless something else is going on. He is gone now but I never viewed him as a problem on the 4th line. At least he hit.

Absolutely. I don't think putting him on waivers was a slight against his play and he was a good player for us. But, something else was going on, and if only the timing of finding out about Kesler's injury was a little sooner, we might have been able to put Kes on IR, bring Pinizzotto back from IR and send him on a conditioning stint, then have room to bring up Ebbett as center depth without having to put Volpatti on waivers. But, if the paperwork was filed already for Volpatti when we found otu about Kesler actually having a fracture, then it would have been too late to work around it.

EDIT: As Provost mentioned, we could have sent Schroeder down and brought him back up later, but since Schroeder would actually have to report to Chicago (they're going on a road trip now aren't they?) he'd have to fly to wherever the team is, then fly with them until Pinizzotto could be worked out, and then fly back to Vancouver. That's a fair amount to have happen, although not completely unreasonable.

I do believe they expected him to clear and get playing time in Chicago, maybe with Pinizzotto staying up for now.

Edited by elvis15, 28 February 2013 - 11:28 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#97 greetingsfrombrazil

greetingsfrombrazil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hope we sign him in the off season if he's available. He was doing great, it sucks that we lost him because we didn't have enough depth at center. Great 4th liner.

#98 HKSR

HKSR

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Did management pull the waiver trigger too early without knowing what Kesler's status was gonna be? What are the rules regarding placing a player on IR? I assume since Kes is out for a month to month-and-a-half, we could have put Kes on IR to free up a spot on the roster instead of waiving Volpatti. Am I missing something here?

#99 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

just another crap move , well done vancouver.

#100 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Wow, what the f*** were they thinking? I thought this team wanted to be tougher to play against, and we gave our main fighter away for nothing. Volpatti was a great 4th liner for us so far this year and that's how we repay him, great. They must have known he'd get claimed off waivers.

I guess we get to watch Dale "the dutch all star" Weise get punched in the face repeatedly and lose fights from now on. I think AV has a Rome-crush on Weise and thinks he's going to be some sort of genuine scorer or something, not a freaking chance. Volpatti could actually win fights.

So I guess now what is our 4th line? A terrible enforcer with 0 hands in Weise, Lapierre who has been under performing considering his skills, and I guess we're going to call up some unproven 4th liner who's been injured for 30 years?

The Canucks management lately has been a joke.

#101 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

Those aren't the only options.

You could have simply sent Schroeder down for a day to open up the spot (he is not subject to waivers). Then you could have activated Pinizotto... sent him on conditioning stint and recalled Schroeder in plenty of time for the next game.

The only reasonable answer is that they assumed Volpatti would clear.

If several teams put in claims you could have traded him for a 5th rounder or something.

Makes no sense unless there is a larger picture happening. Who do we have that is better for that role right now? Do we now not put Pinizotto on a conditioning stint as we need him in the lineup nowadays?

IF MG actually thought Patti would clear, his scouting and intelligence community should all be fired. There was obvious interest from a number of teams and his agent had made that clear. Only 2 teams passed onhim before he was picked up and there were other teams that put in a claim.

Obviously, the league was aware of him and his potential even though he had limited exposure. Too bad MG and AV couldn't' see his value.

Looks like they enjoy having a revolving door on the 4th line and a lack of grit/fighter despite all their talk about getting tougher and meaner.

Unless ther is a trade developing that justifies this, MG screwed up in letting an asset like Patti go.

#102 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Did management pull the waiver trigger too early without knowing what Kesler's status was gonna be? What are the rules regarding placing a player on IR? I assume since Kes is out for a month to month-and-a-half, we could have put Kes on IR to free up a spot on the roster instead of waiving Volpatti. Am I missing something here?

IIRC he has to be inactive for 7 days first.

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#103 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

That's too bad. I like Volpatti. But, people need to tie their wigs down and chill. Volpatti was only on contract for this year, after which he was set to be an UFA. So, after this season we wouldn't have gotten anything for him anyway. And, let's be honest, we weren't getting too much for a guy who will never be anything more than a 4th line hulk. Just because a team will pick a guy like him up off waivers doesn't mean they were going to be willing to actually give up anything to get him.

As others have pointed out, he is a very similar player to others we have and Weise just edges him out.

Weise in 19 games: 6 fights, 2 pts (1GW), TOI/G 9:29
Volpatti in 16 games: 4 fights, 1 pt, TOI/G 7:18

So, sad to see you go, Volpatti. Best wishes in your career!
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#104 zoner.

zoner.

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

*sighs*

Definitely not the news I wanted to wake up to. It really does feel like this organization was cursed, nothing can go right. What happened to MG and Volpatti agreeing that he should get more ice time in the AHL? The quotes I'm seeing go out on Twitter seem to suggest that Patti may have disagreed... Gillis's credibility is going through the tubes right now.
Posted Image

#105 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

So you dont respect Weise and thats the reason you want your boy to knock him the f..k out yeah thats as about as clueless as it comes. Weise is still here because he has way more upside than Volpatti, he does much more overall than Aaron. Btw i think Weise would hold his own in a scrap with Volpatti. Dont throw the homer tag around when you are clearly riding Aarons bag.

So where is Weise's upside? I've been hearing people sock puppet that same line for the last couple of years, He gets fourth line points, he's 24, and people think he's going to suddenly break out and be a scorer? Please. I just don't see it. And he sucks dick at fighting. I'd much rather have Volpatti than the human punching bag.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 28 February 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#106 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

So where is Weise's upside? I've been hearing people sock puppet that same line for the last couple of years, He gets fourth line minutes, he's 24, and people think he's going to suddenly break out and be a scorer? Please. I just don't see it. And he sucks dick at fighting. I'd much rather have Volpatti than the human punching bag.

Because Volpatti will break out at 27?

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#107 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Feels like management is sleepwalking through these moves...why lose size when were small enough as it is..wow

#108 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,916 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Not happy about losing Patti as he played his role quite well. 4th liners, however, aren't going to make or break your team, so it's not a huge loss, but I still don't get the reason why he was placed on waivers.

#109 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

That's too bad. I like Volpatti. But, people need to tie their wigs down and chill. Volpatti was only on contract for this year, after which he was set to be an UFA. So, after this season we wouldn't have gotten anything for him anyway. And, let's be honest, we weren't getting too much for a guy who will never be anything more than a 4th line hulk. Just because a team will pick a guy like him up off waivers doesn't mean they were going to be willing to actually give up anything to get him.

As others have pointed out, he is a very similar player to others we have and Weise just edges him out.

Weise in 19 games: 6 fights, 2 pts (1GW), TOI/G 9:29
Volpatti in 16 games: 4 fights, 1 pt, TOI/G 7:18

So, sad to see you go, Volpatti. Best wishes in your career!

You realize that losing or barely drawing 6 fights isn't as good as winning the majority of 4, right? And wow, 1 extra point. Clearly, Dale Weise is awesome...

Edited by Moonshinefe, 28 February 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#110 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

How is my post "clueless"? If you're going to call somebody out at least make some sense. What's "clueless" about wanting a fighter and player you respect to win a fight against a fighter and player you don't respect? Because Weise is a Canuck and Volpatti isn't? Yeah that makes lots of sense. When somebody becomes a Canuck it doesn't make you obligated to fall in love with them.

Classless I can't take. Homers love to throw that word around.

i cringe every time i read some hockey fan using "classy" and "classless".....give it a break, meet and hang out with some NHL'ers and you will soon realize that class comparing is retarded. These guys like to drink, swear, shhitttalk, and screw as many broads as possible. so just drop the "class" talk.
This game is not about class, ask anyone that has played it, its about kicking ass, scoring goals,intimidation and brutality. The amount of crapt talking that goes on ice would explode eardrums of you 'class" whiners

if good fighters/big hitters are dime a dozen why arent there any on the canucks roster?

Kumbaya Canucks , same old story.
i try to have faith in Gillis but its getting difficult , maybe Gillis has some serious heavies coming in but not holding my breath.
(If we dont add some beef im burning my jersey by Rogers statue at the end of this season and finding a new team to support until this teams entire upper management is replaced and they start dressing some sandpaper )

Lost frackin a native of bc player fir nothing! He was the only pure grit player we had. Wr need to get rid of this management and coaches NOW!

i'm not happy with losing Volpatti either as this team is way too soft but not now, by the end of this season if we don't make any changes and get bounced out in 4-5 games first round then lets talk about blowing up the team.
Burke and Lindy Ruff need jobs and this team needs a new identity.

Kumbaya Canucks, just when you thought Gillis couldnt make them softer......surprise !
Just be thankful they can't yet clone Mason Raymond and roll 4 lines.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#111 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Because Volpatti will break out at 27?

Nobody said Volpatti was going to break out. I'm just saying it's retarded to say Weise has any upside. He's a 4th liner with terrible fighting skills.

#112 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hopefully Gillis can pick up another player and make us softer. Does this guy know what he's doing?

Posted Image

#113 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

A damned disgrace. MG has lost the plot.

I really liked Volpatti and I am pissed!

He's almost the one guy in the team who's game HADN'T dropped and we lose him on waivers.

Edited by Bodee, 28 February 2013 - 11:37 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#114 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

A damned disgrace. MG has lost the plot.

I really liked Volpatti and I am pissed!

Yep, so much for making this team 'tougher'. I guess MG wants our 4th liners to lose every fight as long as AV can keep his boyfriend.

#115 HKSR

HKSR

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Wasn't Manny put on IR a day or two after playing?

#116 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

With the Luongo, Manny situation, Volpatti being waived, Kes being injured, Kass warming the bench.

I think Gillis has no idea what to do and really wishes Hodgson was here.

:lol:

Posted Image

#117 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,671 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Nobody said Volpatti was going to break out. I'm just saying it's retarded to say Weise has any upside. He's a 4th liner with terrible fighting skills.

Weise is 3yrs younger and already has twice as many games under his belt as Volpatti. And he was drafted. Volpatti wasn't as is very fortunate that the Canucks gave him a shot.

Weise isn't all that great now, but he technically can pan out. While Volpatti never will. It's retarded to say Weise has zero upside. Heck, put him with the twins on the power play and he's the next Taylor Pyatt. lol
Posted Image

#118 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

My understanding is that is only in relation to LTIR and not just IR.

IR is the only thing that matters as it is a roster spot and not cap considerations we are talking about.

As soon as Kesler was injured you can put him on IR and replace him on the roster. They could have activated Pinizotto with that open roster spot.

The point is a little moot as they could have shuffled Schroeder around like I said above to get Pinizotto on his conditioning stint without exposing anyone to waivers.

The team took a risk and lost. I think it was a bad risk and almost everyone else seemed to think that Volpatti would get picked up. Turns out that was the correct assumption.

We lost an ex-Vernon Viper... he is only a 4th liner so no huge deal but odds are we will have to replace his skill set at some point this season.

Edited by Provost, 28 February 2013 - 11:42 AM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#119 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts

Well at least theres more in his weight class in the east

Edited by LeanBeaf, 28 February 2013 - 04:07 PM.

Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#120 garthsbutcher

garthsbutcher

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

So lets just clarify. In the last few days we have lost Patti and Kessler but have gained an Ebbett, oh god help us

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.