Another questionable move by Gillis.

#122 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,780 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

One positive from this 'dire circumstance' is now Kass will be called on to drop 'em a lot more.
Posted Image

#123 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Why couldn't it have been Weise lol

#124 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Those aren't the only options even if you make the assumption that the team didn't know Kesler was hurt (they did know or could have waited a day to make this move to confirm Kesler's condition).

You could have simply sent Schroeder down for a day to open up the spot (he is not subject to waivers). Then you could have activated Pinizotto... sent him on conditioning stint and recalled Schroeder in plenty of time for the next game.

The only reasonable answer is that they assumed Volpatti would clear.

If several teams put in claims you could have traded him for a 5th rounder or something.

Makes no sense unless there is a larger picture happening. Who do we have that is better for that role right now? Do we now not put Pinizotto on a conditioning stint as we need him in the lineup right away?

I am not convinced Schroeder is waiver exempt. Waiver rules have changed, for instance, there are no ore recall waivers.

http://www.mcsorleys...ules-explained/

Someone care to show me how I am not understanding Schroeders situation?

He played AHL & NHL games
09-10 (11) Manitoba
10-11 (61) Manitoba
11-12 (76) Chicago
12-13 (30) Chicago
12-13 (17) Vancouver
Total (195)
He was exempt for 160 games
Sig too big.

#125 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Holy hell, this is rather sad CDC. We lost VOLPATTI, and now suddenly everyone is on the hate MG train. Oh wait, everyone was already on that train, but knowing this fan base it's only going to take one trade to make him the best GM in the league again.

#126 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Holy hell, this is rather sad CDC. We lost VOLPATTI, and now suddenly everyone is on the hate MG train. Oh wait, everyone was already on that train, but knowing this fan base it's only going to take one trade to make him the best GM in the league again.

Opinions change as teh situation does.

What about that don't you understand?!

Based on the limited information available, it looks like MG mis-judged Volpatti's attraction to other teams and lost an asset for nothing. Not cool!

If this turns out to be part of a bigger better deal, then that added information will obviously change the opinions here.

#127 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Weise is 3yrs younger and already has twice as many games under his belt as Volpatti. And he was drafted. Volpatti wasn't as is very fortunate that the Canucks gave him a shot.

Weise isn't all that great now, but he technically can pan out. While Volpatti never will. It's retarded to say Weise has zero upside. Heck, put him with the twins on the power play and he's the next Taylor Pyatt. lol

He can pan out, but I seriously doubt it. I see a guy who admittedly tries very hard, but the skill just isn't there. I know it happens occasionally, but rarely do players suddenly 'break out' from 4th liner to something better at 24. I just think we need role players on the 4th line, and Weise while he tries to fight a lot.. just doesn't fit that role.

I really hope MG knows what he's doing, because to me, it looks like we just gave away our main fighter for nothing.

#128 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Why couldn't it have been Weise lol

Liked Volpatti more, but Weise has got some hands... Volpatti had none. Still, sad to see him go. I'll never forget the one-punch drop he delivered to San Jose's Brad Winchester. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GaYN4fp7QU
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#129 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Waive a 13th forward and people go nuts... unbelievable. The only reason people even give a rat's ass is because he's a BC native and yes, he always gave it his all.

Other than being a good hitter and a decent fighter? Nothing. Most of the time was lost in his own zone and couldn't make a play to save himself.

Weise may not be as good a fighter but offensively and defensively speaking he is markedly ahead.

#130 Unpredictables

Unpredictables

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Dang! Well, goodluck Volpatti! Our lost here.. Moving on..

#131 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

One positive from this 'dire circumstance' is now Kass will be called on to drop 'em a lot more.

Kass seems like he wants to be relied more on his offensive game then his physical game, I hope he develops his aggressive side more.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#132 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,603 posts

IIRC he has to be inactive for 7 days first.

No. IR can be put on once a player is injured or even retroactively. Otherwise a team couldn't make a roster spot available to bring in a replacement.

You may be thinking of the minimum time where he'd then have to stay on IR, which is 7 days, so it can't be a minor injury where he could return in 2 or 3 days. Sometimes if teams aren't sure how long a player will be out, they'll wait and then put them on retroactively to the start of the injury to allow for the extra roster spot. New Jersey just did this with Brodeur.

I am not convinced Schroeder is waiver exempt. Waiver rules have changed, for instance, there are no ore recall waivers.

09-10 (11) Manitoba
10-11 (61) Manitoba
11-12 (76) Chicago
12-13 (30) Chicago
12-13 (17) Vancouver
Total (195)

Well, he didn't have to clear waivers at the start of the season. He's now played 17 more NHL games, so unless he became waiver eligible in that time, he is still exempt.

Edited by elvis15, 28 February 2013 - 11:51 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#133 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

09-10 (11) Manitoba
10-11 (61) Manitoba
11-12 (76) Chicago
12-13 (30) Chicago
12-13 (17) Vancouver
Total (195)

Well as per the link you provided it makes it clear that it is NHL games that count and not AHL games.

Regardless, it is for the age reasons he is exempt still.

A player who signs at 18, 19 or 20 and then plays out his juniors eligibility, going pro (NHL or AHL) at 20, is most likely not going to play 160 NHL games before his three year exemption expires. For such players, the clock starts ticking at 20 (when they play their first AHL — or, less likely, NHL — game) and their exemptions run out when they’re 23.
(By which I mean, at the conclusion of the season ending in the year in which they turned 23.)

Schroeder is 22

Edited by Provost, 28 February 2013 - 11:50 AM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#134 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

I really dont understand this move. rather give a roster spot to a player who hasn't played one NHL game and has had two major shoulder injuries in the past 2 years over a fan favourite, guy who has the reputation of being everything that we have looked for in a fourth line player.

Sigh the sheer stupidity MG continues to conjure.

2moy3iq.png

#135 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

He can pan out, but I seriously doubt it. I see a guy who admittedly tries very hard, but the skill just isn't there. I know it happens occasionally, but rarely do players suddenly 'break out' from 4th liner to something better at 24. I just think we need role players on the 4th line, and Weise while he tries to fight a lot.. just doesn't fit that role.

I really hope MG knows what he's doing, because to me, it looks like we just gave away our main fighter for nothing.

Weise is willing to drop them and gets credit for that but he is not a good fighter. The team needed someone that can gain the momentum by fighting not lose it. Volpatti was far better suited to that role than Weise. If thei team kept Weise for his potential offensive upside, we're in really big doodoo.

THey wanted Kassian to be a tough intimidator but as soon as he showed offensive potential, they geared him back because he is too valuable to be in the box. WTF!! Then when he doesn't stand out, they bench him or limit him to 5 minutes a game. No wonder the kid looks lost out there and is pouting on the bench.

Starting to look like Nucks management is throwing darts in the dark to make decisions.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 28 February 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#136 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

You realize that losing or barely drawing 6 fights isn't as good as winning the majority of 4, right? And wow, 1 extra point. Clearly, Dale Weise is awesome...

You realize 2 is half, not the majority of fights, right? That's the number HockeyFights.com says Volpatti won. While you're there, check out the opponents Weise took on...

You also realize that that one extra "wow" point was a game winning goal, right?

You realize Weise has more average ice time, meaning he's contributing to the team in other ways too? (Other than in hits, Volpatti gets that one.)

And you realize snarkiness at other forum users who didn't even say anything bad about Volpatti isn't going to change anything, right? Neither is hating on the players that we still have because so many of our "fans" seem to think players get infinitely better the second they no longer play for us.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#137 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,566 posts

This bs reminds me of a Nonis F...k up

#138 Alexander.Edler

Alexander.Edler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Canucks give Volpatti to Caps to make them happy, now Luongo for Ovi is a go!!

/sarcasm

Posted Image

#139 Drummin' Canuck

Drummin' Canuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

09-10 (11) Manitoba
10-11 (61) Manitoba
11-12 (76) Chicago
12-13 (30) Chicago
12-13 (17) Vancouver
Total (195)

It only counts NHL games from what I understand:

http://thehockeywrit...l-waiver-rules/

EDIT: Sorry someone sort of mentioned this already.

Edited by Drummin' Canuck, 28 February 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#140 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

No. IR can be put on once a player is injured or even retroactively. Otherwise a team couldn't make a roster spot available to bring in a replacement.

You may be thinking of the minimum time where he'd then have to stay on IR, which is 7 days, so it can't be a minor injury where he could return in 2 or 3 days. Sometimes if teams aren't sure how long a player will be out, they'll wait and then put them on retroactively to the start of the injury to allow for the extra roster spot. New Jersey just did this with Brodeur.

Too much lawyer crap for me to figure out :P fair enough

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#141 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Opinions change as teh situation does.

What about that don't you understand?!

Based on the limited information available, it looks like MG mis-judged Volpatti's attraction to other teams and lost an asset for nothing. Not cool!

If this turns out to be part of a bigger better deal, then that added information will obviously change the opinions here.

"Opinions change as the situation does" is an understatement. With every little thing that happens, this website is ready to blow the whole team up (I'm not saying it's the case with everyone, but as you can tell it is the case with a lot of the users)! If the Canucks lose? Trade Kesler, fire AV. Line-up Change? Fire AV. Volpatti got claimed off waivers?? fDSAHGSDGKDSHAF.

In the context of this moment, I'm betting that Volpatti would've fetched a 6th or 7th rounder. People just don't like the idea of losing someone for free so everyone is starting to panic about the status of this team.

#142 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,713 posts

Meh, I've always thought he was a little overrated and benefited on having the core already on this team......................

Posted Image

#143 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

Volpatti was a piece Vancouver does need, but to be honest Dale Weise is the better player, offers more to the team and has a better skillset. Volpatti was more of a fan favorite who brings a lot of energy which cannot be discounted.

The loss of Volpatti won't be the Canucks demise, not to mention its very possible Pinizzotto will be in Vancouver sooner than later, and he will be a definate upgrade on Volpatti.

Washington is a better fit for Volpatti too, so this for his fans should work out.
Posted Image

#144 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

If Volpatti was considered our main fighter, then we need a fighter. Look, I liked Volpatti, but never considered him a great fighter. And if he was our fighter, then how come in the 16 games he played vs the 19 Weise played, Weise answered the bell 6 times, and sites 4th in the league for fights, and Volpatti only 4, placing him 20th or so?

My point is neither were really fighters
Sig too big.

#145 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

A damned disgrace. MG has lost the plot.

I really liked Volpatti and I am pissed!

He's almost the one guy in the team who's game HADN'T dropped and we lose him on waivers.

The only way this makes sense if he's replace with a serious heavyweight and judging by the Canucks Kumbaya management i'm not holding my breath
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#146 CanuckleHorse

CanuckleHorse

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Aaron is a player we all loved but he can be easily replaced by a bigger stronger version people. I liked his speed his grit but when he got his butt handed to him by Douglas Murray I felt we needed more toughness for that 4th line spot. Best wishes to you Aaron Nuck nation has love for you still you will be missed.

#147 Sestito29

Sestito29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Waive a 13th forward and people go nuts... unbelievable. The only reason people even give a rat's ass is because he's a BC native and yes, he always gave it his all.

Other than being a good hitter and a decent fighter? Nothing. Most of the time was lost in his own zone and couldn't make a play to save himself.

Weise may not be as good a fighter but offensively and defensively speaking he is markedly ahead.

People go nuts because this team has the softest group of forwards and we just lost pretty much or only grinder/fighter asides from Kassian.

#148 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

If Volpatti was considered our main fighter, then we need a fighter. Look, I liked Volpatti, but never considered him a great fighter. And if he was our fighter, then how come in the 16 games he played vs the 19 Weise played, Weise answered the bell 6 times, and sites 4th in the league for fights, and Volpatti only 4, placing him 20th or so?

My point is neither were really fighters

Well Konopka made Weise fight twice lmao. He once punched Winchester and usually wins most of his fights and hits like a freight train, but we don't need that... we need to get softer!

Edited by TheGame., 28 February 2013 - 11:57 AM.

Posted Image

#149 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Volpatti 1 point in 16 games
Weise 2 pts in 19 games

I think its safe to say, both aren't in the NHL to score...

That being said, Volpatti is a better hitter and fighter than Weise.

Weise however PKs

I'm not thrilled about this move as I feel like the team is too soft as is.

Edited by CanucksJay, 28 February 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#150 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,600 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Volpatti 1 point in 16 games
Weise 2 pts in 19 games

I think its safe to say, both aren't in the NHL to score...

That being said, Volpatti is a better hitter and fighter than Weise.

Weise however PKs

I'm not thrilled about this move as I feel like the team is too soft as is.

In all honesty PK is more important than fighting.

I do agree we need a hitter who can play that is not Volpatti so I'm ok with losing him.

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.