The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Volpatti CLAIMED by Caps

Strombone1

Yup, too bad he got claimed. He and his agent noted he hadn't heard much interest from the Caps before but had heard interest from some other teams, so he was surprised they claimed him.

TSNRyanRishaug

Source confirms Oilers were one of several teams who had a claim in on Volpatti. Caps lower in standings, they got him.

It was because of Pinizzotto coming off his injury.

We had a full roster of 23 already. There was a technical requirement to put Pinizzotto on the NHL roster before he could be assigned to Chicago for a conditioning assignment. Due to this we had to clear a roster spot. Volpatti got the nod. Now, IF Volpatti had cleared waivers, he could have played 10 games up before technically being required to be assigned to Chicago. I believe this was the plan. The team would then have had the time to evaluate Volpatti vs Pinizzotto and made a decision as to which to keep up with the big club. If Volpatti had gone past the 10 game mark, the waiver would simply expire, no harm, no foul. During the 10 game period and conditioning stint, we would technically have Pinizzotto on Van's roster while playing in Chi, and Volpatti on Chi's roster while playing in Van.

Other choices would have been:

Weise - (many believe a better choice than Volpatti, most likely Volpatti was chosen over Weise because Weise fills in on other lines, Volpatti never does)

Barker - gone for sure

Alberts - same, depth D we actually need at this point

After that we are into full time roster players.

We had a full roster of 23 already. There was a technical requirement to put Pinizzotto on the NHL roster before he could be assigned to Chicago for a conditioning assignment. Due to this we had to clear a roster spot. Volpatti got the nod. Now, IF Volpatti had cleared waivers, he could have played 10 games up before technically being required to be assigned to Chicago. I believe this was the plan. The team would then have had the time to evaluate Volpatti vs Pinizzotto and made a decision as to which to keep up with the big club. If Volpatti had gone past the 10 game mark, the waiver would simply expire, no harm, no foul. During the 10 game period and conditioning stint, we would technically have Pinizzotto on Van's roster while playing in Chi, and Volpatti on Chi's roster while playing in Van.

Weise - (many believe a better choice than Volpatti, most likely Volpatti was chosen over Weise because Weise fills in on other lines, Volpatti never does)

Barker - gone for sure

I liked Volpatti, but I am now curious to see how we can upgrade. If no trade happens, Ebbett will fill in for Kes, then i am not sure who will come up, Bill Sweatt maybe.

If a trade happens, we could see an upgrade, perhaps a Ryane Clowe or a Ryan O'Reilly, pretty far out there, just saying I am curious to see how we could use this

I'm starting to get really annoyed by theese decisions management has been making from the manny incident to putting patti on waivers and getting claimed. He had tremendous heart and put everything out on the ice, every shift. It kind of hurts because he was a fan favourite, and didn't fear anyone from a fight (reminds me of rick rypien, R.I.P). Really hope theres some plan behind these stupid moves such as jensen getting the call or pinizzotto getting a shot. Frustrating week with kes injured again :@

Barker - gone for sure

I liked Volpatti, but I am now curious to see how we can upgrade. If no trade happens, Ebbett will fill in for Kes, then i am not sure who will come up, Bill Sweatt maybe.

If a trade happens, we could see an upgrade, perhaps a Ryane Clowe or a Ryan O'Reilly, pretty far out there, just saying I am curious to see how we could use this

How is my post "clueless"? If you're going to call somebody out at least make some sense. What's "clueless" about wanting a fighter and player you respect to win a fight against a fighter and player you don't respect? Because Weise is a Canuck and Volpatti isn't? Yeah that makes lots of sense. When somebody becomes a Canuck it doesn't make you obligated to fall in love with them.

Classless I can't take. Homers love to throw that word around.

Did management pull the waiver trigger too early without knowing what Kesler's status was gonna be? What are the rules regarding placing a player on IR? I assume since Kes is out for a month to month-and-a-half, we could have put Kes on IR to free up a spot on the roster instead of waiving Volpatti. Am I missing something here?

Wow, what the f*** were they thinking? I thought this team wanted to be tougher to play against, and we gave our main fighter away for nothing. Volpatti was a great 4th liner for us so far this year and that's how we repay him, great. They must have known he'd get claimed off waivers.

I guess we get to watch Dale "the dutch all star" Weise get punched in the face repeatedly and lose fights from now on. I think AV has a Rome-crush on Weise and thinks he's going to be some sort of genuine scorer or something, not a freaking chance. Volpatti could actually win fights.

So I guess now what is our 4th line? A terrible enforcer with 0 hands in Weise, Lapierre who has been under performing considering his skills, and I guess we're going to call up some unproven 4th liner who's been injured for 30 years?

The Canucks management lately has been a joke.

Archived