The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[POLL] when will AV get the axe?

WindChaser

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If we make the playoffs and go even semi-deep, then he'll be here for a few more years. If we miss the playoffs entirely, he will probably go. But I have abut feeling GMMG will be out by then as well.

I wan't to point out that I wan't neither one gone. Both have done a great job here for years now. But I agree that if no success come out of this year and this GM can't get our goalie situation to a conclusion soon and some help on offense, then I'll jump some wagon and throw tomatoes his way when we pass him by on the street.

The only thing that AV does wrong imo is juggle the lines and can't find steady line-ups. Most notably throwing Kassian around like he could play any spot he's assigned to. Surely he isn't at that stage of his progression/career that he can do that without it hampering his progress.

Hamhuis, Garrison, Booth, Ballard and Higgins all say hello....you can also add Kassian (although I still wish we still had Cody H.....he would be centering the 2nd line right now). It is a little early to judge the trade so soon but right now, Cody is tearing it up with his new team and Kassian's play is inconsistent.

I thought he would have been done after the first round exit. But Gillis saw it as, its not the coaching fault, if Luongo lets in 10 goals in 2 games during the playoffs. He was also at a disadvantage without Daniel Sedin our best player. I guess thats why he's still around. But anything less then a first round win, he should be gone. I like him as a coach but I think it might be time, if we don't at least win 1 round this summer.

I think this is a stupid poll because it does not have a choice...he won't get axed.

You also have to have someone capable of doing a better job than AV to even consider that....and please don't say Lindi Ruff because he isn't half the coach that AV is.

Anything short of a conference final appearance I feel should be the criteria for keeping his job. I like AV but perhaps it's time for a change for everyone because this evidently is not working anymore.

AV has a team that was missing two thirds of their second line at 10-4-4. He has also managed to keep two number one goalies happy with their ice time. He is the winningest coach in Canucks history, he has coached this team to back to back president trophies and a Stanley cup final game seven when the team was missing their number one dman from game one, their number seven dman, Raymond, a hurt Kesler, and no team toughness at all.

My question is what has the GM given him to work with when improvements were required? A quality playmaker for the 2nd line? Nope. A tough hard nosed dman for the top 4? Nope. A tough 4th liner to protect the twins? Nope. Some experienced vet to show some leadership during the playoffs? Nah. How about a serviceable centre when we knew our 2nd line centre was down? Ebbett? Nope.

Fire MG before AV.

If MG does not relieve AV of his position after another first round exit then MG should go with him. Because in not doing so, I would then start questioning MG's motives as I've already been questioning AV's. And as someone has stated, he should have already been gone. For me it would have been mid season after the cup run, and probably when the coach had issues with Hodgson when Hodgson was the only one getting the W for the team. What coach would have issues with that? Baffling?? Or play an injured player excessive minutes or have them play positions that don't promote their best performance or sit on one goal leads time and time again when history has shown it to be a losing strategy. Letting his goalie hang out to dry rather then pulling him and give the team a chance to bounce back. With a different coach/approach last season, I believe we could have gotten much further in the playoffs and a fighting chance at the Cup. Their performance in the last quarter was lackluster at best.

If there was any single reason to fire AV it was for allowing his goaltender to dictate his coaching decision in pandering to his ego during a piss-poor performance by neglecting to pull him rather making the best decision for the team in game 3 of the SCF.

If the Canucks miss the playoffs or go out in the first round I could see AV losing his job (he'll probably have another coaching job in the NHL the very next day).

Rogers Arena has a long sellout streak...As long as the Aquilini's own the club and Gillis keeps the team competitive.....MG will keep his title.

Archived