Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[POLL] when will AV get the axe?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

Poll: [POLL] when will AV get the axe? (167 member(s) have cast votes)

When will AV get the axe?

1. 5 more games if we keep playing like garbage (35 votes [21.08%])

Percentage of vote: 21.08%

2. not for the next 5 games but still some time before trade deadline (12 votes [7.23%])

Percentage of vote: 7.23%

3. if we get eliminated from playoffs (94 votes [56.63%])

Percentage of vote: 56.63%

4. nah, we'll win the cup so he'll keep his job (25 votes [15.06%])

Percentage of vote: 15.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Question for the mods- What is the criteria for locking a thread?

- and they lock it; very comical. What is the criteria? anything MG doesn't like or makes him look bad gets locked down. (I'd like to know who these people are. Let's have some names.)

#32 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

So OP what your saying is the coach had the team playing really well, without their second line centre and yet you want him fired? Go figure. I've never understood why AV gets so much critism on CDC yet GM MG gets a free pass. This team has consistently been one of the best teams in the West under AV's leadership yet people want him canned. These same people overlook the number of overpayed under performing players MG has recently brought to the Canucks (Ballard, Booth, Garrison or past players like Strum), the massive Luongo contract or some poor trades (Hodgson, Ballard).
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#33 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Only if we go out in the first round or miss the playoffs.

#34 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Fire both MG and AV and bring back Brian Burke and Lindy Ruff.

#35 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Honestly. If we don't win the cup this season. He needs to go.

Anything short of a conference final appearance I feel should be the criteria for keeping his job. I like AV but perhaps it's time for a change for everyone because this evidently is not working anymore.
Posted Image

#36 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

I would sack MG before I would sack AV. The guy has given us NOTHING in 2 years. However in that time he has seen off Sammy, Sami, Hodgson, Erhoff, Manny (although Manny is trying to resist it) Rome, Sulzer and now Volpatti.

Arguably we got next to nothing back for these stalwarts.

Just curious. When we traded Sammy for Booth were you dissapointed?

I was ecstatic because I thought we finally landed a dominant 2nd line player

#37 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Question for the mods- What is the criteria for locking a thread?

- and they lock it; very comical. What is the criteria? anything MG doesn't like or makes him look bad gets locked down. (I'd like to know who these people are. Let's have some names.)

You shouldn't talk about that... i got a warning point.... :sadno:

#38 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,622 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

av will be let go sometime after mike gillis gets fired.

#39 vancouverdepression

vancouverdepression

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Lindy Ruff please..... AV has to go unless they make a huge cup run (doubtful)

#40 37yrsncounting

37yrsncounting

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

2nd line hurt, 3rd line center retires, no capable replacements

defensive coverage sucks (rick bowness department)

why fire AV for this?

#41 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I don't think its the coaching staff thats at fault. It's the players not performing at this point.
Posted Image

#42 1970 and beyond

1970 and beyond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

I don't think its the coaching staff thats at fault. It's the players not performing at this point.

Which is the responsibility of the coaches to fix.

Been a fan from day one. Some of those days were good and some were bad.

#43 bryguy26

bryguy26

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Never. As long as gillis is at the helm. Kinda reminds me how burke got canned cause he wouldn't let go of his chum Wilson. AV is a master manipulator and has gillis by the balls.
Posted Image

#44 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

If we make the playoffs and go even semi-deep, then he'll be here for a few more years. If we miss the playoffs entirely, he will probably go. But I have abut feeling GMMG will be out by then as well.

I wan't to point out that I wan't neither one gone. Both have done a great job here for years now. But I agree that if no success come out of this year and this GM can't get our goalie situation to a conclusion soon and some help on offense, then I'll jump some wagon and throw tomatoes his way when we pass him by on the street.
The only thing that AV does wrong imo is juggle the lines and can't find steady line-ups. Most notably throwing Kassian around like he could play any spot he's assigned to. Surely he isn't at that stage of his progression/career that he can do that without it hampering his progress.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#45 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Fire both MG and AV and bring back Brian Burke and Lindy Ruff.

no thanks
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#46 Bagofcats

Bagofcats

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hamhuis, Garrison, Booth, Ballard and Higgins all say hello....you can also add Kassian (although I still wish we still had Cody H.....he would be centering the 2nd line right now). It is a little early to judge the trade so soon but right now, Cody is tearing it up with his new team and Kassian's play is inconsistent.

Garrison is bad
Booth is terrible
Ballard has 0 points in 19 games/ 4.2 mil

#47 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

I thought he would have been done after the first round exit. But Gillis saw it as, its not the coaching fault, if Luongo lets in 10 goals in 2 games during the playoffs. He was also at a disadvantage without Daniel Sedin our best player. I guess thats why he's still around. But anything less then a first round win, he should be gone. I like him as a coach but I think it might be time, if we don't at least win 1 round this summer.

Winning 1 round isn't good enough anymore. That would be taking steps backward which we already did last year.

#48 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

I think this is a stupid poll because it does not have a choice...he won't get axed.
You also have to have someone capable of doing a better job than AV to even consider that....and please don't say Lindi Ruff because he isn't half the coach that AV is.

Lindy Ruff is on par with AV to say the least and outdoes him in one very important aspect, he actually coaches his players.

#49 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

after MG

#50 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

I believe MG will get axed before AV, he doesnt have the balls to fire AV so the owners would probably fire him before he does something stupid like trade CS.

#51 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,262 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

If we miss the Playoffs.

307mg00.jpg

#52 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

3 years ago and it didn't happen

#53 kassian's lost tooth

kassian's lost tooth

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Anything short of a conference final appearance I feel should be the criteria for keeping his job. I like AV but perhaps it's time for a change for everyone because this evidently is not working anymore.

Yup! Although I think he's past his expiry date, he'll still be given plenty of chances by the gm and ownership.

#54 PLOGUE

PLOGUE

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

AV has a team that was missing two thirds of their second line at 10-4-4. He has also managed to keep two number one goalies happy with their ice time. He is the winningest coach in Canucks history, he has coached this team to back to back president trophies and a Stanley cup final game seven when the team was missing their number one dman from game one, their number seven dman, Raymond, a hurt Kesler, and no team toughness at all.
My question is what has the GM given him to work with when improvements were required? A quality playmaker for the 2nd line? Nope. A tough hard nosed dman for the top 4? Nope. A tough 4th liner to protect the twins? Nope. Some experienced vet to show some leadership during the playoffs? Nah. How about a serviceable centre when we knew our 2nd line centre was down? Ebbett? Nope.
Fire MG before AV.
QUOTE (ephysdad @ Oct 26 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or then of course there's always the Ferry

Also,
I'm putting together a list of the criteria to be a "real" Canuck's fan. So far I have this:

1. I cheer for the Canucks, whatever happens.
2. I never say anything bad about the Canucks.
3. I know the difference between "real" fans and posers just by how they post on the CDC or where they sit at GM Place.
4. I wouldn't dream of leaving a game before it ended, even if it meant missing a train, ferry or a threesome with the wife and her hot best friend?
5. I make 10+ posts a day and I have over 10,000 posts on the CDC, so my Canuck "street-cred" is huge. Go away noob!
6. No one F's with me. I train in MMA. I'm really tough. I'll curb stomp yo' donkey.
7. I make a tonne of $$$$.
8. I'm witty.
9. If it meant missing a game, I wouldn't study for a midterm.
10. I roll with a guy who has a wicked car.
11. I like to post "source?" a lot.

#55 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

If MG does not relieve AV of his position after another first round exit then MG should go with him. Because in not doing so, I would then start questioning MG's motives as I've already been questioning AV's. And as someone has stated, he should have already been gone. For me it would have been mid season after the cup run, and probably when the coach had issues with Hodgson when Hodgson was the only one getting the W for the team. What coach would have issues with that? Baffling?? Or play an injured player excessive minutes or have them play positions that don't promote their best performance or sit on one goal leads time and time again when history has shown it to be a losing strategy. Letting his goalie hang out to dry rather then pulling him and give the team a chance to bounce back. With a different coach/approach last season, I believe we could have gotten much further in the playoffs and a fighting chance at the Cup. Their performance in the last quarter was lackluster at best.

Edited by Mauii, 28 February 2013 - 09:24 PM.

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#56 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

If there was any single reason to fire AV it was for allowing his goaltender to dictate his coaching decision in pandering to his ego during a piss-poor performance by neglecting to pull him rather making the best decision for the team in game 3 of the SCF.

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

rsz_theylive.jpg 11477626583_2368927097.jpg  7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#57 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

3 years ago. :mad:
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#58 Salo'sBomb

Salo'sBomb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Posted Image

#59 SunnyHours

SunnyHours

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

I sincerely hope it's this season. I believe our window closes significantly after this year with the cap being lowered. This team needs a kick in the ass and AV has gotten stale.

I just wonder of MG is too stubborn to admit it.

#60 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

If the Canucks miss the playoffs or go out in the first round I could see AV losing his job (he'll probably have another coaching job in the NHL the very next day).

Rogers Arena has a long sellout streak...As long as the Aquilini's own the club and Gillis keeps the team competitive.....MG will keep his title.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.