The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Asset Management lately (grade)

Lui's Knob

I'll give MG some credit as the current Canucks GM that he's had a very impressive and quality start to his tenure, up until the surprising Hodgson deal. He's tried to make some bold moves (signing Sundin, signing Luongo to long term deal), attempted to find some reclamation project players (Torres, Lapierre, etc), but I feel lately his player/asset management has been nothing but an embarassing and oddly inexplicable failure...

1) Luongo/Schneider debacle since the playoffs and the fact he's still here (including the drama with McPhee and Nonis)

2) Malhotra decision (which appears he wants out but Gillis doesn't want him traded)

3) Inexplicable reason for putting Volpatti on waivers (and getting nothing for him in return; perhaps McPhee's way of accepting Gillis' apology)

4) The whole Kesler injury thing with him, his Agent and AV/MG

5) Kesler again playing injured when he should of sat (played on a broken foot since Dallas game; now out 1-2 months)

6) Kassian getting 5 minutes on the 4th line (how does this help his play when we need him to be contributing on the top 6 forwards?)

7) Picking up Cam Barker....Cam Barker?? (how about Ben Lovejoy for a pick?)

8) Inability to recognize the team has been missing a major intangible (drive?determination/scoring?coaching?depth? special teams?toughness?grit?leadership?ethic?) in their game since the SC Finals or at least since the Boston game last year...

9) The constant dealing with Florida and somehow we end up with damaged and somewhat overpriced goods (see Booth = injured, overvalued; Ballard = also injured, tough tranisition, still barely played; and even now Garrison= again also injured, tough start to season, although I'll give him more time to adjust but not off to a great start)

Who knows who's making the calls particularly this season (let's hope it's not Dave Gagner, our Florida 'throw-in' for Bure and who mis-managed Cody at the time), but they're not like previous years of asset management/top class NHL standard under MG's reign...what gives?

All depends on the big picture /plan. But with what's been made known to the public, the things that actually have happened and haven't and the situation at hand and how it has been implemented - is questionable.

Up until last summer, I think GMMG has done a good job. Now I'm not so sure about what he's been up to lately...

All depends on the big picture /plan. But with what's been made known to the public, the things that actually have happened and haven't and the situation at hand and how it has been implemented - is questionable.

Up until last summer, I think GMMG has done a good job. Now I'm not so sure about what he's been up to lately...

Ok i agree someone is asleep at the wheel of this ship. however, lets at least assign blame to the right spots if we are going to do this;

1) lluongo/schneider is a good thing. If it werent for 2 awsome goalies we would be a basement team this year.

2) I agree malhotra should be traded if he wants to play still. Only good if someone wants him tho.

3) remains to be seen what the reason for this is, Im sure an interviewer will ask.

4) whaat? kesler was trolling the media.

5) A broken foot can feel like a bruising (remember it was missed by x-rays), Also a skate-boot makes a pretty damn good cast. at least blame the medical staff for clearing him to play. Last i checked MG doesnt do medical.

6) This is a coaching decision, you nut. MG doesnt coach.

7) Barker is a depth pickup. he hasnt even played in the big club this year. Why does it matter?

8) again you seem to be confusing MG for part of the coaching staff.

Canuck Fans...... :picard:

1) Luongo/Schneider debacle since the playoffs and the fact he's still here (including the drama with McPhee and Nonis) Yea i really hate Gillis , Damn him for giving us the best goaltending duo over the last three years :sadno:

2) Malhotra decision (which appears he wants out but Gillis doesn't want him traded) Malhotra will be part of the coaching staff him and Gillis talked about other options for next year thats why he wasnt traded

3) Inexplicable reason for putting Volpatti on waivers (and getting nothing for him in return; perhaps McPhee's way of accepting Gillis' apologyoh my Gillis just gave away a career minor leaguer for nothing :picard:

4) The whole Kesler injury thing with him, his Agent and AV

MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE BLAMING KESLER HIS AGENT AND THE MEDIA

5) Kesler again playing injured when he should of sat (played on a broken foot since Dallas game; now out 1-2 months)

XRAYS SHOWED NO BROKEN BONES WHEN HE CAME HOME THEY DID A CT SCAN shows a hairline fracture

6) Kassian getting 5 minutes on the 4th line (how does this help his play when we need him to be contributing on the top 6 forwards?) ever herd of a utility player can play all 4 lines thats a tool for AV to utilise

7) Picking up Cam Barker....Cam Barker?? (how about Ben Lovejoy for a pick?)

wow crying about barker ... the guy hasnt even played yet :emot-parrot:

8) Inability to recognize the team has been missing a major intangible (drive?determination/scoring?coaching?depth? special teams?toughness?grit?leadership?ethic?) in their game since the SC Finals or at least since the Boston game last year...

you do realize the canucks are stanley cup favorites right we have plenty of drive?determination/scoring?coaching?depth? special teams?toughness?grit?leadership?ethic?

9) The constant dealing with Florida and somehow we end up with damaged and somewhat overpriced goods (see Booth = injured, overvalued; Ballard = also injured, tough tranisition, still barely played; and even now Garrison= again also injured, tough start to season, although I'll give him more time to adjust but not off to a great start

only thing I agree with is signing ballard

GO CANUCKS GO

let the haters hate

cdc has so many people that are smarter than gillis, better coaches than AV and better players than what's on the team...personally, i've never managed, coach or played in the nhl, so i can't say that i'm right and they are wrong...what i like about them, is they don't panic and make dumb moves that don't help the club or fit into the cap space.....AV will get this team back on track and gillis will make changes that make sense...

cdc has so many people that are smarter than gillis, better coaches than AV and better players than what's on the team...personally, i've never managed, coach or played in the nhl, so i can't say that i'm right and they are wrong...what i like about them, is they don't panic and make dumb moves that don't help the club or fit into the cap space.....AV will get this team back on track and gillis will make changes that make sense...

MG had a plan to build a team based on what he thought the NHL wanted which was speed and finnesse. When the league decided to allow the Bruins to brutalize those kinds of players with impunity in front of the whoel world, it was obvious, MG missed the boat (perhaps not his fault).

His ability to re-build the team to one that can withstand that kind of playing environment while retaining it's offence has been less than stellar.

He appears lost as to what the identity of this team is and it shows in the on-ice product.

HIs decision (or support) to go with Cory in the playoffs last year was a bold one and could be respected at the time. Had he dealt aLU and set the team on a new direction, it woudl have made sense. Failing to pull the trigger before this seaosn started has not played well with LU's value or the team (Cory) and now is a mess.

MG really needs to pull a rabbit from his hat that addresses all this and puts the team back on a clear path. RIght now, it looks like a rudderless ship.

this just proves how brainless MG is , when that trade went down he looked into the camera with a straight face and said this is the player we need in our lineup today to help this team go deep in the playoffs , no one else anywhere said he was ready to make an impact but MG. All analysts on tsn, sportsnet ect all said kassian is still a few years away from making an impact but MG thought he knew better than them. and he was dead wrong. hes coasting on a core of players that nonis and burke put in place. MG and AV are the equvilant of bill clinton (hear me out) everyone looks back to how good the economy was in the states when bill was incharge, he was a good pres ,but the tech and internet boom that provided hundreds of thousands of jobs in the states just happend to happen when he was president he had nothing to do with it. MG and AV just happen to be in charge when these great players that other GMs brought in hit their prime. AV didnt turn sedins kesler burrows ect into the players they are and MG didnt bring them in.

Archived